The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. state of emergency 2021

Ms.Glitter

1 hour ago, ronthecivil said:

Well that's the downside to democracy, unless it's a squeaky wheel or is bright and shiny to the public, it gets ignored.

Authoritarian governments kick ass at building infrastructure. Unfortunately they also do a "great" job at a lot more scarier stuff.

I mean, there's a group of lawyers (pivot legal society) looking after the local drug users association. That's a squeky wheel. And even it's not fixed. (Recent news conference that they are caving and looking to give them free drugs. Expect that. But the money to get them out of the cycle of addiction? Don't count on it...)

New skytrain lines are bright and shiny, but they are not immune to penny pinching and NIMBYism.

Infrastructure will be in the news until the roads are open and the water is mopped up and then it will fall to the wayside again.

Besides, even if we had a non democratic government, the amount of stuff that needs to get fixed is well beyond comprehension to the general public. It's all been rotting for 40+ years. 

That the provinces are just subdivision of the fed where they have some autonomy is understandable. But when the province and the municipalities point fingers at each other it's tragic. The municipalities are ultimately under full control of the province. The province can change the borders, create a new town, fire the mayor, take away the cities council. They have full control. 

Saying it's the "responsibility of the municipality" is silly when they are not in charge of the rivers. It's just a way for the province (and thus the feds) to try to get out of being responsible. And every political party does it, because running on a "pass the buck" strategy is a lot more likely to get a win than "take responsiblity" (it's expensive! higher taxes and bigger debts!) (Opposition says "ya, responsible for higher taxes and bigger debts" "You can't fix everything, you have to priorities" "We like the look at the whole picture".

So no, it won't be different. Ever.

its pretty bizarre, because I keep thinking this has to be the century for civil engineering to really be the focus, you know, assuming we don't want to all turn into Aquaman and grow gills. 

I do think we still have a good democratic system, the problem is most people don't bother to really get active and involved. 

The Coquihalla Hwy is re-opening to Commercial traffic and buses on Dec 20th. Unbelievable turnaround to get that highway re-opened in less than a month. Also travel restrictions are being lifted for Hwy 3, Hope to Princeton on Dec 21st. So, be aware, both highways are not at 100%. Lots of single lane traffic and flag people will be out trying to keep the speed limits down, so all can get to their destinations safely. Especially the Coq!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/15/2021 at 3:56 PM, johngould21 said:

The Coquihalla Hwy is re-opening to Commercial traffic and buses on Dec 20th. Unbelievable turnaround to get that highway re-opened in less than a month. Also travel restrictions are being lifted for Hwy 3, Hope to Princeton on Dec 21st. So, be aware, both highways are not at 100%. Lots of single lane traffic and flag people will be out trying to keep the speed limits down, so all can get to their destinations safely. Especially the Coq!

Highway 3 is not bad it was just super full of trucks. Same deal highway 5A. So I guess it means general travel is open again as well, just not on the fastest route. Even when highway 1 opens it should be interesting. 

Keep in mind that the temp repairs will mean there are very slow sections on 1 and 5. And don't be shocked if there's construction on those roads, lots of it, for like the next five summers. That is if you want to "build it back better".

26 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Highway 3 is not bad it was just super full of trucks. Same deal highway 5A. So I guess it means general travel is open again as well, just not on the fastest route. Even when highway 1 opens it should be interesting. 

Keep in mind that the temp repairs will mean there are very slow sections on 1 and 5. And don't be shocked if there's construction on those roads, lots of it, for like the next five summers. That is if you want to "build it back better".

I'm genuinly amazed they got it even serviceable.

But pulling the transport and freight  off of the hope princeton will do an amazing amount of good towards making that route more viable for standard transport to and from the coast

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a good idea on how to eliminate the need for a business case for the sumas prarie works AND solve the potential class action lawsuit.

Just partition the parts of Abbottsford and Chilliwack that are the former lake, along with the dykes and the pump station, and make it it's own municipality!

Then they would only have themselves to sue, and economics will tell us very quickly if this town is worth keeping, or it should be shut down.....

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

I just had a good idea on how to eliminate the need for a business case for the sumas prarie works AND solve the potential class action lawsuit.

Just partition the parts of Abbottsford and Chilliwack that are the former lake, along with the dykes and the pump station, and make it it's own municipality!

Then they would only have themselves to sue, and economics will tell us very quickly if this town is worth keeping, or it should be shut down.....

That's actually a great idea.

Just do it before this next atmospheric river and the warm temps it brings show up this week because it looks like it may be another issue if it hits hard with rain and warmer temps

12 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Highway 1 Lytton to Spences Bridge is now open YAY~!

No more feelin stuck in place.

Welcomed change, I was in Lytton the past couple of days and everyone I know there was looking forward to getting out of town :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 6:46 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe this will serve as the wakeup call that "deferred maintenance" is not the same as "no maintenance", and they'll finally start providing the required maintenance on all the key roadways and rail lines to ensure optimal service levels...

...eh, never mind.  The government only cares about #1.  Spending money on infrastructure is so 1800's, and will only earn ill-will of the electorate, much of which aren't capable of focussing on anything much further than their own nose, and whose favourite mantra seems to be, "Don't tax me, bro!"  :picard:

Don't see how the BC government can force CP or CN to maintain their network, besides, their private businesses and the Fraser Canyon is vital to their operations I don't think for a minute that either of them are neglecting their obligations in that regard.

It's also a joint operation as CP and CN share trackage rights from the Mission bridge nearly all the way to Kamloops, instead of having trains meet at passing sidings on their own routes, all trains running east take CP trackage and all trains west take CN, it's extremely efficient and it also provides redundancy, Canadian Pacific was up and running again only a week after the major floods.

On 11/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Ms.Glitter said:

I'm sending my best thoughts and prayers to everyone there. 

Please take care of each other, share and don't hoard items. 

The wrath and destruction is an ongoing situation. Virus, fires, floods...

Who is to say what is next? 

Appreciate how precious life is and how awesome it is. 

Stay safe out there. 

What’s next?

TRUCKERS

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, Coconuts said:

Next it'll probably be earthquakes, I've only been hearing about how we're overdue my entire life 

It's almost like there is a book that predicted this 2000 years ago. Ah well, still nothing to worry about . I mean, you can't complain until its ukraine level right ? 

http://theprovince.com/news/politics/liberal-and-ndp-close-to-deal-to-keep-trudeau-in-power-until-2025/wcm/101c0ee7-16c1-40c0-ac6f-74f379522bac

Talk Ryan GIF by brawlstars

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

It's almost like there is a book that predicted this 2000 years ago. Ah well, still nothing to worry about . I mean, you can't complain until its ukraine level right ? 

http://theprovince.com/news/politics/liberal-and-ndp-close-to-deal-to-keep-trudeau-in-power-until-2025/wcm/101c0ee7-16c1-40c0-ac6f-74f379522bac

Squinting GIF | Gfycat

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Did the book specifically mention Trudeau? that would be neat. Maybe it got lost in translation, whats ancient Hebrew for "little potato"?

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Wtf

Is

This

Tripe

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...