The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ don’t be too shocked when the Panthers waive bye bye to you in a month.  

I dunno Alf, this feels like a bit of a letdown move to me. I would have preferred to see what OJ could do over 10 games.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No he didn't? 

His draft year he played 5 games, but my point is he was on the team full time the next year. He did not spend anytime time in the AHL. (Yes I know he played at U of Mich his draft year).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Hamonic situation really screwed us in that regard. Having Poolman and Hamonic to play alongside Hughes and Rathbone could have balanced our pairings quite nicely. As it stands we're in desperate need of someone with a D first game to play alongside Rathbone, ideally someone that can play both sides so we can send out decent PK pairings.

The trade really does smell of desperation, It’s all about this year and the decisions Benning is making leave little consideration for the years after.  And I agree Hamonic screwed Benning leaving him little choice.  That being said Benning has been pretty good at turning Lemons into lemonade of late.  I really like OEL, I think he’s going to have a good year.  He’s playing like he’s got something to prove.   Garland hasn’t shown me much but we’ll see.  

• Vintage 1

Traded for a 4th liner and a recently waived hometown kid. Not bad I guess. The positive is we can call up and send down Juulsen without waivers right? Although, I'd rather have Gadjovich as that 4th liner/depth guy but that's tears for another thread. I honestly think Juolevi was a top 6 guy. I can be totally out to lunch. But I just feel it when I watch him play. But with OEL Hughes and Rathbone he just got squeezed out. Juulsen is right handed. Something we need with Hamonic's future up in the air. And like I said he can come and go from Abbotsford thanks to clearing waivers already. Lammikko is a solid enough depth player.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he'll develop into a solid 3rd or 4th defenseman over time. I actually thought he was more consistent than Rathbone..basically not a fan of the trade. Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Green played for Al Arbor too, so he likely learned a lot from a great coach.  Plus, Green played in the league in roles as a skilled guy and as a checker.  He understands the game on multiple levels, and knows what players need to do to be at their best, and how each guy needs to play to help the team win.  

If Demko plays like Bubble Boy Green will be looked at as a genius.  If Demko struggles Green is a goner.  

Well if he's great in the post-season and good in the season let's hope it follows he should be just okay in the pre-season, so nothing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

I guess Green wants to implement a system where the players are always actively challenging the puck carrier, which requires the players to be in good conditions (stamina)  and/or be good skaters. That's why Green likes Rathbone, a good skater and very active. And that's why OJ wasn't preferred, he didn't meet either of the two conditions, at least JV could skate and hence he was given a relatively longer leash compared to OJ.

OJ is more of a cerebral type that likes to observe and anticipate the play and be in the right position defensively. I think there will be a coach and a team that can turn OJ into a serviceable defender at the NHL level. Too bad it wasn't us.

Green's system is good if given the players that can execute it. When it fails, it's going to lead to a lot of goals against. Going to be a boom or bust season much like last season. A lot hinges on Demko's ability to shut the door and the players staying healthy. Even 2019-20 season, if not for Marky's heroic efforts, we are not going to the playoffs.

A great coach designs a system that maximizes the players values. And although Green is a promising coach and his system is interesting, I don't know if he has enough experience at this level to implement the system that he wants or if the system that he wants to implement is the best given the roster that we have.

I think Green should be on a short leash himself at this point. We bled quite a few assets due to him insisting on implementing his system. If we are struggling in the first 20 -25 games, Green should be let go and Shaw should step in as the interim coach.

This, good points. I was receptive to Green coming back with new assistants, but Baumer is still here and I haven't been a fan of how our preseason has played out. I'm not the only one, clearly.

I don't think he's a great coach, maybe someday he will be, but I don't think he is as of now. If not for Marky playing out of his mind he'd have no playoff appearances to his name. If we stumble at the beginning of the season I hope JB's prepared to be ruthless, new contract or not. I don't want to waste the youth and prime of our stars for an inadequate head coach.

58 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’ve defended Green for the longest time, but it’s pretty apparent that he doesn’t like the type of gritty hockey a lot of Canucks fans want to see. 

And then there's this, bingo. There's a disconnect between the style of play fans seem to want and what Green tries to implement. And this isn't to say the fans are always right, but there's no NHL profit without us. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Sounds like the type of guy that would make a spectacle out of himself by taking a nap on the ice after a bag skate.

It was dramatic yes but we don’t know if the guy was truly winded or experiencing acute physical exhaustion or something else that necessitated a time out.  Easy to mock but OJ has been through a lot of crap physically in a short time, so, while I didn’t like seeing it either, maybe it’s time we all cut the guy a little slack. He’s tried to show up for the team when asked to do so. That’s worth respecting. 
That said, he was due for a fresh start anyway.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Loosing Gadjovich to SJ and trading Tyler Madden are the moves that really bug me.

Juolevi was a bad draft pick and Benning went down with the ship on that pick and sold low. 

Juulsen is still young enough to salvage his career. I see him in a similar situation to Petan. Playing for his favorite team will help motivate him. 

RD is probably like this now

Poolman

Myers

Schenn

Bowey

Juulsen / Bouroughs 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alternatively, he manages to hang on and have success with what should be a dangerous Panthers group, leading us to question why we've had so many youth failing to have success here. Petey, Brock, and Hughes being the exceptions, they're talented enough to have had success regardless of who the head coach was.

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

For those so hung up on OJ being a first rounder;

Noah Juulson is a former 1st round pick and Juho Lammikko is a former 3rd round pick.

Canucks win!

Well that is a creative, yet entirely disingenuous, way to invent a narrative.

Can you point to any trade where a team gave up a 5th overall for a 26th overall and a 3rd round pick as the sweetener?  That isn't reasonable value at all.

There were actually reports that Vancouver was offered the 13th pick and the 21st pick in the draft in exchange for the pick used on Juolevi... and that was turned down as not fair value.

19 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup. And the fact that he’s had YEARS of experience in TG’s training camps yet he came in and allowed the “conditioning skate” destroy him like it did…make him appear unprofessional in fact…said a hell of a lot about him in my opinion. And just stop with the COVID excuse.  OJ himself said it wasn’t a factor and that he felt “great” in camp. And lots of Canuck players had COVID.

I hope he finds his game in Florida, as I hope Juulsen finds his game here. This was a classic trade in the vein of hoping a change of scenery can work wonders.

For OJ, not sure a lame hockey market like Florida is the thing to light a fire in his belly though. Hometown for Juulsen, maybe. But then there is the Jake thing. But well worth a try, I agree with Jimbo on that.

I think that may be my last post in which I mention Olli Juolevi.

Very well said.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, I agree. I don't hate Rathbone - far from it. I just don't understand this lovefest with him. JR has an incomplete defensive game, similar to Hughes. Why are we so eager to plug him into a lineup where his development could be harmed?

I won't disagree with you.....JR takes some chances and gets himself in trouble sometimes.  BUT, he did outwork OJ and he was the more noticeable player in terms of making plays, first passes, etc.  When he makes a mistake, he gets back.  OJ made some nice defensive plays but he, in my eyes, made the same number of mistakes without the good things that JR is showing.

Not saying OJ didn't deserve more of a chance (I think he did), but I do see how coaches would rather lose OJ than JR right now.  You can teach systems, but you can't teach someone to outwork others as easily.  

I guess the best way I'm looking at this is, if OJ wasn't drafted as a high first rounder, would I care so much?  He's 23.  To be honest, I think most of the hope for OJ was based on not losing pride with his draft position and less about the raw talent that we've seen so far.

6 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Juulsen is still young enough to salvage his career. I see him in a similar situation to Petan. Playing for his favorite team will help motivate him. 

The thing is, I'm tired of hoping players will be more motivated when they play for the Canucks.  It might work out well with OEL but I'd rather see us get players who are motivated regardless of who they play for.