The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Disagree on Horvat.  You’re spot on regarding Petey and Boeser.  No idea what’s going on with them but I think it begs the question:  How is Petey and Brock falling completely off the map Jim Benning’s fault?

Jason Dickinson was a major piece of Dallas’ PK last year and had very good advanced analytics in a number of defensive categories.  How is it Benning’s fault that he went ahead and brought in this piece (for a 3rd rounder), only for said player to not come close to delivering on expectations?

Why can’t OEL produce offense this season?  Why has Nate Schmidt returned to form on another team

To me, this all points to a flaw in coaching and systems as opposed to bad moves that Benning has made.

On paper, Demko, Hamonic, and Garland aren’t supposed to be very big drop offs to Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli.  On,y difference being that the former are either much younger and/or signed to more favorable terms.

Benning has done absolutely nothing wrong but it would seem that everyone else around him has let him down be it coaching, players, etc.  Benning’s biggest mistake, from what I see, is that he was too loyal to Travis Green.  Green is a diaper that needed changing sometime last season or after the 2020 bubble playoffs.

Bo is at least noticable I'll give you that but the results are just not there.

JB's move on paper, cap consequence not withstanding, are good. But if the result is not there than it is not there. He deserves to be fired for retaining Green and his goons on the bench if nothing else.

Edited by 24K PureCool

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Maybe, but the Chinese Canadian guy in the first row didn’t have his sign confiscated.  He was sitting 10 rows from me.  Also, there weren’t that many “fire Benning” chants in the crowd.  Guys like Thomas Drance were trying to indirectly imply that the whole arena was screaming this chant but this was not even close to being the case.  Few isolated chants.

Should chant "Sell the Team!" if we want actual change. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Maybe, but the Chinese Canadian guy in the first row didn’t have his sign confiscated.  He was sitting 10 rows from me.  Also, there weren’t that many “fire Benning” chants in the crowd.  Guys like Thomas Drance were trying to indirectly imply that the whole arena was screaming this chant but this was not even close to being the case.  Few isolated chants.

ok. 

Was He’s the one with the thank you Benning 

security thought he was a pro Benning he was not. I just read the story sounds like Nucks media has tried to remove him from any highlights. 

i was just curious like I said some people on Twitter said they had blatant fire Benning signs confiscated. 

27 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Really.

Petey isn't even a fourth line nhl player with his current play.

Boeser and Bo are just floating out there doing nothing.

Hughes is the only ok core piece not named Demko. 

Face it, no gm is gonna pay us more than a 2nd rounder for these guys and we have to take salary back too.

We are screwed for the next decade.

We all watched the same game... it wasn't lack of trying... a bigger issue is mental toughness and confidence!! When we were on PP, you could see the guys too afraid to pull a quick shot... they were almost like waiting for a WIDE OPEN shooting lane.... *sigh* frustrating for sure.... at times Miller could have just snapped it but nope... he had to make a back pass for Hughes at the point

9 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Disagree on Horvat.  You’re spot on regarding Petey and Boeser.  No idea what’s going on with them but I think it begs the question:  How is Petey and Brock falling completely off the map Jim Benning’s fault?

Jason Dickinson was a major piece of Dallas’ PK last year and had very good advanced analytics in a number of defensive categories.  How is it Benning’s fault that he went ahead and brought in this piece (for a 3rd rounder), only for said player to not come close to delivering on expectations?

Why can’t OEL produce offense this season?  Why has Nate Schmidt returned to form on another team

To me, this all points to a flaw in coaching and systems as opposed to bad moves that Benning has made.

On paper, Demko, Hamonic, and Garland aren’t supposed to be very big drop offs to Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli.  On,y difference being that the former are either much younger and/or signed to more favorable terms.

Benning has done absolutely nothing wrong but it would seem that everyone else around him has let him down be it coaching, players, etc.  Benning’s biggest mistake, from what I see, is that he was too loyal to Travis Green.  Green is a diaper that needed changing sometime last season or after the 2020 bubble playoffs.

Benning is the guy that prolonged the pain when Green got the new contract.

So now it’s all on Benning either throught beingloyal to Green or to chicken to say what he really thinks to Aquilini.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Well.. his sign said "THX BENNING".. don't think you can confiscate a sign because of implied sarcasm lol 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points !

Green has been a lame duck coach for a few years now and the Schmidt situation proves this so - imo.  

well he really was "Lame Duck" last year, as they ran his contract out without an extension

that is quite rare in sports for the same reasons I just gave

that was the epitome of "Lame Duck" 

I find it really funny how many fans have turned on Pettersson since his comments last summer.

I supported those statements then and still do to this day

This is an example of the problems created when a lame duck situation is allowed to fester.

If you are a player, playing under a lame duck coach, it is a signal that this season (2021) is a wash.

Schmidt said, "I'm out" essentially saying "Don't waste my time or my career"

Pettersson, ( with less clout due to his age and contract restrictions) issues a warning while Green gets re-signed and he waits

The time to act was last Summer, (at the latest) or even 10 games into last season when the team was not ready for the season

players are watching their careers stall and their contract values shrink 

Who on the team is seeing their value increase by playing in this situation?

2 minutes ago, combover said:

ok. 

security thought he was a pro Benning he was not. I just read the story sounds like Nucks media has tried to remove him from any highlights. 

i was just curious like I said some people on Twitter said they had blatant fire Benning signs confiscated. 

there were even people who had discreet "Fire Benning" signs (like clever ones that only after folding would say that), and they were confiscated.. so yeah, no more freedom of speech in Aqua's establishments I guess 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

That’s a really good point.  If it’s coming from the bench then these guys need to be moved immediately.   Not sure why those guys would be doing that but that wouldn’t be Benning’s fault.

Pat Quinn wouldn't put up with that no matter what hat he was wearing

we are in our 3rd season of the PP playing all 2 minutes of the PP

It shows a coach that does not value the other players n the team or a team that over rides the coaches wishes

both are bad

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, combover said:

ok. 

Ah yes it was a “Thank you Jim” sign.  Not a “Fire Benning.”

ps - I forgot my Canucks Jersey at home and so I was wearing a B.C. Lions jersey.  Lol.

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

We all watched the same game... it wasn't lack of trying... a bigger issue is mental toughness and confidence!! When we were on PP, you could see the guys too afraid to pull a quick shot... they were almost like waiting for a WIDE OPEN shooting lane.... *sigh* frustrating for sure.... at times Miller could have just snapped it but nope... he had to make a back pass for Hughes at the point

The Garland goal was from a scrum infront of the net with Dickinson a big part of why it was scored. If EP40, JT and BB shot first more often their scoring would go up IMHO. Who other than JT and Garland are willing to crash the net on a regular basis? Chiasson will but his game looks confused. Not sure what coaches are asking of him? He tried more physicality along the boards last night but his team mates not so much.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

ps - I forgot my Canucks Jersey at home and so I was wearing a B.C. Lions jersey.  Lol.

this actually sounds like a brilliant idea.... everyone wear whatever jersey you have that isn't a Canucks one.. seeing a crowd dressed in merch that isn't his own is sure to make Aqua :mad:

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

37 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have just finished reading "Faith" by Len Deighton

its a spy novel from the 80s

there are lots of high level meetings which include backstabbing, bullying. the high level hiding of mistakes, white washing and of course fall guys

Its a great companion read if you want an insight into what might be going on in Canuckville at the mo

When thinking about Aqua,

ever wonder what the process was when he let Gillis go?

Gillis seemed to get one shot, when the 2011 team did not rebound by 2014, poof gone

no second chances for that guy

Working in a corporation, that I've experienced become a giant in Canada has shown me in real life, all of those things you had mentioned.  Without insider context, I can only guess about Gillis but good chance, my guess & yours will be good enough.  Although, if I were to guess and comparing it to Lindens' situation: it seems that Aquaman already knows what he thinks is best and anyone that disagrees' is let go.   Unfortunately and based on my observations - the employee that tends to be promoted or kept for these reason(s), are generally, the ones that (unknowingly ?) fosters a culture of mediocrity cause they ulitimately, don't care about the company; and there results/performance confirms, that they are the ones that should had been let go.

Anyways, how Aquaman will navigate the team through this situation will reveal alot about his leadership philosophies & priorities.  Currently, the on ice product confirms alot about him already cause he is the one that assembled this leadership group (including the staff); and the message being sent to the whole organization is - mediocrity is acceptable cause it is my busines.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Ah yes it was a “Thank you Jim” sign.  Not a “Fire Benning.”

Now that's a rare sighting.  Not as rare as a decent head coach behind the Canucks bench.:P

29 minutes ago, combover said:

Is it true that security was taking away any fire Benning signs at this game? 
I seen a couple posts saying they had signs confiscated. 

they have been doing that for years

they removed my "Finger me Joe" sign many moons ago

It s all part of why the Vancouver games are soo tame/lame

and  a sign of Aqua's desire to exert corporate control over his product

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Really.

Petey isn't even a fourth line nhl player with his current play.

Boeser and Bo are just floating out there doing nothing.

Hughes is the only ok core piece not named Demko. 

Face it, no gm is gonna pay us more than a 2nd rounder for these guys and we have to take salary back too.

We are screwed for the next decade.

Geez, man.  If that's the way you think, you really should gravitate to another team.  It's really not worth feeling that kind of disappointment for a decade.

Honestly the boys were the better team our pk just sucks and JT Miller is too stubborn to figure out that he can go retrieve his stick on a penalty kill from the bench and that it only takes a few seconds. 

Bo, Hogz, Garland and OEL had great games, a handful of others had strong games and there weren't many who were poor (Boes and Petey struggled again tonight as expected). 

Coaching is still the issue obviously, but you can't knock the team tonight. The team played well. The systems just sucked. 

In about 5 more games we will get a coaching change. We are just ensuring our season is completely off the rails first before you change anything, as you do when you're Canucks ownership. 

• Upvote 2