The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If this season bombs, do you support a rebuild ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

If this season bombs, do you support a rebuild ?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Ajax- said:

I'm speaking out loud but I'm concerned that the Cancer in the room may be Petey?

Maybe, maybe not. I know that I don't like the way he looks out there, and I'm not just talking about his poor play. 

From just a play perspective, I don't think he's the player to build around. He has all the talent in the world, but he doesn't have the size, power or motor to really drive the play. He could be a nice complementary piece as a winger, but not at the price we're paying him. I think we seriously need to think of moving him ASAP while he still has value.

• Like 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe, maybe not. I know that I don't like the way he looks out there, and I'm not just talking about his poor play. 

From just a play perspective, I don't think he's the player to build around. He has all the talent in the world, but he doesn't have the size, power or motor to really drive the play. He could be a nice complementary piece as a winger, but not at the price we're paying him. I think we seriously need to think of moving him ASAP while he still has value.

Remember his epic back checking in his rookie year? Common Petey where is that?

Don't see that often enough. Or God forbid drop down and block a shot like Motte.

After what I've seen last year and so far this year, I'm not sure about his core status. Does he want ant to be here?

I don't support another rebuild.  I like the core we have and still think that with a bit of tinkering they can become a very good team in the future. 

I can see Boeser and Miller traded (at opportune times) to fortify some weaknesses on the team with younger, quicker and stronger players.  We all know what they are, so I won't go on about them. 

Hopefully next season we will see some prospects stepping up (McDonough, Rathbone, Woo, Lockwood, Klimovich) during the year and young guys like Podz, Hogs and the rest of the core will only get better.

As for the team right now, I would prefer to just let them play.  Don't worry about trades right now; wait for Boes to improve his game and trade at the most opportune time.  As for Miller, keep him until close to trade deadline, where he will probably be in huge demand. 

2 hours ago, Ajax- said:

We do not need a rebuild. This is not the time to do a panic trade for the sake of a trade. We have alot of valuable pieces for now and 3-6 years from now.

Use the remaining season to bring in some experienced management and coaching, see where your at trade deadline after analysing what's missing or doesn't fit. 

They have lots of choices, some more painful and long term, others short and direct, like a new coach.

Somebody needs to make a &^@#ing decision imho, and it will not be a full rebuild.

Do you think this core is good enough like cup contender good? 

I don't. Even if Pete is PPG right now we are what maybe a wild card team.  

The reality is the cupboards are bare and this is our best form. This is it..... The grand finale. 

Its not good enough it just isn't. Buuuuuuut what it is is..... in a fantastic position to actually rebuild. Miller and Brock each get you Kesslerian returns. That's a word now I said it. If we actually accepted the rebuild they would be in the best position they have been to date since the WCE era to actually effectively re build.  

On 11/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

:picard: He already proved himself against men in Sweden and against NHL players for 2 years when he was smaller.

after 2019- 2020, the only players with more ppg than him was McDavid,Matthews and Khucherov. And it wasn't by much.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, Ajax- said:

Remember his epic back checking in his rookie year? Common Petey where is that?

Don't see that often enough. Or God forbid drop down and block a shot like Motte.

After what I've seen last year and so far this year, I'm not sure about his core status. Does he want ant to be here?

Way too much is made of what players say in their home country, in their language. What he said in Sweden isn't the same as saying it in Vancouver. He was just answering some casual questions. We aren't Edmonton. And even Edmonton isn't having a problem keeping McDavid.

He is clearly playing through a mental or physical injury.

Most ppl who say we should trade him don't likely mean it. Its just an emotional outburst more than anything else.

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

:picard: He already proved himself against men in Sweden and against NHL players for 2 years when he was smaller.

after 2019- 2020, the only players with more ppg than him was McDavid,Matthews and Khucherov. And it wasn't by much.

I'm unconcerned with what he did in Sweden. He doesn't carry the play. He's a passenger more often than not. He gets pushed around constantly. He's injury prone, likely because he's built like a giraffe made of toothpicks. We will never win a cup if Elias Pettersson is the centerpiece of our team. Bank on it.

On 11/20/2021 at 7:20 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Rebuild meaning keep Petey and Hughs mainly. But that could include Boeser, Pods Hog, Rathbone and Demko.

We only need to do a 1/2 rebuild because we already have 2 pieces in Petey and Hughs. That wasn't the case just a few years ago. We have already endured some of the rebuild pain. In 2014/15 a rebuild would have taken 4-6 years minimum. But now it would only take 1-3 years.

There will be somebody who says a rebuild means Petey should be traded too. That's wrong. The only reason you are rebuilding is to get players like Petey and Hughs so its insane to start trading them. Trading them is how you become the Oilers.

It's bombed

On 11/20/2021 at 7:44 PM, on the cycle said:

This team can be turned around just not with Benning. He should be fired immediately, why should he get anymore opportunities after coming up on 8 years?

Gillis was fired less than 3 years after making the cup final (not saying it was completely unjustified) shouldn't Benning be held to the same standard?

There's been no accountability or standards from Benning for almost 8 years now, from ownership all the way down to this forum.

That's why we are where we are.

Yeah, id probably keep demko, bo, hogs, garland, petey, and hughes.  The rest should be traded for picks + cap dumps on expiring contracts. we are probably stuck with OEL and myers, but i can live with that. I like boesser, but he's been phil kessel levels of coasting in the d-zone.  Id let bo go if the offer was really good. 

9 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Way too much is made of what players say in their home country, in their language. What he said in Sweden isn't the same as saying it in Vancouver. He was just answering some casual questions. We aren't Edmonton. And even Edmonton isn't having a problem keeping McDavid.

He is clearly playing through a mental or physical injury.

Most ppl who say we should trade him don't likely mean it. Its just an emotional outburst more than anything else.

Say what in his own country? You lost me

Emotional outburst, Haha hilarious 

IMO there are enough good pieces here to just retool instead of scorching the earth.

The problem is, how are we going to acquire what we're missing? Our #1 need is a top-pairing RD... most teams are looking for one of these and nobody that has one is selling.

Could also use an upgrade on 2nd pair RD, which isn't impossible to find, but the cost will still hurt.

And of course that elusive quality 3C, because Dickinson doesn't seem to be it.

Then, even if you're able to find a trade partner for all these needs, we have no cap. We'll have to pay for someone to take Dickinson, Poolman, Myers, whoever you need to move to make room.

Is it doable? Probably. Is it going to be quick? No, not without a few miracles.

Edited by kanucks25

9 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Google "outlier" and then realize you've put too much stock into it.

Something is wrong in the room.  The team isn't playing like a team.  Some players just don't have the jump or desire that they should have.  What is the cause of this?  Lots of people around the team are being asked this question and nobody seems to know or maybe they just aren't saying.  

Pettersson put up points at about a 0.9 ppg rate in his first 3 years.  This year it's 0.5 ppg and the points are coming at an inconsistent rate.  That's a pretty drastic change so I ask you, which season is the outlier?  I could go through the entire team and find similar results for most of the team.  The exception is Miller (the eyeroll guy :rolleyes:) Garland and Hughes.  

We know that the core of this team is capable of more.  Ask yourself, what happened after the bubble that may have caused a rift in the room?  How many important members of that group are no longer with the team?  That is my theory.  It may not be the whole answer but I bet you that is has a lot to do with it.

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Something is wrong in the room.  The team isn't playing like a team.  Some players just don't have the jump or desire that they should have.  What is the cause of this?  Lots of people around the team are being asked this question and nobody seems to know or maybe they just aren't saying.  

Pettersson put up points at about a 0.9 ppg rate in his first 3 years.  This year it's 0.5 ppg and the points are coming at an inconsistent rate.  That's a pretty drastic change so I ask you, which season is the outlier?  I could go through the entire team and find similar results for most of the team.  The exception is Miller (the eyeroll guy :rolleyes:) Garland and Hughes.  

We know that the core of this team is capable of more.  Ask yourself, what happened after the bubble that may have caused a rift in the room?  How many important members of that group are no longer with the team?  That is my theory.  It may not be the whole answer but I bet you that is has a lot to do with it.

I really like what you wrote here... a lot of my thoughts are the same. I really think it is more than coaching. I doubt anyone has told Elias that on the pp just Stand there and one,time it or pass it back to defense, but that is all that happens. Bo had a great goal last night but in a lot of nights you wonder what has happened. Defense is terrible, everyone is making easy simple mistakes that can’t be blamed on coaching. But maybe they hate all the guys behind the bench and don’t care.... ugh I wish someone would open their mouth and say more

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

So what is his problem? Is he purposely playing poorly?

Players come into the league and teams start to scout them and put together a plan of attack. Great players continually make adjustments or have skills that make it difficult for teams to shut them down. Speed , skating or size.

I think teams have figured out that they can take away his space and play him physically . He is struggling to find space. He is not fast and is very slightly built. They have got in his head. He may turn into an average player with a big ego. 

On 11/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, kanucks25 said:

IMO there are enough good pieces here to just retool instead of scorching the earth.

The problem is, how are we going to acquire what we're missing? Our #1 need is a top-pairing RD... most teams are looking for one of these and nobody that has one is selling.

Could also use an upgrade on 2nd pair RD, which isn't impossible to find, but the cost will still hurt.

And of course that elusive quality 3C, because Dickinson doesn't seem to be it.

Then, even if you're able to find a trade partner for all these needs, we have no cap. We'll have to pay for someone to take Dickinson, Poolman, Myers, whoever you need to move to make room.

Is it doable? Probably. Is it going to be quick? No, not without a few miracles.

I don't mean scorched earth. But it would be something that classifies as a rebuilt.

If we trade Miller , maybe Horvat , OEL and Myers , it would be classified as a rebuild and hitting rock bottom. Even though we are 3/4 rebuilt already. We'd get our picks next year and go from there. 

How old are you ? I'd give up some years for a cup. I'm 37 years old. I wept as a 10 year old when we lost in 1994 and my Mom told me that we'd win a cup in the future so don't worry. Then we lost in 2011. 

i just want to see one cup before i die. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33