The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Based on my sources (which consist of nothing but my random hunches), we are going to see a Canucks trade happen tomorrow.

Book it baby!

Your sources Eklund? haha

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Petey is a great 200 foot centre, and clearly a 1C, as do many others.  That’s another reason why it’s time to move Miller.  This should be Petey’s team.  

It's probably Bo's team before it's Petey. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If you own a car you don't actually need to sell, you don't sell it until someone gives you exactly what you want for it,  no?

Players aren’t cars though.  Yes, some cars increase in value as they get old.  Players don’t. Miller’s value will decrease.  

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

It's probably Bo's team before it's Petey. 

Isn’t Landeskog the Captain in Colorado?  Yet, it’s Mackinnon’s team.  I see a similar thing here with Bo and Petey.  Yes Bo is the Captain, but the team will be lead by Petey’s play.  

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

You’re a rebuild addict.

Let’s bring in a Stanley Cup winning management only to rebuild because in the future, something might happen.

What the hell are you on bud?

Nah, I just see the writing on the wall with no cap flexibility, bare prospect pool, current D corp, bad contracts, etc.

Boredom

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Landeskog the Captain in Colorado?  Yet, it’s Mackinnon’s team.  I see a similar thing here with Bo and Petey.  Yes Bo is the Captain, but the team will be lead by Petey’s play.  

We could always put the C on Demko's mask!  Cause that wasn't weird when we did it last time!

• Haha 3

Just now, Baratheon said:

We could always put the C on Demko's mask!  Cause that wasn't weird when we did it last time!

Demko should have an ABC's mask with the C where Luongo had it just to &^@# with everyone 

Nothing but letters

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  It sounds like JR will try to reset by trading older Miller for younger (23-27) year old pieces to fill in as supporting players.  We will need incredible luck in the draft and have a pick develop and contribute in an important way in two-three years. 

Every successful team needs to build through the draft. So yeah we have to hope one of our first or even second/third rounders turn out to be solid contributors in that timeframe, or at least look like a guarantee. Those that do usually emerge fairly quickly and show they belong in the line-up. Like a Zegras in Anaheim. If after 2/3 years not one pick is turning out then you might as well blow it up but that's life in the NHL. It's a super tough league. You need to draft well and have some luck. I can't recall any teams just UFAing their way to a CUP. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I suggested a 'small scale' KABOOM a few pages back - it wasn't well received despite, in my view,  addressing most every organizational need we have including:

-youth, skill, cap flexibility,  RHD, draft capital,  and not committing huge % of cap allocation to an aging player at this point.   Whether it was completely realistic or not I suppose depends on the mind-set of an NHL GM^_^

Some people don't want to hear the truth how dire the situation really is.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Caps have BC boy Vincent Iorio who is a young RHD we should want back in a deal with Washington. I think Washington just waits to FA and signs Malkin but who knows!?

I'm intrigued, tell me more... 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

A Canuck to someone e5?

Nope…. p3 level

p1 level = I am bored and on the toilet

p2 level = I am listening to the voices in my head

p3 level = Mildly educated wild guess on my part

p4 level = I am just posting it to disagree with Oldnews or Dazzle’s annoying whinging about something.

p5 level = I read that it already happened on a Vintage thread 

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller, OEL, and Myers will be in their early to mid 30’s when the younger guys are in their primes.  Bo will be 30.  I think we are stuck with OEL, so we have to work with him on the club as our older veteran D, even though he’s paid like a key piece.  That means Myers needs to go before he leaves as a free agent.  Bo will be paid as a key core piece.  Petey is paid like a key core piece.  We can’t afford to pay an aging Miller like a key core piece in three years.  That’s why he’s very likely getting traded.  

Let Myers play out his contract. 
He is valuable. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

being NHL ready doesn't make him worth a late 1st.. literally no prospect with no NHL experience have ever been traded for a 1st.. garland is prolly worth a mid/late 1st and a prospect.. so Rathbone is worth almost as much as Garland? he played 17 games in the NHL and have not looked impressive.. he did impress down in the AHL.. but AHL success doesn't = NHL success.. to suggest he's already worth a 1st rounder regardless how late is laughable until he shows he can translate his AHL game into the NHL. he will be buried behind Hughes and OEL with next to no offensive opportunity.. how much success he will have with Vancouver remains to be seen.. IF OEL can't even get enough offensive opportunity behind Hughes.. i honestly don't see how Rathbone will even have any success with the big club seeing how he'll mostly play 3rd pairing with limited ice time and prolly next to none offensive opportunity barring an injury to hughes or OEL.. he's not exactly a defensive defenseman either.. i can foresee him struggling in the NHL with vancouver like he did earlier this season.. just coz he prolly ends up with like a borrough bowey hunt or whatever's left over and it'll be an adventure for that 3rd pairing. especially when our right side D is already an adventure itself.

Shortly after being drafted he was determined to be a steal at where he was drafted.  General consensus was that he was likely valued at a 2nd round pick.  Once he hit the AHL he has only continued to improve.  Now obviously he is not a sure thing, but who at position 25 and higher in this draft is a sure thing?  

The values aren’t wildly off, but it’s not even the main point.  Main point was to remove him from that proposed deal and also remove the very late first from the deal.  If we can get Kakko, Schneider and a first for Miller, great, but I’d do it for Kakko, Schneider and the 5M in cap space this year and around ~8M in cap space the following years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Let Myers play out his contract. 
He is valuable. 

Allvin already said the club can’t afford to lose guys (who have value) for nothing.  So I’d say Myers is traded before his contract ends, either at a TDL or next summer. 

• Upvote 1