The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I don't get it.

At WORST he's a solid, 2 way 3rd line W'er/C with great skating, size. The horror :rolleyes:

He's only 22, if he ever find his offense...

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of people sniffing their noses at him in a deal as if he's not worth having. Most probably haven't really dug into his numbers at all. 

• Cheers 1

Some people speak as if we can keep everyone or close to it. However they seem to forget that JR is the new President and already proclaimed changes will be made. I'm sure he's not going to stand by and just oversee the team that JB constructed adding a few tweaks here and there. They didn't just rebuild the whole front office to stand pat. Now there are several options (Boes, Bo, Miller, Petey) but Miller makes the most sense for a lot of reasons.

He will command top dollar in 2 years, possibly up to $2.5 million more than the other players. It obviously makes the $$ tighter with Miller. What really sways the issue is if we're serious about re-tooling we're getting way better assets back for Miller. Most importantly this isn't even a question if he's not re-signing here. You would have to be a pretty silly GM not to take a huge (over) payment for a guy that's not going to be here in two years.

Trading Petterson is fairly unlikely as his value is skewed right now and Boeser gives you no where close to the same return. The only other realistic possibility is trading Bo but you're adding $2mil to the payroll, you're adding 2 years to the overall age at the end of the contract, and you're severely reducing the return for the team. All of these things negatively affect flexibility moving forward and the ability to retool.

Either Miller or Bo should be moved at this deadline in order to maximize a return for the future. Keeping Miller seems a lot more risky with less chance of working out. As some have pointed out he could end up a $9.5m paperweight by the time JR's team is ready to compete.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

37 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think the idea is that the want to give him as a piece of value to give a lesser return. I like Chytil but he’s likely a 3rd liner so if you’re giving up Chytil as one of the main pieces I’d rather have a different piece. Barron is worth less than Chytil and he could potentially be a 3rd line center and actually stick at the Center position.

Well, he's not the focal piece, he'd likely be the third piece of a deal, after Schneider and a pick.  

• Cheers 1

There’s a very interesting article on Fansided that offers up five potential trade packages for Miller. However I do think a few of those packages could be beefed up a bit. 

Also, it’s worth noting that some of these suggestions have the Canucks retaining 50% salary. 

Boston:

Jake Debrusk (LW)
Fabian Lysell (RW)
2022 First Round Pick

Florida:

Owen Tippett (RW)
Matthew Samoskevich (RW)
2023 1st Round Pick
2024 2nd Round Pick

Minnesota:

Kevin Fiala (LW)
Carson Lambos (D)
2022 1st Round Pick

Colorado:

Alex Newhook (C/LW)
2023 2nd Round Pick
Tyson Jost (C/LW)

New York:

Braden Schneider (RHD)
Filip Chytil (C/LW)
2022 1st Round Pick

If these were the only five options on the table, it’s extremely difficult to say which one I’d pick. Lysell is so appealing, and because of our lack of depth on RD the New York offer would be appealing too, and I’m a big fan of Newhook, so that’s a tough one to pass on too. Ultimately I think I’d go with the New York offer as the big talented RD in Schneider would be too tempting to pass and that’s exactly the type of player that our team needs. 

https://thecanuckway.com/2022/01/26/five-possible-trade-scenarios-for-canucks-jt-miller/amp/2/

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Thanks 1

Also, I’ve seen Boldy’s named floated around here a few times. If we could land him, I believe that would be a huge win for us. Having said that, I don’t believe that Minny would part ways with him, even in a 1-for-1 trade. I might get flamed for believing that, but I think that with Boldy they know they’ve got a legitimate stud on their hands for many years to come. 

20 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

There’s a very interesting article on Fansided that offers up five potential trade packages for Miller. However I do think a few of those packages could be beefed up a bit. 

Also, it’s worth noting that some of these suggestions have the Canucks retaining 50% salary. 

Boston:

Jake Debrusk (LW)
Fabian Lysell (RW)
2022 First Round Pick

Florida:

Owen Tippett (RW)
Matthew Samoskevich (RW)
2023 1st Round Pick
2024 2nd Round Pick

Minnesota:

Kevin Fiala (LW)
Carson Lambos (D)
2022 1st Round Pick

Colorado:

Alex Newhook (C/LW)
2023 2nd Round Pick
Tyson Jost (C/LW)

New York:

Braden Schneider (RHD)
Filip Chytil (C/LW)
2022 1st Round Pick

If these were the only five options on the table, it’s extremely difficult to say which one I’d pick. Lysell is so appealing, and because of our lack of depth on RD the New York offer would be appealing too, and I’m a big fan of Newhook, so that’s a tough one to pass on too. Ultimately I think I’d go with the New York offer as the big talented RD in Schneider would be too tempting to pass and that’s exactly the type of player that our team needs. 

https://thecanuckway.com/2022/01/26/five-possible-trade-scenarios-for-canucks-jt-miller/amp/2/

To van: lafreniere, Schneider, 1st round pick 2022

to nyr: Miller 

even that top offer were still a worse team in the short term and our locker room leadership gets nuked

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, billabong said:

even that top offer were still a worse team in the short term and our locker room leadership gets nuked

Oh yeah, I agree about the locker room. I would hate to see what loosing Miller would do to our team morale. 

Nonetheless I would take that trade package that you mentioned there and run with that for sure. That has the potential to set our team up nicely in the near future. Lafreniere still has so much to offer and could break out as soon as next season, or maybe even this year with a change of scenery and a bigger role. And Schneider looks solid so far and could be a big help for us down our relatively week right side. 

You look at our lack of production on defense. I think I’d much rather have Lundkvist than Schneider and then draft someone like Nemec, Jiricek or Chesley, to fix our RD situation.

I just don’t think Schneider is on the table, unless they get someone who can impact them, not just a few seasons, but long term as well. 

Edited by shiznak

the former connection between Emilie Castonguay and Alexis Lafreniere is interesting...

The Vancouver Canucks are asking for an ‘astronomical’ price for forward J.T. Miller at this time but it could come down closer to the trade deadline. Miller could play on right wing on either of the top-two lines and possibly shift to second-line center next year if need be. Could the Rangers convince the Canucks to retain some salary?

Will the Canucks go after Rangers Alexis Lafreniere in the offseason with new Canucks assistant GM Emilie Castonguay being Lafreniere’s former agent? Could there be a ‘mega-deal’ involving either Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvat?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, billabong said:

That's my deal too, except I have the first rounder replaced by Barron, because: 1) I don't think the Rangers would give up quite that much for Miller and, 2) Barron can step in at centre right away and replace at least some of the size, physicality and skill that we would be losing in Miller.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I absolutely agree about Minnesota, but NYR and Col both have far more of a need for Miller than they do currently untested or unproven prospects.  In NYR's case, that blue line is a gift from Orr.  In Colorado's case, it's the same thing.  Both have prospects they can capably shed because of who they have currently playing under the contracts they are playing with.

I firmly believe we COULD fit in Miller at 8.5 million as it's only a 3.25 million increase and by the end of next season we'll actually have shed some dead space in regards to cap space with the loss of Holtby and Virtanen at $2.4 million, a total of $10.4 million in cap space and Myers on the last year of his deal.  Not even including of course LTIR etc.

IO dare say keeping him won't be nearly as hard as some suggest as the following year we'd have $33 million in cap space as the current math states.

If you move a few pieces out like Dickinsons contract, maybe even Myers, I have no doubt we can meet JTs $ amount. The problem is the term. The Miller camp is going to want 6 - 8 years on that deal, and i'd figure we get 3 - 4 good years from that, the rest its possibly all down hill. Add the fact we have another albatross contract on the downslope by that time (OEL), its a very very risky move.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

the former connection between Emilie Castonguay and Alexis Lafreniere is interesting...

The Vancouver Canucks are asking for an ‘astronomical’ price for forward J.T. Miller at this time but it could come down closer to the trade deadline. Miller could play on right wing on either of the top-two lines and possibly shift to second-line center next year if need be. Could the Rangers convince the Canucks to retain some salary?

Will the Canucks go after Rangers Alexis Lafreniere in the offseason with new Canucks assistant GM Emilie Castonguay being Lafreniere’s former agent? Could there be a ‘mega-deal’ involving either Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvat?

No way Petey is involved in a trade with the Rangers. He’s starting to turn with respect to his play. Laff hasn’t even produced the same way Elias has. Rangers fans overrating Laffreniere. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

You look at our lack of production on defense. I think I’d much rather have Lundkvist than Schneider and then draft someone like Nemec, Jiricek or Chesley, to fix our RD situation.

I just don’t think Schneider is on the table, unless they get someone who can impact them, not just a few seasons, but long term as well. 

I’m not sure we would be in the running for Nemec or Jiricek. I think they go before we could snag them. 

Covers Pittsburgh who are believed to also be interested.  They just lost Zucker indefinitely following core muscle surgery.

Marek compares the Chychrun ask to the Burns trade - 1st round pick + Charlie Coyle who was picked 28th overall the previous draft + Devon Setoguchi who was 24 at the time of the trade.  Also doesn't see Florida parting with Lundell or Anaheim with McTavish to get Chychrun.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure we would be in the running for Nemec or Jiricek. I think they go before we could snag them. 

McKenzine has Nemec at 9, which isn’t too far where we are currently slated to pick. Trading Miller will certainly bump us up a few spots in the draft. 

Jiricek isn’t far-fetched, either. His ranking is all over the place. Ranked as high as 3rd and as low as 15th. His knee injury might shy away teams, as well. 

Edited by shiznak

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Sorry, we cannot get smaller on defence.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Since Castonguay knows Laugher so well, she realizes the guy is a bustaroo bonsai.  We have no interest in that sack of craperolla.  

• Vintage 1