The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

"We are excited to welcome another young defenseman like Olli to our organization," Panthers general manager Bill Zito said. "We look forward to Olli developing with our club as he joins our deepening core on the blueline."

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

For those so hung up on OJ being a first rounder;

Noah Juulson is a former 1st round pick and Juho Lammikko is a former 3rd round pick.

Canucks win!

Ha ha, you could probably sell weeds (non-medicinal) to a farmer - Nice try!

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

"We are excited to welcome another young defenseman like Olli to our organization," Panthers general manager Bill Zito said. "We look forward to Olli developing with our club as he joins our deepening core on the blueline."

Olli better call in sick on bag skate days. 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

There might be some truth to this.  Not just the bag skate but coming into camp out of shape.

For good or ill we’re all-in this year and done hedging our bets hoping for guys to pay off in the future.

Too many people dismissed this point and said "bag skates are team building exercises" many times.  Bag skates aren't easy but if you're lagging behind as a 23 year old and if you're on your back at the end, you've kind of countered the team-building part too.  This is the NHL.....if you're out of shape, you have to be more skilled than everyone else.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup. And the fact that he’s had YEARS of experience in TG’s training camps yet he came in and allowed the “conditioning skate” destroy him like it did…make him appear unprofessional in fact…said a hell of a lot about him in my opinion. And just stop with the COVID excuse.  OJ himself said it wasn’t a factor and that he felt “great” in camp. And lots of Canuck players had COVID.

I hope he finds his game in Florida, as I hope Juulsen finds his game here. This was a classic trade in the vein of hoping a change of scenery can work wonders.

For OJ, not sure a lame hockey market like Florida is the thing to light a fire in his belly though. Hometown for Juulsen, maybe. But then there is the Jake thing. But well worth a try, I agree with Jimbo on that.

I think that may be my last post in which I mention Olli Juolevi.

This is basically where I'm at. I've been a big supporter of OJ (and I still feel he's got top 4 upside IF he puts in the effort). But after his first healthy offseason to gain strength and NHL level conditioning (and as you pointed out, knowing exactly what was waiting for him at camp) and not doing so... That's not the commitment level he needs to make this team/become that top 4D.

That's ALL on him.

We moved him for basically a right sided version of the same. Former first round, defensive leaning, two way D who has struggled with injury issues. And we got a versatile 4th liner on top. Seems a good deal IMO.

Hopefully both players can find success with their change of scenery... Hopefully OJ doesn't 'Bennett' us though :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

This offseason is wild. It makes Jim seem poor at drafting, when all your top prospects: Virtanen, Gadjovich, Juolevi, Lind and (earlier) Gaudette, leave for little to no return. It makes giving up a 1st round pick this season a little more difficult to swallow. 

As for the Juolevi pick at the time, I remember losing my mind over not getting Tkachuk. But, you saw that Juolevi was a winner. He won in every league and tournament he played in and was the main defender each time. Injuries absolutely slowed the kid down. No it seems like a bad pick, but I think it was a good pick struck by bad luck and misfortune. Hope all the best for him. 

Edited by Top Sven Baercheese
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

If the Canucks can somehow get Radko Gudas, that would be amazing.

Expecting Juulsen, Nutivaara, or Lammiko though.

No ones given you credit yet for your prognostication?  Here you go Darkstar, a gold star.

NqK1jZu-al2lmfY5BhiFk0qzJl4OdBZ8d10v3kPv

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ is gone; he’s dead to me.  Hell he was mostly dead here, especially after that bag skate!  :lol:

image.thumb.jpeg.8c13716252546005c38de07392a54f92.jpeg

Dead to you or not, if he goes on to thrive in Florida a lot of folks round here will be asking questions as to why. 

Sometimes players need a change of scenery, we shall see. But after seeing Juolevi and Gadjovich move on this preseason, and waiver caliber tweeners play over prospects last season, I'm skeptical regarding the folks in charge.

• Cheers 4

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well that is a creative, yet entirely disingenuous, way to invent a narrative.

Can you point to any trade where a team gave up a 5th overall for a 26th overall and a 3rd round pick as the sweetener?  That isn't reasonable value at all.

There were actually reports that Vancouver was offered the 13th pick and the 21st pick in the draft in exchange for the pick used on Juolevi... and that was turned down as not fair value.

now who's being disingenuous? no GM makes that trade.

I'm not thrilled that this is the end of the line, here at least, for OJ but no one saw that injury history coming. I get being made about Tkapuke, but no one foresaw the rest of it.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Too many people dismissed this point and said "bag skates are team building exercises" many times.  Bag skates aren't easy but if you're lagging behind as a 23 year old and if you're on your back at the end, you've kind of countered the team-building part too.  This is the NHL.....if you're out of shape, you have to be more skilled than everyone else.

I don’t think it was the be-all and end-all but lying on the ground was a bit much for a club thing to get some pride back after last season.

At the end of the day the club seems convinced that Rathbone is the way to go.. with Hunt being the obvious fit for “7th man.” Glad we got something instead of just losing him to waivers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I’m ok with this. The return isn’t bad. OJ will forever be a ‘work in progress’. 

Frustrated that he never matured into the player he ought to have been.  

Sometimes it’s better to make a clean break from a relationship that simply doesn’t work. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dead to you or not, if he goes on to thrive in Florida a lot of folks round here will be asking questions as to why. 

Sometimes players need a change of scenery, we shall see. But after seeing Juolevi and Gadjovich move on this preseason, and waiver caliber tweeners play over prospects last season, I'm skeptical regarding the folks in charge.

Hamonic next waiver pick up?

I kind of hope so now so that we’d some available cap to pick up an NHL level RHD by trade. Love Hamonic but this team needs to build together from puck drop this year. Can’t believe we gave so much time in camp dedicated to temporary 4th liners when it should’ve been invested in defining our top 9 (regardless of EP holdout)

• Cheers 1