The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, .Naslund said:

Byram was playing extremely well during the STF, is young and has 5 years of team control left. They literally have no reason to trade him.  He's supposed to be their franchise pillar LHD. That's what they drafted him  for lol

The only reason they would have to trade him is the same reason I think we should be hesitant on trading for him. Concussion history.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You said it, it's Byram.  He's a 2nd pairing guy for them and will be as long as Makar is there.  In my view they need a replacement for Kadri more than they need the luxury of having a player like Byram on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.  He barely played for them all season so they know they can dominate without him in the lineup already. 

Not saying it'd be an easy decision for Sakic, but neither would trading Miller for us.

I'd say Byram was a key part of their run.  It gave them a 2 pronged attack from the back end.  If it wasn't Makar on the ice, it was Byram.

Kadri was out for much of the run, so I think I'd argue Kadri is more of a luxury especially with Newhook moving up the depth chart.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

He constantly talks about how the Canucks simply aren't good enough. He was also generally critical of the Benning area when many of us were hoping and praying for the best. He essentially was right about many of Bennings moves, and then just moved on without gloating. 

I think it's hard for fans to hear that your beloved just isn't nearly good enough to compete for a cup. Drance says that with zero regards of feelings, just facts.

Drance is a complete idiot who has never played a sport in his life. He should be writing a knitting column or something.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Ryan Graves 6'5'' 220

Nikita Zadorov  6'6" 235

Scott Mayfield  6'5"  220

Ryan Polock  6'2  215

Eric Cernak   6'3"  230

Looking at the Tanya D's.  They are all over 6'2"  +200lbs.

# Sh Ht Wt Born Birthplace
24 R 6' 2" 200 Jul 15, 1990 Massena, NY, USA
81 R 6' 3" 230 May 28, 1997 Kosice, SVK
52 R 6' 4" 227 Dec 13, 1998 Denver, CO, USA
77 L 6' 6" 241 Dec 18, 1990 Ornskoldsvik, SWE
55 R 6' 5" 210 Jan 25, 1997 Moncton, NB, CAN
44 R 6' 3" 204 Jul 29, 1990 Pisek, CZE
98 L 6' 3" 216 Jun 25, 1998 Nizhnekamsk, RUS

Of those 5, two of them are LHDs.

Cernak and Pulock are not going anywhere.  They're key RHD for both the TBL and the NYI. 

That leaves Mayfield.  You value Mayfield over Marino?

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Drance is a complete idiot who has never played a sport in his life. He should be writing a knitting column or something.

Drance knows infinitely more about hockey then you and I combined ever will. I'm not a massive fan of the guy, but that's a simple fact. Personal opinions cloud objective facts.

6 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

I feel like the Avs are out of the running for Miller now. They've just won the Cup and bought themselves time to let their young guys marinate further now. I was rooting them to lose so that hopefully they'd feel pressure to make a trade but I think the ship has sailed now. 

They could still trade for Miller, but i don't see them being DESPERATE and moving one of newhook or Byram now. Getting one of those two would reek of desperation. 

Byram was playing extremely well during the STF, is young and has 5 years of team control left. They literally have no reason to trade him.  He's supposed to be their franchise pillar LHD. That's what they drafted him  for lol

Byram is LD so how would he get TOI in Van? I doubt the AV's would move him. I agree with you on how well he played in the Finals. He is a 2LD right now. Love to get him even with his injury history. 

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wish we had a Michael Russo out here. He does great work and is on a real personal level with the wild. They trust him.

Our negative nancy talking heads try to hard to cater to the crap fans. We all are educated enough to see where we gone wrong. We don't need these bafoons to sit there are repeat the same thing we all know. Over and over.

Zero respect for drance

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I call bs on 'insiders' like Dreger, LeBrun, Garrioch,  ect who claim to have exclusive knowledge of the inner workings of teams and who claim to have connections to management. 

Otoh,  I don't mind listening to other points of view regarding game to game analysis such as what Ian Mac or Juice do during intermission.   

To me there's a difference. 

Which one is this guy?

What makes you call bs on someone like LeBrun?

Drance doesn't have to be the same as Dreger or IMac, he's his own personality. Putting people in boxes/categories so they can be written off is lazy.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I call bs on 'insiders' like Dreger, LeBrun, Garrioch,  ect who claim to have exclusive knowledge of the inner workings of teams and who claim to have connections to management. 

Otoh,  I don't mind listening to other points of view regarding game to game analysis such as what Ian Mac or Juice do during intermission.   

To me there's a difference. 

Which one is this guy?

Dreger is linked to Nonis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I wish we had a Michael Russo out here. He does great work and is on a real personal level with the wild. They trust him.

Our negative nancy talking heads try to hard to cater to the crap fans. We all are educated enough to see where we gone wrong. We don't need these bafoons to sit there are repeat the same thing we all know. Over and over.

Zero respect for drance

I agree and disagree with this.

Yes, some in the media take a negative spin on things where it isn't warranted. I think the most obvious example of this is when they try to run players out of town when the team is a regular in the playoffs. We see this with other Canadian markets as well.

However, I disagree with the notion that fans are educated enough to see where we went wrong. If that was the case, fans would have wanted Benning and Green fired a year sooner. Some of us can see when bad move the instant it's made. For example I and several others received plenty of personal attacks when we criticized the Poolman signing. Or the Halak signing. Or many other of Benning's failed moves. Yet it took months/years for the rest of the fan base to realize those criticisms had merit.

People like Drance have been critical of these moves too -- so some fans didn't like that and seem to have written him off.

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What does this mean?  “The ball is in Vancouver’s court”?  Does that relate to term being the only stumbling block, and the two sides have agreed on total dollars?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What does this mean?  “The ball is in Vancouver’s court”?  Does that relate to term being the only stumbling block, and the two sides have agreed on total dollars?  

It means they buck up and give him the requested term or trade him. 

• Cheers 2

I don’t actually mind Drance (or the other Canucks Athletic people) it’s more that they attract the most toxic, negative, obnoxious fans on Twitter and the Athletic comments section.  

You see that it impacts how the write, as well. There’s always caveats and allusions to how bad things are even when the piece doesn’t call for it.  It’s annoying but it would be hard to put up with that crowd without pandering to them.

2 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Another JT Miller lite player (rumored on trading block for a while) is Tyler Bertuzzi.

Slots into the top 6, speed, skill, gritty

Also stupid as a sack of bricks and a known antivaxxer.   Let's not repeat the Harmonic debacle.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Who would Colorado give up that doesn't HURT their chances?  They won't be giving up Byram or Newhook.  Who else would they be willing to give up that moves the needle for ya, especially given a 50% retention on Miller?

If Byram and Newhook were 100% off the table, I would see them offering something like Martin Kaut, Oskar Olausson, 2023 first round pick, plus another piece. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TmanVan said:

If Byram and Newhook were 100% off the table, I would see them offering something like Martin Kaut, Oskar Olausson, 2023 first round pick, plus another piece. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Need quality back.  No Byram or Newhook, no trade.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Drance knows infinitely more about hockey then you and I combined ever will. I'm not a massive fan of the guy, but that's a simple fact. Personal opinions cloud objective facts.

Drance knows more about sports analytics but to suggest to someone you don’t know he knows more about the game than then is also a very bad take, do we even know if he’s ever played hockey, that’s why people that play the game say analytics are not a great way to judge someone because there is far to many little stats not documented that build up into making a player good that are missed because of others 

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1