The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16th, 2021 | SNP, 4:00PM PT

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

Goalie is the only position I am scared of them.  They've got Nedelkjkovic who had a damn good year in Carolina last year.  Look at his stats.  A sub 2 GAA and a .932 save percentage in 23 games.  Griess is a damn good backup to have and we're probably lucky we don't have to face Alex this game.

Nedeljkovic is a great goalie but if you look at both of Carolina's goalies stats from the last season or two they are pretty damn close, speaks to how much of a solid team defensive structure they have. I think his game will suffer somewhat behind a d core that doesn't feature Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce etc.

Greiss gets the start tonight anyways so it's a moot point.

Screenshot_20211016-103145_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

>Vegas suffered some injuries during Thursday’s loss to LA. Hearing Max Pacioretty out approximately 6 weeks, while Golden Knights await further clarity on Mark Stone. Tough early-season blow.</p>&mdash; Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) <a href="https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC>October 16, 

Here’s great news for the Pacific Division!

Loved Stone on Ottawa...in LV I find him to be a massive douche bag. So this put a smile on my face. 

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Do people really wake up, And think they know whats best for a player who they only see over the course of a game? 
Vs the franchise that has 3.5 billion dollars of resources, Physically with the kid every single day, And has access to film and opinions from countless amounts of people who have been around hockey for 30+ years?

Well call me crazy but i think ill side with the team decisions on this one:rolleyes:

Yup, there are a lot of folks here that think a computer and a CDC account make them more knowledgeable than guys who have been in the NHL for 30 years. Sounds realistic right?

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

For the most part, the Canucks are getting out of their own zone much easier this season. Fewer fire drills in their own end, by far. One thing I've noticed, and it's only parts of two games, OEL and Garland, are playing with some passion this season. The look on OEL's face when VP scored his first career goal was priceless. Plus, as a team over thirty shots on goal per game is a good thing, right?

Absolutely noticed this as well. So many plays last year plays were slightly broken up in our end and we passed it further back, often behind our own net in desperate, vain attempts to regain possession. This year it's one pass to the other defender and then out. I'm sure this years group of quick, tenacious forwards have a lot to do with that as do Rathbone, Burroughs, OEL, and Poolman. KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid.

So refreshing, thank gawd we moved on from Edler. He was atrocious last year even though he bled blue and green as a Canuck.

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, there are a lot of folks here that think a computer and a CDC account make them more knowledgeable than guys who have been in the NHL for 30 years. Sounds realistic right?

Sounds like a great place to share individual opinions without judgement 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think Philly is "rebuilding on the fly". No pun intended. They are trying to get younger, faster, and better, but not gut the team. 

No they are 100% not in any type of re-build. They made a lot of moves similar to us after a very disappointing season.

They got older and rebuilt their D while switching one vet for another up front.

The feeling with the fans is AV and Fletch play favs (sound familiar?) While a guy like Frost toils in the AHL. If they aren't in a good spot by Thanksgiving, expect heads to role.

Being a fan of both teams makes me really appreciate TG and Benning, and how deep our goaltending is. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

This Coyotes/Sabres game could singlehandedly turn back the game of hockey a decade. Woof. Canucks should be able to put the boots to the Sabres as long as we show up for the game.

And in a shocking development, Loui is still slow and awful.

It is shocking Arizona gave up OEL and Garland for that plug and other plugs lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Absolutely noticed this as well. So many plays last year plays were slightly broken up in our end and we passed it further back, often behind our own net in desperate, vain attempts to regain possession. This year it's one pass to the other defender and then out. I'm sure this years group of quick, tenacious forwards have a lot to do with that as do Rathbone, Burroughs, OEL, and Poolman. KISS principle. Keep it simple stupid.

So refreshing, thank gawd we moved on from Edler. He was atrocious last year even though he bled blue and green as a Canuck.

Edler, bless his heart, was a warrior here. But I'm so glad he's gone. Its amazing when you add up all the underperforming and aging players influence that are not here anymore, and what that does to the team.  Not any one was solely responsible, but a little off the top from each of them really slowed the team down last year, so it adds up to a huge increase in speed over all.

Edler

Player Name

Beagle

Rousell

add to that for now,

Sutter

and the part time player,

Virtanen

I think a couple of those players were like cancers in the locker room.  Jake and Loui.  Because they seemingly did not care enough to work more than a bare minimum required. I always thought it couldn't be great to have LE as Petey's older Swedish veteran forward to look up to and emulate. A more disinterested player I have not seen.

So I'm happy they are all off the team. (other than Sutter who is fine on the salary he is getting).

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

No they are 100% not in any type of re-build. They made a lot of moves similar to us after a very disappointing season.

They got older and rebuilt their D while switching one vet for another up front.

The feeling with the fans is AV and Fletch play favs (sound familiar?) While a guy like Frost toils in the AHL. If they aren't in a good spot by Thanksgiving, expect heads to role.

Being a fan of both teams makes me really appreciate TG and Benning, and how deep our goaltending is. 

Yah Philly is the one team like Vancouver who is impossible to predict.  Both had disappointing years and have really good teams on paper, however Philly's problem last year was goaltending.  They were actually a very good team possession wise they just could not buy a save.  I'd say going completely even in possession with Philly is really good to see for our team like we did last night.  We had a 4.0 to 3.33 xGF in our favour last night including power plays which I find quite impressive for our team.

The one thing I hope to see this game is the Canucks to dominate possession.  If they do, it might show that we have become a much better team than last year.  We never seem to dominate possession ever since analytics really became popular, but this year I'm projecting we could be very good in possession numbers and dominating a team like Detroit in all metrics will show that we could be stepping in that direction.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Sounds like a great place to share individual opinions without judgement 

You would think so but in reality 70% are proclamations of self import and superior knowledge accompanied with sweeping anger. At best I would guess 50% opinion 50% raging delusions ... but here I am. Usually the good outweighs the bad but sometimes it's just too annoying.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

All that cap space and they can't invest in a good goalie? 

Aha, saw you're response afterwards.

I'm going to UnLoui you. Now you can sleep soundly tonight. :lol:

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Goalie is the only position I am scared of them.  They've got Nedelkjkovic who had a damn good year in Carolina last year.  Look at his stats.  A sub 2 GAA and a .932 save percentage in 23 games.  Griess is a damn good backup to have and we're probably lucky we don't have to face Alex this game.

Yeah,  agree here with Rindiculous. Pretty good set of goalies. Greiss is pretty damn good, especially for a backup.

Edited by Gawdzukes