The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't think it was a big deal...  we couldn't have Podkolzin's line out there against McDavid and since we were playing in Edmonton, they had the last change.  

I thought Podz was pretty good in his limited time, won a few puck battles and did his patented cross ice pass to the point for a shot on net.  

He did make one mistake that led to the too many men penalty.  He didn't get the puck deep enough and the Oilers shot it towards our bench on the change.  At least I think that was Podz but don't quote me on it.  

I'd like to see Podz with Lammikko and a better winger.  Maybe when Motte comes back those three could make a pretty potent line. 

Then again if Boeser and Motte are both back, we could be looking at Motte - Dickinson - Highmore, which would leave Hoglander and Podz flanking Lammikko.  That would be a solid solid 4th line! 

Hoglander will not be playing on the 4th line. Should be 3rd and higher, same with Podkolzin imo.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

7 min is a bit different than 14. 

Who does mctavish have infront of him? oh thats right he is expected to be a top 2 center, a cornerstone for them. Podz is reeaaal far down the list on our team at the moment. Relax bud, Don't always need to look for a negative narrative to push lol

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Everyone gets pissed 3m and under guys dont put up 60 points and look like mcdavid everynight. They are making low money for a reason. Solid but nothing special is what you need to expect. especially league min guys haha

Totally man... I could be wrong but it does seem to me Chiasson has more drive and hustle than Big Mac... 

Very impressed. I like what I saw. This looked like a total playoff match. 

Highlights:

- Petey outplayed McDavid

- Canucks played a good defensive game

- Myers had a good game and destroyed Keith 

- OEL was very good

- Hogs looks like a young Burrows 

- Garland showed promise

- Demko was solid

Concerns:

- Miller looked real bad

- Poolman was terrible

- Hughes looked hesitant at points

- Pods is playing way too safe and not driving the play 

- the PP was needs some more work

It was a hard earned point. They will get even better once they gel more with each other. 

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't think it was a big deal...  we couldn't have Podkolzin's line out there against McDavid and since we were playing in Edmonton, they had the last change.  

I thought Podz was pretty good in his limited time, won a few puck battles and did his patented cross ice pass to the point for a shot on net.  

He did make one mistake that led to the too many men penalty.  He didn't get the puck deep enough and the Oilers shot it towards our bench on the change.  At least I think that was Podz but don't quote me on it.  

I'd like to see Podz with Lammikko and a better winger.  Maybe when Motte comes back those three could make a pretty potent line. 

Then again if Boeser and Motte are both back, we could be looking at Motte - Dickinson - Highmore, which would leave Hoglander and Podz flanking Lammikko.  That would be a solid solid 4th line! 

Yes. - Green confirms that in his post game presser

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

These next 4-5 games of our road trip look very winnable.  Philly (who knows how good they'll be), Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago, and Seattle.  I'm hoping we can go 4-1 in those games, at least 3-2 and come home with a winning record which would be good to start the year.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Well I rather just put Boeser on that 1st PP unit.

Yeah if he's back next game for sure.

I think OEL would be good on it though if we decided to drop one of Horvat/Miller. He's a pretty smooth playmaker and can get shots through.

IMO he could take Miller's spot on the left side and do it better. If OEL decides to walk the line from the left side have Boeser creep up from behind the line(as bumper play passer) to near the top of the left circle for a one-timer. Petey goes to the net for a rebound and you already have Miller/Horvat in front causing havoc. Hughes on his one-timer side for shot option and Hughes may be slippery enough to fake the shot and pass it cross ice to Boeser for a one-timer. 

OEL definitely gives us options and we could always try 4F set on PP#2 with Rathbone too.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The earn some trust excuse is just as weak as it being his first nhl game, etc.

If Green doesn’t trust him why is he on the roster?

Playing his first game means he has proven nothing yet in the NHL.  I think he's going to be great for us, but i think every rookie gets eased in somewhat until the coach sees them in real NHL action.

• Cheers 1

Chiasson is a good PP net front guy which why he’s out there so i like him there for now 

dowling is only on the PP for face off once boeser is back they’ll reshuffle everything 

Miller on the downhill play on the PP has run it’s course through out the league if you ask me. Everyone knows what’s coming and with 3 lefties the PK’ers can dictate traffic to Peteys side as Miller isn’t a threat to shoot 

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

I’d love to see them put both OEL and Hughes on PP1.   I think defenders will back off a bit from OEL coz his shot isn’t a muffin.

The dilemma is who to put on PP2 point.  I guess they could be like the coilers and leave the first unit out as long as possible. 

I think its best to balance the 2 PP units since we do have enough offensive weapons to have 2 good units. Splitting Hughes and OEL would make both of the PP units dangerous. In fact I would put Miller on 2nd PP once Boeser is back assuming they will have Chiasson on 1st unit PP.

Garland-Miller-Hoglander

Pearson-OEL 

as 2nd PP unit. Can also switch up Pearson with Rathbone a couple of times too for a different look.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Who does mctavish have infront of him? oh thats right he is expected to be a top 2 center, a cornerstone for them. Podz is reeaaal far down the list on our team at the moment. Relax bud, Don't always need to look for a negative narrative to push lol

Sorry but anyone who watched the preseason and puts Podz lower than Dowling for a PP or lower than guys like Highmore at 5 on 5 just wasn’t paying attention. He earned a shot and if he is going to get 7 min send him to Abby to play big minutes. 

Just now, grandmaster said:

Very impressed. I like what I saw. This looked like a total playoff match. 

Highlights:

- Petey outplayed McDavid

- Canucks played a good defensive game

- Myers had a good game and destroyed Keith 

- OEL was very good

- Hogs looks like a young Burrows 

- Garland showed promise

- Demko was solid

Concerns:

- Miller looked real bad

- Poolman was terrible

- Hughes looked hesitant at points

- Pods is playing way too safe and not driving the play 

- the PP was needs some more work

It was a hard earned point. They will get even better once they gel more with each other. 

Poolman sure the hell was not terrible. He played a very solid game.

• Cheers 4

The very good

Demko - money

OEL (like Tanev and Edler in one player)

Highmore - he was very noticeable tonight

The good

Myers - an impact player, beyond the hit

Poolman - very quiet, but effective game

Hogz - that line was a buzzsaw

Dickenson - exactly as advertised

Hughes - good game, but d was soft

Petey - rusty.  Good on draws, great hands

Horvat - just consistently good

Garland - showed what we wanted to see

Pearson - consistent

Chiasson - smart around the net