The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Suzuki and Montreal

-DLC-

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-nick-suzuki-agree-eight-year-63-million-extension/

Sportsnet-Staff-1.pngSportsnet Staff@SportsnetOctober 12, 2021, 9:59 AM
  •  

The Montreal Canadiens and Nick Suzuki have agreed to terms on an eight-year, $63 million contract, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

The deal carries an average annual value of $7.875 million.

Suzuki, 22, is coming off a 41-point campaign in the NHL's shortened 56-game 2020-21 season. During Montreal's run to the Stanley Cup Final, he produced 16 points in 22 games.

The London, Ont., native has developed into a franchise-calibre centreman since joining the Canadiens at the beginning of the 2019-20 NHL season.

A 13th overall Golden Knights draft pick in 2017, Suzuki was Montreal's key acquisition in a trade that sent Max Pacioretty to Vegas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BabychStache said:

Suzuki is a great player, however these takes (Drance) throwing shade at JB are ridiculous.

He is not a comparable to EP. At best he’s a Bo comp. 

That's exactly what I thought, similar offense but not close as far as being two-way player.  

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Nice. This takes him to age 31.  He’s only 22. Just finished his second season scoring at a .73 ppg pace.  He’s not even close to his ceiling yet. 

You're probably right that he will get better but it's not certain. Most players starts to decline well before 30, not saying Suzuki will but speaking in general this is a contract I would not like on our team.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, J-P said:

You're probably right that he will get better but it's not certain. Most players starts to decline well before 30, not saying Suzuki will but speaking in general this is a contract I would not like on our team.

The general consensus in the hockey world seems to be that this is an excellent signing. if he continues to develop like he has it could be one of the best contracts in the league in a few years 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The general consensus in the hockey world seems to be that this is an excellent signing. if he continues to develop like he has it could be one of the best contracts in the league in a few years 

Yes it could but he probably has to develop some more and stay on that level for almost the entire contract for that to be true.

"Consensus" seems to be that this is a better deal than QH/EP, and I just don't agree on that. 

• Wat 1

15 minutes ago, J-P said:

Yes it could but he probably has to develop some more and stay on that level for almost the entire contract for that to be true.

"Consensus" seems to be that this is a better deal than QH/EP, and I just don't agree on that. 

Definitely better than Petey's, you could debate Hughes.

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Suzuki is a great player, however these takes (Drance) throwing shade at JB are ridiculous.

He is not a comparable to EP. At best he’s a Bo comp. 

Yeah, definitely more of a Horvat comparable than Pettersson. So the comparison is $5.5 x 6 vs $7.875 x 8, which seems pretty fair. More UFA years, signed a few years later = more dollars.

Bo's deal is a solid bargain, Suzuki's probably will be too.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1