The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, King Loui said:

The right move would 100% be to move Miller right now for futures but we've wasted so much time taking the route we have the last 7 years, we'll be pretty hard pressed telling some pieces of our roster that we may be taking a step back for a couple of years.  This is why trading for players who are ready to compete now when we as a team were not ready to compete now was always destined to fail.  We just went two straight years without a first round pick, now we want to trade JT Miller for.....a 1st round pick?  And we need to save some cap....but we just traded for OEL..  We're actually in a really tough spot

Let's assume that trading Miller would be a "good" thing. What kind of futures are you talking about? Prospects might be NHL ready (I suspect not), but likely will be a year or so away. Picks this year (and perhaps next) likely won't be close to NHL ready for perhaps as much 4 - 5 years. A lot of the current core will be getting into the latter half of their careers by that point. 

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Depends.

I thought JR had full autonomy on Hockey Ops or was FA just lying?

I agree that it’s better getting things done in the offseason instead of waiting until TDL.  Trading them at TDL would be a gut shot to the team.  But who knows how things will go…

That wasn’t the point. The point is there a massive difference between trading a 4th liner (Motte), and trading Miller (One of the best players in the league) or Horvat (star player/ captain of the team)

You don’t just push a button on a console and have bling bling on TV and there’s the trade.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That wasn’t the point. The point is there a massive difference between trading a 4th liner (Motte), and trading Miller (One of the best players in the league) or Horvat (star player/ captain of the team)

You don’t just push a button on a console and have bling bling on TV and there’s the trade.

Sure there is a difference.  That being on what the Canucks can get back in a trade at the deadline.  

JR mentioned previously that they had until TDL to get something done with Miller (and presumably Bo).  But that doesn’t mean that they will let them waltz into UFA status and get nothing in return.  If that happened, Canucks would be set back a few years.

And I did say it’s better to get something done this offseason.

In that clip, JR mentions having cap space to be a player.  So changes will be made this off-season.  Whether that means trading Miller or not qualifying Boeser like some posters want.

27 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Let's assume that trading Miller would be a "good" thing. What kind of futures are you talking about? Prospects might be NHL ready (I suspect not), but likely will be a year or so away. Picks this year (and perhaps next) likely won't be close to NHL ready for perhaps as much 4 - 5 years. A lot of the current core will be getting into the latter half of their careers by that point. 

regards,  G.

Yes that's exactly my point by saying we are in an extremely tough spot.  We were built to be competitive now but we're still not competitive.  It's a tough decision but the right one will be to move Miller for futures and be ready to compete hopefully in 3-5 years

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, King Loui said:

The right move would 100% be to move Miller right now for futures but we've wasted so much time taking the route we have the last 7 years, we'll be pretty hard pressed telling some pieces of our roster that we may be taking a step back for a couple of years.  This is why trading for players who are ready to compete now when we as a team were not ready to compete now was always destined to fail.  We just went two straight years without a first round pick, now we want to trade JT Miller for.....a 1st round pick?  And we need to save some cap....but we just traded for OEL..  We're actually in a really tough spot

Benning tried to fast-track playoffs, to make the owners happy, keep his job. He sacrificed those 1st rounders so the Canucks would be competitive sooner than later. He even let some decent prospects go and now there's almost nothing. Canucks development of players has been really bad, and I think JR's team is going to change that. 

One of the first things JR said when he came in was that the Canucks are not in that part of the cycle where they're trading high picks. During their recent presser, Allvin looked a bit uncomfortable when faced with the question of whether the Canucks take a step back this off season. His response was something to effect of "no one wants to take a step back". It doesn't mean they won't though. Maybe they try to trade the big ticket items who don't fit into the "young core" - OEL, Myers, Miller, Pearson.  Recoup some high picks, maybe a good prospect or two. Try to undo some of Benning's mess. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

trade miller and Bo for 2 pieces each:

1. young future elite right side d man

2. young future elite two way center

3. young elite winger

4. mid career strong 2 way centre.

Miller to NJ for Hirschier and Holtz

Horvat to LA kings for Philip Danault, Sean Durzi, 2022 2nd

Podz Petey Boeser

Garland Hirschier Holtz

Pearson Danault Dickinson

That is one hell of a sh!tty idea there bud.

Why don’t you concentrate on the Abbotsford Canucks instead. There are a whole bunch of yougns over there.

Edited by Me_

If we trade JT the return has to be more than JT can bring to the table in the next 2-4 years. That is our window. The returning pieces have to contribute immediately 

Bo, Demko, EP and Quinn deserve some veteran strength as they bloom into their prime. 

We will need to lock down EP in a year too. 

Tough task. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Keep Miller and go all in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If we trade JT the return has to be more than JT can bring to the table in the next 2-4 years. That is our window. The returning pieces have to contribute immediately 

Bo, Demko, EP and Quinn deserve some veteran strength as they bloom into their prime. 

We will need to lock down EP in a year too. 

Tough task. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Keep Miller and go all in. 

If they trade JT Miller it would be for high pics, high level prospect and a useful salary. That gets cap room and long term benefit. Unlikely scenario that we are better over the next two years when he is in his prime unless something otherwise significant happens.  

Edited by DrJockitch

Just now, DrJockitch said:

If they trade JT Miller 9t would be for high pics, high level prospect and a useful salary. That gets cap room and long term benefit. Unlikely scenario that we are better over the next two years when he is in his prime unless something otherwise significant happens.  

I admit I am an old fan that is tried of waiting.

What JT brings to our squad is soo needed. He has durability of a Linden, points like a Sedin and emotions of a Burrows. 

I am not interested in long term benefit. I want the Cup. I want to load up around this great core and go for it.

If we win one cup, I would be happy with not making the playoffs for 10 years after that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

trade miller and Bo for 2 pieces each:

1. young future elite right side d man

2. young future elite two way center

3. young elite winger

4. mid career strong 2 way centre.

Miller to NJ for Hirschier and Holtz

Horvat to LA kings for Philip Danault, Sean Durzi, 2022 2nd

Podz Petey Boeser

Garland Hirschier Holtz

Pearson Danault Dickinson

Regardless of what happens with Miller Bo’s definitely not getting traded. What would that say to Hughes, Petey and Demko if we traded our captain? He also always steps up when we need it most in a game, regular season or playoffs. More often then not he carries the team on his back. He’s worth every penny.

Question number one is probably if they can find a way to clear a contract on defence. 13M second pairing won’t work with JT and Brock contracts. 
‘Problem is would be losing one of very few big bodies on D and leave a gaping hole without much cap left. 
Shake the tree JR. ready to see some stuff happen this summer. 

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

This is just speculation at this point but apparently Jeff Marek sees the Canucks being interested in Forsberg if they trade Miller.  I can't deny that is incredibly intriguing to me.  Forsberg's not going to be cheap though, and I have a hard time believing management would be willing to exceed whatever they want to pay for Miller to acquire Forsberg.

I would be all over that, a first line of POdz Petey Forsberg would be insane, maybe PA considers Forsberg a "superstar"

Isn't forsberg going to be a ufa and thus we do not have to trade for him?

Edited by Canucks Curse

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

And he'll be traded sooner than later if things don't work out at a number and term the Canucks like, it's not a keep Miller at all costs thing.

9 hours ago, mll said:

Not Miller but part of the off-season discussion.  In this segment here Rutherford says the 1st step will to be clear cap space.  He says there are teams that are going to have to move players to become cap compliant.  They want to be in the conversion with those teams but they need to clear cap space or they won't be able to make a deal.  

It'd be neat to take advantage of cap strapped teams, gotta free some up first though.

9 hours ago, BPA said:

Sounds like that is his #1 priority - cap space.  

Doesn’t sound like making the playoffs at all costs next year.

And it shouldn't be imo, I believe we're further away than closer. We've made the playoffs twice in nine seasons now and people wanna talk about contending? 

Most teams beat their head against the walls for years before breaking though, it's unlikely we waltz our way to a final over whatever's left of Miller's prime. 

Build around the youth, extend the window.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Wondering now, Miller is in his prime and just had a career year. He's a deep, contending team type of player. He's ready to win now. The rest of the Canucks aren't, really. Maybe Demko has it in him, and of course we know Schenn can go the distance. Pearson did once, but I think he's traded. 

This might be the time to trade JT Miller. His value is high, the Canucks could get a couple of really good pieces in return to join/help them when it's time to contend. When Pettersson and Podkolzin are ready, Miller may not be as effective. 

I trade him every day of the week if a suitable deal is available. Not for scraps, but I expect a good return will be abailable.

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not a chance. He's either traded or re-signed before the season starts. Our management isn't stupid. They know better. That quote is just posturing for the other GM's.

Yeah, we absolutely cannot afford to lose him for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And he'll be traded sooner than later if things don't work out at a number and term the Canucks like, it's not a keep Miller at all costs thing.

It'd be neat to take advantage of cap strapped teams, gotta free some up first though.

And it shouldn't be imo, I believe we're further away than closer. We've made the playoffs twice in nine seasons now and people wanna talk about contending? 

Most teams beat their head against the walls for years before breaking though, it's unlikely we waltz our way to a final over whatever's left of Miller's prime. 

Build around the youth, extend the window.

I trade him every day of the week if a suitable deal is available. Not for scraps, but I expect a good return will be abailable.

Yeah, we absolutely cannot afford to lose him for nothing.

If the first priority is to clear cap, how do we do that?  

Garland out for picks?

Miller for picks/prospects?

Let Boeser walk?

Just now, Alflives said:

If the first priority is to clear cap, how do we do that?  

Garland out for picks?

Miller for picks/prospects?

Let Boeser walk?

I'd explore Miller and Myers, not re-signing Miller to an extensions frees up more than his current 5.25 after this season, Myers only has a couple seasons left so he's not a long term commitment for a team looking for a top 4D with size. 

Maybe explore what it'd take to move Poolman or Dickinson. 

Pearson is fine as a middle six tweener, but it depends on what the market is. 

Garland and Boeser are possibilities, I think Boeser could go either way, if we can upgrade our D and he's a piece that helps us do it I think management has to ponder it. I think Garland stays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

If that was possible to pull off, itd be insane. Nashville letting Forsberg go to UFA would be a huge L for their franchise.

We'd be able to trade Miller for a kings ransom, and essentially replace his production without giving up any assets. 

This would be crazy if it happened. 

But management would have to also out bid other NHL teams that want to sign Forsberg. What advantage do we have, that no other team would/could have over us?