The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

4 hours ago, Kurgom said:

Ownership is a lot worse off money wise than most people realize, and nothing will happen until they recover financially from the pandemic. Green is a budget coach that will never coach in the NHL again, Benning is a budget GM, they would have been gone by now if the pandemic didn't happen.

Then trade away a high priced talent and hire a good coach and GM with the money.

This argument doesn’t hold any water, Benning is doing nothing but costing money by signing guys to bad contracts which he has to buy out or aren’t playing for us… or he has to use assets like 1st round picks which turn into cheap ELC players 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilini will release a statement tomorrow saying he fully supports his GM and coach.

Translation: I took a hit in the real estate market and can’t afford to hire new employees.

Maybe he should look to sell the team if money is a problem? Our even just half. Are there any co-owners of NHL teams?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilini will release a statement tomorrow saying he fully supports his GM and coach.

Translation: I took a hit in the real estate market and can’t afford to hire new employees.

Where did you hear this?

People can say fire the coach / gm all they want...and i'm not saying i disagree at this point, but there is way too much blame on them and no where near enough blame on the players! Especially some of the highest paid ones. There is no excuse for how this team has played. Is there room for improvement on parts of the team, sure, but this team is drastically better than they've showed!! 

I've stayed away from here for good reason and will prob do so again until there's change(s) / the s*** storm settles. Gong show! 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, IRR said:

People can say fire the coach / gm all they want...and i'm not saying i disagree at this point, but there is way too much blame on them and no where near enough blame on the players! Especially some of the highest paid ones. There is no excuse for how this team has played. Is there room for improvement on parts of the team, sure, but this team is drastically better than they've showed!! 

I've stayed away from here for good reason and will prob do so again until there's change(s) / the s*** storm settles. Gong show! 

spacer.png

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Provost said:

Then trade away a high priced talent and hire a good coach and GM with the money.

This argument doesn’t hold any water, Benning is doing nothing but costing money by signing guys to bad contracts which he has to buy out or aren’t playing for us… or he has to use assets like 1st round picks which turn into cheap ELC players 

I'm going to trust the financial conglomerate on being able to do what's "best" for them.

They won't care about fan happiness but the economic health of their company and team is their number one goal. 

Management won't spend on this lost season no matter the damage it will do, that's how they've always operated around these kinds of situations. 

After three disastrous road games and based on this season overall, it's become very painfully obvious...the entire Canucks brand is broken. There has been absolutely NO leadership and accountability at all levels. Young star players like Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser have regressed. The trading of young prospects like Jared McCann, Gustav Forsling and Jonathan Dahlen, who are all enjoying NHL success right now, and 2nd round picks with the lack of quality coming to Vancouver in return is biting this franchise in the arse BIG TIME. Not to mention the drafting of Jake Virtanen 6th overall which likely impacted GM Jim Benning's decision to draft Olli Juolevi over Matt Tkachuk. Chairman Francesco Aquilini needs to be relegated by the Aquilini family by being placed in the background while new Canucks Sports & Entertainment CEO Michael Doyle needs to be THE boss and hire a qualified GM replacement. Leadership and accountability are badly needed. Benning AND John Weisbrod must go. Weisbrod is NOT a hockey person. Just a former NBA executive who's a "Yes Man". His hiring came at the expense of former assistant GM Laurence Gilman who is very highly respected and understands the salary cap thoroughly. The loss of former director of scouting Judd Brackett will most likely prove costly. All because he wasn't a Benning "Yes Man".

Unless these crucial changes are made, nothing will improve. Very sorry for the pessimism but a spade needs to be called a "spade". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, IRR said:

It's the GM that assembled this team, there is obviously some blame on the players but do you really want Jim Benning at the helm again making trades to "improve" this team?  NO.  You fire Jim Benning and clean house.  Let a new GM come in here that will bring his own coach as well as time to assess this team for the year.  Once the new GM has analyzed this team, then he can make some moves that he thinks is necessary.  Enough of this mediocracy.  Enough. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Sanford said:

It's the GM that assembled this team, there is obviously some blame on the players but do you really want Jim Benning at the helm again making trades to "improve" this team?  NO.  You fire Jim Benning and clean house.  Let a new GM come in here that will bring his own coach as well as time to assess this team for the year.  Once the new GM has analyzed this team, then he can make some moves that he thinks is necessary.  Enough of this mediocracy.  Enough. 

I don't disagree. Just too much blame on one side when it should be across the board. Yes he assemble this team, but there is NO way this roster is anywhere near this bad! 

• Thanks 1