The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What team will pay Miller 9.5 x 7 years?  That's close to 70 million.  I say we can sign him for 8 x 8.  

9th in scoring on a team where there's a 27 point gap between him on the next forward. During a season where's he's been the guy. On a McDavid-like pointstreak and does a lot more than score.

I think at this point a lot of teams would give him 9.5M x 7. He's playing like a 10M dollar forward atm.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, AlphaNuck said:

If we trade Miller , are we not looking for a player in the trade like Miller? 

why trade Miller?  

miller 

Not necessarily (though it would be great if we get a younger, ELC/RFA version of one by luck).

Because of cap, age, contention windows and opportunity cost.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, coryberg said:

We are in the year 2022... eg. This summer I'm taking a trip to tofino. Next summer the one I'll probably plan a trip to Hawaii.Millie Bobby Brown Reaction GIF by Converse

But you never used that first sentence in your original post. Obviously if you begin with this and include a next, the meaning changes. You only said next summer, hence the meaning is the one coming up. Nice try.

angry soap opera GIF by General Hospital

Edited by grandmaster
  • Haha 2

Man, could you imagine the legacy JT Miller would leave with this fanbase if he signed an insane deal of say $7.9M AAV for 8 years?  He'd be an instant legend with the Canucks moving forward where he would be spoken in the same breath as some of the greatest players to ever wear a Canucks uniform.

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Man, could you imagine the legacy JT Miller would leave with this fanbase if he signed an insane deal of say $7.9M AAV for 8 years

Good deal for the first 3 years, ok deal for the next 2years and likely horrible for the last 3 years.

I'm not signing anyone to an 8 yr deal.

Connor Bedard included.

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Man, could you imagine the legacy JT Miller would leave with this fanbase if he signed an insane deal of say $7.9M AAV for 8 years?  He'd be an instant legend with the Canucks moving forward where he would be spoken in the same breath as some of the greatest players to ever wear a Canucks uniform.

Said no one ever.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Strange, Miller isn’t traded yet and he’s been lights out and transformed into a formidable leader.

NYR would love that and throw Schneider, Lafdr etc after us…

Maybe the Rags are offering Lafreniere and Schneider now and JR/PA are saying no?  And no because we are keeping Miller. He's now untouchable.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the Rags are offering Lafreniere and Schneider now and JR/PA are saying no?  And no because we are keeping Miller. He's now untouchable.  

Petey, Demko and Hughes are the only untouchables.

Fans here seem to think Millers production will disappear in thin air while I believe the players we have and the players coming in will make similar goals for  but much less goals against. 

JR said before that we met a lot of second goalies while BB had his long stretch of wins. 
Now were better but the teams we meet will up their play when the going gets tough. 

40 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Strange, Miller isn’t traded yet and he’s been lights out and transformed into a formidable leader.

NYR would love that and throw Schneider, Lafdr etc after us…

You’ll have better luck playing “Wack a Mole” in your dreams, than pushing those big city ideas Timra !  Hit Sony GIF by Peter Rabbit Movie

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Petey, Demko and Hughes are the only untouchables.

Fans here seem to think Millers production will disappear in thin air while I believe the players we have and the players coming in will make similar goals for  but much less goals against. 

JR said before that we met a lot of second goalies while BB had his long stretch of wins. 
Now were better but the teams we meet will up their play when the going gets tough. 

If Demko plays good we can beat anyone, especially in a playoff series where 5 on 5 play is often the decider.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You are wrong. You've been proven wrong and pretty much admitted it. Next summer is still next year no matter how you slice it. 

Now as far as calling me a bitch? Maybe we can meet for a beer and discuss that in detail.

He's right and you're wrong.  Just tap out and take the loss like a man.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That's not actually the goal of a move like this. You simply don't "replace" a guy like Miller.

Great if you get lucky and it happens with one of your trade return turning in to that, but it's not the main goal. 

This team has holes now (even more moving forward),...3C, RD1, RD2, 3LD, solid PK F's  probably the most obvious.

If you can fill a couple or 3 of those holes by moving Miller, while also freeing up cap, you open up opportunity to trade for the "next Miller", down the line, with a deeper team, in its contention window and the "next Miller" on his pre-breakout, bargain deal (like Miller is on now).

Without that cap space, you have opportunity cost. You lose the ability to make that move, to fill those holes, to create the depth around your star players that is required for deep playoff runs.

We have a three D in Bo.

Myers is playing great at 1 RD.

We have Hughes and OEL so our RD can be weaker players.  Look at how good Schenn looks with Hughes.  OEL does similar for Myers.  

We have Bone coming for 3 LD

PK is about the goalie as much as the skaters.  

I think we have a very good team.  We should be looking at our group since BB took over.  The sample size is plenty big enough.  

I think the Rags have upped their offer to include both Lafreniere and Schneider, but PA and JR are saying no.  They would prefer to keep Miller.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

9th in scoring on a team where there's a 27 point gap between him on the next forward. During a season where's he's been the guy. On a McDavid-like pointstreak and does a lot more than score.

I think at this point a lot of teams would give him 9.5M x 7. He's playing like a 10M dollar forward atm.

Who is good, that he would want to play for, and has that room?  

This is Millers team right now . Love to watch him play has really cleaned up his play in the Canucks zone this year , Nobody seems to talk about that part of his game because his offence has been so dam good . Wish they can resign him even knowing that a 6.7 or 8 year will probably have to be bought out or traded with extra chip ins near the end . But if he just wants to go back to the states to play than the Canucks are better to find out soon and do the best they can .

For me any deal has to evolve a top end RD and a A prospect  . everything else would have to be an add on , Still rather resign him  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's not actually the goal of a move like this. You simply don't "replace" a guy like Miller.

Great if you get lucky and it happens with one of your trade return turning in to that, but it's not the main goal. 

This team has holes now (even more moving forward),...3C, RD1, RD2, 3LD, solid PK F's  probably the most obvious.

If you can fill a couple or 3 of those holes by moving Miller, while also freeing up cap, you open up opportunity to trade for the "next Miller", down the line, with a deeper team, in its contention window and the "next Miller" on his pre-breakout, bargain deal (like Miller is on now).

Without that cap space, you have opportunity cost. You lose the ability to make that move, to fill those holes, to create the depth around your star players that is required for deep playoff runs.

Good points, but all depends when you’re proposing to trade Miller, no?

offseason is the best of both worlds, IF you’re going to do it, imho 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

He already is being spoken in that same breath. :bigblush: