The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alot to love/learn from the Blue Jays.

Rate this topic

Shirotashi

How do you not love the vibe that the team has been able to generate? How do you not look at 

something like that and NOT want that for the Canucks. It doesn't just come from one guy its 

everybody look at that dugout whenever the team or individuals do well how do we learn from 

that? Look at this interview with Ross Atkins and when I hear him talking about the positivity 

with the jays, especially after they missed the playoffs and I see that as a high benchmark 

for this team, that positive gelled atmosphere. 

I especially like his talk of having a balanced approach to building the team, and how you need guys that do different things, not just a team of power hitters. I wonder if our own GM has this much wisdom and I really think he does.

Edited by Shirotashi

7 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

How do you not love the vibe that the team has been able to generate? How do you not look at 

something like that and NOT want that for the Canucks. It doesn't just come from one guy its 

everybody look at that dugout whenever the team or individuals do well how do we learn from 

that? Look at this interview with Ross Atkins and when I hear him talking about the positivity 

with the jays, especially after they missed the playoffs and I see that as a high benchmark 

I especially like his talk of having a balanced approach to building the team, and how you need guys that do different things, not just a team of power hitters. I wonder if our own GM has this much wisdom and I really think he does.

how is this any different from benning's (or for that matter, any GMs') press conferences? sounds the same to me

7 hours ago, tas said:

toronto sucks. baseball suuuucks. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

This ^ and A LOT is two friggin’ words!  Why do Toronto people spell worse than old Alf?  

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like hockey, Canucks hockey actually

TOR constantly trying to pump up their teams. No thanks.

As long as you talking Toronto and AL baseball, we're okay.

Now, SF Giants ball does have a lot to offer about re-building a team. The crap they had to go through since 2014 has been a story of epic proportions. Louie Ericksson? Phhhhfffffffp. Nothing. The Giants had a number of pitchers who sustained injuries/physical ailments which kept them from playing more than a few innings. There were Cy Young winners (Cain, Lincecum, Peavy) with big contracts which couldn't be dumped, so they had to be kept over the remaining years of their deals. They had guys who they should have dumped, but it was more cost effective to have them on the active roster. 

regards,  G.

On a side note - GO BOSTON!... and Atlanta, when your turn is up.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:57 PM, Shirotashi said:

So you want the Canucks to look to a Toronto sports team for inspiration?  :huh:

Secondly, you are implying that the Canucks will miss out on the playoffs, and how you will admire JB if he comes out like this after that happens to give a good rah rah speech about how they are still positive about the next season? :blink:

I mean, any team can look at what teams in other sports are doing for inspiration, but I'd rather see us take inspiration from perpetually successful teams rather than take inspiration from 1 press conference.

Anyone can do a press conference and say the right things. DOING the right things however is another matter and I don't see how the Blue Jays are any better than other teams. If the Blue Jays were a dynasty of a team then sure, the OP's post might have some merit then, but they aren't.

Edited by The Lock

blue jays are great story...

in terms of player moves, what tangible could you learn from it?

I'd have to look into background of acquiring their 9-10 best players... seiman (sp?) acquisition was great........

I assume VG was part of international player pool where there is US$5MM total to sign teenage players. surprised Bos/NYY/LAD/etc. didn't scoop him up, BUT they could not out-bid other teams. wonder if VG Sr's Montreal experience helped the Blue Jays in signing VG Jr.

robbie ray and bichette are the other obvious massive contributors