The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep…  notably worse.

Edler and Schmidt were the steadiest pair we had defensively.  Losing them is going to hurt.

We are going to need to outscore our deficiencies or hope that Demko has a Vezina year.

If I am the coach and there is 5 minutes left to play and we are defending the lead… l look down the bench and have no idea what D pairing to put out there.

That's a great point. 

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep…  notably worse.

Edler and Schmidt were the steadiest pair we had defensively.  Losing them is going to hurt.

We are going to need to outscore our deficiencies or hope that Demko has a Vezina year.

If I am the coach and there is 5 minutes left to play and we are defending the lead… l look down the bench and have no idea what D pairing to put out there.

that's why you're not the coach. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I think people on here and Twitter are taking this Juolevi quote the wrong way.  I read this as him dismissing the question - it’s really irrelevant whether he was (or thinks he was) treated fairly.  

That’s pro sports. 

Probably the same people that took Pettersson’s quote as him not wanting to play in Vancouver.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, tas said:

that's why you're not the coach. 

If he doesn’t have the horses… he doesn’t have the horses.

We have OEL on the left side who is the best bet but certainly no defensive stalwart.  On the right we have pretty much nothing for that situation.  We are pinning our hopes on Poolman who has been a 3rd pairing guy for his short career except for a few games due to injuries pushing him up the lineup.

1 hour ago, davidgoliath said:

Serious questions: what is this “Greens system” you speak of and why couldn’t Jonah fit in it? 

He likes bottom 6 guys that can grind, play high tempo, kill penalties.

Jonah couldn’t do any of those.

I would have liked to see him given a chance in the top 6 over Chiasson but Green clearly wasn’t willing to gamble.

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

My worry with Juulsen is the conclusion history. I hate to say this and absolutely hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’ll be playing much hockey in 3 years time due to how serious his injury has been. Like I said, hope I’m wrong 

ah, I didn't know that was part of it.

1 hour ago, davidgoliath said:

Serious questions: what is this “Greens system” you speak of and why couldn’t Jonah fit in it? 

Gadjovich's skating has been and still is a major concern. I predict that he won't become a NHL regular because of his skating. It's beyond me how Canucks drafted a player like Gadjovich in the second round of the NHL entry draft, with this poor skating abilities.

Nevertheless there are still some Canucks fans who believe Jim Benning has a tremendous draft record.

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Gadjovich's skating has been and still is a major concern. I predict that he won't become a NHL regular because of his skating. It's beyond me how Canucks drafted a player like Gadjovich in the second round of the NHL entry draft, with this poor skating abilities.

Nevertheless there are still some Canucks fans who believe Jim Benning has a tremendous draft record.

He does, and skating can be improved, case in point Horvat. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He does, and skating can be improved, case in point Horvat. 

Exactly.

Skating can be fixed. There’s no guys taken in the second round that don’t have flaws.

Gadjovich has a lot of good attributes and was a good pick.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

If he doesn’t have the horses… he doesn’t have the horses.

We have OEL on the left side who is the best bet but certainly no defensive stalwart.  On the right we have pretty much nothing for that situation.  We are pinning our hopes on Poolman who has been a 3rd pairing guy for his short career except for a few games due to injuries pushing him up the lineup.

yet they've both looked great. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Yes, and Bieksa, Ohlund. Allan. Some great dmen for sure. But many? No. It's been pathetic. You can't possibly be defending the Canucks drafting of Dmen. Been brutal since I been keeping track in the 80's. 

it's been something they have consistently sucked at. Must be the ocean air, pumpkin lattes and bong hits.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

pipe is officially looking grim with the losses of Gadjo, Juolevi and Lind 

Is it though?

No one could or wanted to take Lind on waivers and we had to lose someone to Seattle, oh well. He’s not going to be game breaker. Even if he takes another step or two he’ll be a replaceable level player.

Losing Gadj sucks. I feel that was a loss for our team . Not the kind of player that grows on trees and really wish we could have found a way to keep him. I feel he’s a couple years away from being a guy who will slot in with the top 6 in the playoffs. But when you hear why it makes sense.

He doesn’t have positional flexibility. He’s not a bottom 6 grinder and hasn’t adapted his game to that level. He’s not quite there yet and he’s not good enough to take a top 6 spot on our team. They took a calculated move and dropped him on waivers thinking he’d slide through. And he didn’t sadly. Bummer.

Juolevi. Sure he’s had injuries but this kid honestly pisses me off. I lost hope with him when his year with salo didn’t go that well. And salo was clearly frustrated with his attitude and work ethic. He kind of rekindled my hope with improved play in the ahl. And he looked good in the gp vs Minnesota before the bubble run. 

last year I was very unsure of him and a little disappointed but our whole team was mostly.

this camp was his final straw with our team and he came in and got dusted in camp. So disappointing.. I understand he was outplayed by Rathbone and Hunt and Schenn and he’s done. 

They all had promise and we were patient with them. 

it’s disappointing ofc but it’s not the end of the world. We will be okay! 

• Upvote 1