The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Josh Archibald out indefinitely due to heart condition

Rate this topic

BuT gOd GaVe ME aN iMmUnE SyStEM!!!!!!!

More of a reason to get your Covid vaccine. If a "healthy" NHL player can develop a career threatening heart condition, anybody can.

And this tweet sort of sums up my thoughts on this situation:

Edited by Quantum
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 2

The heart condition is probably why he doesn't want to get vaccinated. 

4 minutes ago, Quantum said:

BuT gOd GaVe ME aN iMmUnE SyStEM!!!!!!!

More of a reason to get your Covid vaccine. If a "healthy" NHL player can develop a career threatening heart condition, anybody can.

And this tweet sort of sums up my thoughts on this situation:

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 5
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

covid gave him the heart condition. Its really sad, the fear over a vaccine giving you the same condition isn't justified, but its much more likely you get it from covid :sadno:

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Covid gave him the heart condition. He didn't get vaccinated this summer when he had the chance and this is what it cost him. Elliotte Friedman basically confirmed it here:

36 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart that can lead to cardiac arrest if the heart rate is elevated.  There is no way he would have been training in the summer if he knew he had it.  It's a consequence of having had Covid this summer.  

He's not the 1st one either.  Marco Rossi and Alex Stalock both developed myocarditis following Covid - vaccination wasn't available yet.  Stalock was completely asymptomatic and couldn't believe he had tested positive.  He even initially refused to undergo cardiac screening thinking it was a waste of time.  He's been out over a year now and is unlikely to play this season.  

Rossi reported to camp after the U20 and failed his medical.  It's only then that they discovered that he had developed the heart condition although he was cleared to play at the U20.  His situation was so severe that he had his parents sleeping in his room because he didn't want to be alone should his heart stop in the middle of the night.

Edited by mll
  • Sad 3
  • Vintage 2

That's tough, I feel for the guy. But yeah, it's the result of a decision he made. Sucks that the result of a choice he made could be the end of his career, but it is what it is at this point. 

All the more reason for any NHL holdouts to get vaccinated, and for anyone to get vaccinated for that matter. If it can lay professional athletes low it can have serious negative consequences for anyone. 

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'll point out that nothing in this thread definitively tells us Archibald did not get vaccinated.

He may have been vaccinated and had a break through case.

Sad news, none the less.

Ive been reading a bit about this guy.  He’s said some ‘interesting’ things about Covid, Vaccines, Fauci, and conspiracies over the last year.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'll point out that nothing in this thread definitively tells us Archibald did not get vaccinated.

He may have been vaccinated and had a break through case.

Sad news, none the less.

At the start of camp Holland revealed that their only unvaccinated player was Archibald.  Teams and the league have to know the vaccination status of the players because of protocols.   Archibald was at camp skating but had trouble getting up to speed so underwent additional testing and that's the outcome.

• Thanks 1