The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

If you haven't watched the post game interview, listen to JT Miller. 

He commented numerous times how Brock did an excellent job on the first 2 goals in the screen. 

He said things like, "the goal doesn't happen without Brock" or "if Brock didn't take the goalies eyes, it would be a routine save" etc. How about another Brock endorsement? "all I saw was Brock when I shot, which is a good thing and he got out of the way" 

He said all of this in a 5 minute post game interview. 

To me this screams, "we need Brock on PP1, not Alex freaking Chiasson. 

For ppl like @stawns who keeps vouching for Chiasson, do you now agree that he might not be needed? 

Even our 4th line looked way better with Dowling. 

The team is starting to get it. Petey commented numerous times that switching positions created more space and allowed intuition and creativity to take over. 

Do you see Chiasson being a part of that process? 

Petey scored from Hughes' spot. 

Miller scored from Petey's. 

This team needs movement with smart players rotating in to create screens. 

Having one guy (Chiasson) stand in front of the net stationary for 2 minutes does not work. 

I was happy one reporter asked Petey why it took so long to create movement and switches. (I mean CDC has been begging for it since the beginning of the season) 

Petey answered stationary passing worked well for the past few seasons but it seems that other teams have figured it out now so they need to create new ways.

This to me further shows our staff is a little late to the party. Our natural talents are good but we can be better with better coaching. 

One thing is certain, we surely have enough talent that Chiasson surely isn't "needed", as you put it. However, the guys that needed to finally got their heads out of their asses. As per your bolded part above Petterson acknowledged that as well. Hopefully Chiasson doesn't play much of a role moving forward with a healthy Motte returning. I personally like Dowling far more than Chiasson, who is lower down and more on par with Bailey imo. If Sutter comes back one of those two are on waivers.

Edit: I was going to say unfortunately it looks like he's taking 4th line rushes.

Edited by Gawdzukes

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Obviously happy about the win, but I really hope the Canucks defensive play and PK starts to make some improvements; otherwise, Green's going to be forced to run Demko into the ground and start him every game. 

The offence seems to be making progress, but let's be honest, Demko keeps the Canucks in games. 

Yep. Once PK is fixed, we will be good to go.

The game could have been 6-1 had it not been for 2 PK goals.

The previous games where we lost by 1 goal, it came down to giving up 1-2 goals in PK and not scoring on our own PP.

PP is relatively easy to fix because we already have the personnel to ice an elite powerplay. And it was just a matter of the players figuring it out and switching positions and moving instead of staying still.

But I think fixing PK is going to take bit more time. Funny thing is that any casual fan could see this being a problem since the preseason.

PK is mostly about structure although having the right personnel makes it easy to implement the structure. We don't quite have the personnel and we don't have the right structure.

For example, when OEL was called for those ridiculous penalties, we have no LD. Even up front, the PKers are Miller, Dickinson, Pearson, Bailey. Not exactly an elite PK group. We are missing Motte and Sutter so when they get back the personnel issue gets a little better but not having one more LD needs to be addressed via trade.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Someone posted earlier citing an interview with Petey to that effect.  They know.

Yep, I saw it.  Just hoping it's not a one-hit wonder.  Petey's not one to go the lip service route, so I'm feeling good about it.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

But a lot of people defending the coaches were claiming that there was no way the players were being told to stand still and it was an execution issue.  This appears to prove otherwise.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I honestly think staff was determined to make 2 plays work. 

1) Chiasson net front screen and perimeter shooting 

2)the bumper pass to Horvat.

The pp literally consisted of only those 2 options. 

What a waste of camp and 10 games lol.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it's a combination of bad coaching and players not executing. It's never just one thing. 

It's funny Chiasson was the only player that was supposed to stay in one spot, except everybody else did too. :lol: I agree it's a combo of things, they definitely seemed to be limited in play selection like forcing the bumper Bo shot, and the net front thing. The players were definitely not executing properly as well though. There is no way they told Petterson to play pass with Hughes for a minute and then rifle it back to Demko for a regroup.

I think the key for this whole thing is Petterson. He has to find ways to get different looks and keep teams guessing, like yesterday. Coaching should be part of that but ultimately Petterson should take that into his own hands as well. I would think it's a pretty delicate line between telling a player exactly how to operate on the pp vs letting them discover what works best with their skillset.

Well one win certainly lifts the spirits, but it means nothing if they come and stink up the joint on their next game against the Ducks, and them Ducks are no push overs.

the PK sucks bags and needs major surgery, PP inconsistent....they went 3/4 after going 1-14....so stop it with the Jekkyl and Hyde routine...they need to be way more consistent for a full 60..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Imagine if Motte could start playing centre again and centre that third line. That could be magic.

OMG! I would love to see that line in action...it would be like 3 Killer Hornets attacking the puck all over the ice...

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Completely agree. Loosing those 2 players definitely soured me on Benning a little. I still think our D is better with Juolevi on it then hunt/ New Bur on his offside, and I didn't think Rathbone was ready even in the preseason.

felt the same way regarding Rathbone... was really concerned about who was going to do the defending and hard minutes... its all very well to have offensive flair players on the backend, but you need to have players able to defend as well... It was obvious from the first game of the season, we weren't strong enough defensively, and only question was really why it took so long for Green to send Rathbone back down... but guess it was not easy after choosing him over OJ. 

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's funny Chiasson was the only player that was supposed to stay in one spot, except everybody else did too. :lol: I agree it's a combo of things, they definitely seemed to be limited in play selection like forcing the bumper Bo shot, and the net front thing. The players were definitely not executing properly as well though. There is no way they told Petterson to play pass with Hughes for a minute and then rifle it back to Demko for a regroup.

I think the key for this whole thing is Petterson. He has to find ways to get different looks and keep teams guessing, like yesterday. Coaching should be part of that but ultimately Petterson should take that into his own hands as well. I would think it's a pretty delicate line between telling a player exactly how to operate on the pp vs letting them discover what works best with their skillset.

With creative guys like Petey, Hughes, Garland, Hoglander, I'm a firm believer in giving them a really long leash.  The frustration shown at the end of the Nashville game towards King suggests to me that the pp may have been overcoached.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Petey is told what to do and it’s not how you develop a creative player. 
Green has told how good Petey listens to him…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Same but given Baileys ice time after he didn’t take his man on that one goal. Chiasson could be back in. We need Motter and both can peace out 

Yep. I think that will be Baily's key to being an NHLer. Consistency. He has played well and showed some nice wheels, etc., but he made a mistake on that goal yesterday and didn't do much else. Unfortunately that can take a fourth liner right out of the line-up.

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Horvat - 1g, 2a

Hughes- 0g, 3a

Pettersson - 1g, 2a

Boeser - 1g, 1a

Miller - 2g, 0a

Podkolzin - 1g, 0a

OEL - 0G, 1A

Garland - 0g, 1a

Pearson - 0g, 1a

This team was much better because our best players were all contributing ... FINALLY. 

We're putting it together. 

Horvat had a great game last night. He's so under-rated.

• Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not really sure, but probably had to do with having Pettersson, Horvat, Sutter, and Beagle already good to go. At the time, we had more room on the wings than centre.

His career faceoff percentage is pretty poor at 34.1%. With the Canucks it's been 35.0% with exactly 100 faceoffs taken over three years.

Man, we need a Malhotra type coach to work the guys with their face offs. I think the team's face offs in general has been poor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Man, we need a Malhotra type coach to work the guys with their face offs. I think the team's face offs in general has been poor. 

Miller was killing it last night.

He was something like 8 for 9 going into the third last night.

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

That Duchene trade has got to be the worst, most crippling trade of all time for any franchise in any sport.  From a goal away from the SCF, to the punchline of jokes in one season.

Yeah, Sakic should be in jail for that trade cause that 1st round pick turned out to Byram.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Dickinson and Pettersson are dragging down the rest. Lammikko is back up to what is more normal for him at 46.0%. Miller has also regained his usual form and is up to 53.9% now. Horvat is improving and up to 56.0%. It's largely just Dickinson and Petey that are way too low at 37.0% and 29.0%, respectively.

31 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

With creative guys like Petey, Hughes, Garland, Hoglander, I'm a firm believer in giving them a really long leash.  The frustration shown at the end of the Nashville game towards King suggests to me that the pp may have been overcoached.

I don’t mean any offense to Jason King or anything like that, but if I’m an offensive dynamo type player I want to be inspired by a coach, especially a PP coach, who has shown that they excelled in the NHL in what they are attempting to teach me, not just made it to the pros and took on a low level utility role. 

Again, no offense to King, but his resume doesn’t exactly inspire or equate to “expertise”.  59 GP total. I also realize not all coaches are former NHL darlings, but when I think of King, imho, I think more of him as a team’s video analyst than an NHL assistant coach.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 4