The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks PP is not effectiveness, any suggention?

Rate this topic

Rabbit

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, Hughes, Boeser and Petey should cricle around as orcas, confusing their prey

well, I was thinking Hughes is dangerous to pass and shoot and they'd have to work hard to cover him, opening up a shot for OEL but sure why not Orcas?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If you go back and watch Hughes run a powerplay for Michigan he was all over the offensive zone. That’s what his skating ability allows him to do.

I would love to see him rove more in the offensive zone. Take it behind the net and go for a lap. Gets their pkers moving and opens up more options. 

I think his skills are being wasted as a point man. OEL can handle that role. Hughes is basically like an extra forward anyways, so it doesn’t matter if you have two D.

First unit should be:

Boeser   Horvat  Pettersson

Hughes  OEL

Second unit:

Garland Miller Podkolzin 

Myers Hoglander

I definitely agree our PP needs some change, but PP2 (i think) should have two D.  Often that PP finishes their shift with some 5 on 5 time.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I definitely agree our PP needs some change, but PP2 (i think) should have two D.  Often that PP finishes their shift with some 5 on 5 time.

Put Poolman there then.

That’s not unlike having Tanev on the powerplay. He can cover for Myers when he inevitably gets caught behind the oppositions net.

He really would just have to tee a shot up for Myers though.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If you go back and watch Hughes run a powerplay for Michigan he was all over the offensive zone. That’s what his skating ability allows him to do.

I would love to see him rove more in the offensive zone. Take it behind the net and go for a lap. Gets their pkers moving and opens up more options. 

I think his skills are being wasted as a point man. OEL can handle that role. Hughes is basically like an extra forward anyways, so it doesn’t matter if you have two D.

First unit should be:

Boeser   Horvat  Pettersson

Hughes  OEL

yup this is what I'd like to see. And put Petey on a shoot first order. Let Bo get the rebound. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

Would like to mix the two PP lines:

JT and Garland  -  seems good chemistry

Podz and Boeser  - fast and good shots

OEL

Bo and Pearson - long chemistry in 5v5

Hogz -  fast

Petey  - shooter

Hughes

Use the above two PP lines 50/50

Move quickly, don't stand in the same place for 2 minutes

I think Sedins would help to give some advises.

Suggestion, Fire Baumer, move Shaw to D coach, bring in special teams coach

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup this is what I'd like to see. And put Petey on a shoot first order. Let Bo get the rebound. 

Even having Boeser and Pettersson switch sides would keep the opposition guessing.

Petterssons one timer just isn’t there right now. Having him stand stationary in that spot all powerplay is a waste of his other talents.

He needs to move to get to open shooting lanes and use his wrister. 

Boeser can shoot from anywhere.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

I dunno tell the player to move around or rotate around? I mean physically rotate the players not pass the puck rotate. We are a stationary 1 3 1 that have 0 movement. Once they get the puck they standstill there looking to pass.. go watch the replays.. how often is it EP to Hughes to EP to hughes to EP to hughes or replace EP with Miller and its the same back and forth between them and the D man OEL or Hughes.. until they get close off and lose the puck? The other team don't even have to move since it's just back and forth passing between 2 person.. look at other teams pp.. the ppl actually move and they make our pk run around like a headless chicken..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Get a right handed shot on the left side, it feels like a no brainer.

I'd say put Garland in that spot, then put Brock down low (Since Brock can score on power moves cutting in from beside the net). You'd have Boeser or Horvat at the netfront depending where the puck is:

Brock

Garland - Horvat - Petey

Hughes

It would also give the 2nd unit an offensive player who can take faceoffs (Miller). 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

OR even much better, twirl their fork on a spoon while eating a gigantic amount of pasta that has a skate in it.   That scores more goals then Orcas.   True stuff.   Tiger Man Heart told me so in a dream  

I’m awaiting your answer to DeNiro to see if you’re as creative then. B)

• Haha 1

Last game the 2nd unit on less time looked good. So what do they do you think? Start the 2nd unit? No they pull OEL off of it and throw him and Chaisson out there again on the 1st unit. Chaisson one notable moment was blocking the empty portion of the net and negating an easy goal....

The coaches then proceed to keep rolling the 1st while going 0-5 in a single &^@#ing period. 

The solutions are:

1) Start the 2nd unit when they're looking better than the 1st.

2) Fire the clearly incompetent fool who made the calls last night on PP ice time and line ups. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’m awaiting your answer to DeNiro to see if you’re as creative then. B)

Well.   All i will say is this.   I'm not an NHL coach.   I'm not a hockey coach either.   I'm a fan.   Maybe i could have been one, but i'm not.   And despite all the rip rap and noise on this site, i'm pretty sure 99.9% aren't at the same level either.    So maybe i'm just naive and stupid to think i can't join all the other armchair coaches out there.   But i'm pretty sure Smithers Joe and I and some other actually get it.   And would be happy to ching ching beers watching a game with most of you at the same time.   Does that help? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit said:

Would like to mix the two PP lines:

JT and Garland  -  seems good chemistry

Podz and Boeser  - fast and good shots

OEL

Bo and Pearson - long chemistry in 5v5

Hogz -  fast

Petey  - shooter

Hughes

Use the above two PP lines 50/50

Move quickly, don't stand in the same place for 2 minutes

I think Sedins would help to give some advises.

I would argue that your grammar is not effectiveness.  :-p

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well.   All i will say is this.   I'm not an NHL coach.   I'm not a hockey coach either.   I'm a fan.   Maybe i could have been one, but i'm not.   And despite all the rip rap and noise on this site, i'm pretty sure 99.9% aren't at the same level either.    So maybe i'm just naive and stupid to think i can't join all the other armchair coaches out there.   But i'm pretty sure Smithers Joe and I and some other actually get it.   And would be happy to ching ching beers watching a game with most of you at the same time.   Does that help? 

It shouldn't take an NHL coach to see things aren't working and make changes that aren't 'hey lets &^@# up the one PP unit that got chances and then roll the 1st unit while going 0-5 in a single period.' 

That was so indicative of what is wrong on that bench. 

Edited by Gnarcore

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My suggestion would be to use the flexibility a 1-3-1 base provides, to being more movement to the formation, both in the form of rotations and switches, and more individual roaming within defined positional zones.

Playing 1-3-1 doesn’t have to mean your players maintain a perfect “+” shape for the entire time you’re set up in-zone.

But too often, this is what we see.

And too often, it’s our five man unit that seems to be reacting, and letting a four man PK unit dictate play, when it should be the opposite way around. 

More movement, and shifting formation, forces the PK to adjust, distort their structure, and lose coverage.

Our power play could (and should) be a lot less predictable than it currently is. There’s no shortage of talent and creativity, when it comes to the personnel.

I’m just not sure if it’s a coaching or execution issue, but they’re not taking full advantage of what’s out there (and it is called the “man advantage” for a reason).

(It really is a shame, given just how much of an opportunity we’ve been given to start the season. The Canucks have been getting 6:47 PPTOI/GP, the most power play time in the entire league. And we’re 4th best in net penalties (drawn vs taken). This was a time to make hay, because these are the Vancouver Canucks we’re talking about, and I doubt the zebras will be this kind to us again for a very long time.)

Top power play in the NHL right now doesn't have a set system, the let the players play and be creative. Our system seems to be get it to the point and maybe shoot every second powerplay. The few goals we have got seem to be from more of a creative style that a system style. 

I think constant movement is the key here. The players like to pass he puck around, but the players themselves remain pretty stationary when we have the advantage. Being able to cycle the puck can create holes. The Sedins were great at finding holes.

Also, every player on the ice should be able and willing to shoot from whatever position they may be in at the time. Don't get glued to one position on the ice. 

And get Podz on the PP ffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

It shouldn't take an NHL coach to see things aren't working and make changes that aren't 'hey lets &^@# up the one PP unit that got chances and then roll the 1st unit while going 0-5 in a single period.' 

That was so indicative of what is wrong on that bench. 

Yes i've read how we all are better at this then the coaches and the players lots.  When Brown had our team humming at 24.2% a few short years ago, i couldn't believe the sort of stuff that was being posted - it hasn't changed much either.   Like we should be getting 50% or something lol.  If the  NYI set the bar at just over 30%, with one of the best goal scorers all-time ... what the heck?    Not saying we don't need to change things, been saying use the second unit now since Myers got here.   But also get that it's sucked this year too.    Maybe we should wait a little longer before despairing too much as well.   .20% used to be decent BTW.   25% unreal.