The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah it would have to be 50% retained AND likely taking an equally "bad" $3m'ish contract back to make any return worthwhile.

So, if Chicago was willing to retain 50% and take back Dickinson and a 2024 2nd round pick and a conditional 2025 4th round pick (based on him performing / resigning), I would be interested in seeing if he would be an upgrade to our 3rd line center position.

Yes, I realize that we would need to make other moves to make the cap work, but we have the rest of summer to do that and we need to do that still to address RD

Just now, Coconuts said:

Cap space is better spent on players who are actually productive 

GMs will look at the player and their context. Toews in a reduced or specialized role on a better team might still be enticing for some GMs if the acquisition cost is low in comparison to JTM

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno about that, Toews at 50% is still 5.25M and I wouldn't want us paying him that. Kane would be an easy sell at 50%, unless Toews bounces back which is a tall ask at 34, I doubt he will be. Not in the current cap environment.

teams that want to make a run will have injuries, and they'll value the experience toews brings. further, listening to his comments over the last couple years makes it easy to imagine that playing for a team that's actually trying to win would revitalize him. 

Edited by tas

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Why say this publicly? Doesn't this diminish his trade value?

teams' desire to win will always outweigh perceived leverage in a bargaining position. 

the reason to say it publicly, presumably, is to let the fans know where things are at and to let them down easy. or perhaps they're making progress on a trade, and again, this is a pre-emptive statement to soften the blow. 

Edited by tas

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I know this is a JT Miller thread but..

I am wondering if Calgary makes sense as a potential destination for Toews.

A trade involving Toews and Monahan.

Just when I thought I couldn’t hate the Flames anymore. If they did that…

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

I know this is a JT Miller thread but..

I am wondering if Calgary makes sense as a potential destination for Toews.

A trade involving Toews and Monahan.

I think you'd have to move Captain Clown somewhere that he wouldn't be in a leadership position after it became public knowledge how much of a scumbag he was with the Beach report.  After unloading the turtle and the midget, I doubt Calgary is in a hurry to bring in another guy with character issues.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

GMs will look at the player and their context. Toews in a reduced or specialized role on a better team might still be enticing for some GMs if the acquisition cost is low in comparison to JTM

Perhaps, we shall see. I just question which playoff squad is going to have space for a 5.25M aging center who's production has declined. He ain't fixing Nashville's problems for one. Colorado can do better.. 

9 minutes ago, tas said:

teams that want to make a run will have injuries, and they'll value the experience toews brings. further, listening to his comments over the last couple years makes it easy to imagine that playing for a team that's actually trying to win would revitalize him. 

Experience is one thing, experience without regular season production is another. If he can bounce back he'll be moveable, if he continues to play at the level he was at last season the Hawks will have a tougher time. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

teams' desire to win will always outweigh perceived leverage in a bargaining position. 

the reason to say it publicly, presumably, is to let the fans know where things are at and to let them down easy. or perhaps they're making progress on a trade, and again, this is a pre-emptive statement to soften the blow. 

But wouldn't saying these things lower the value and thus create the need to soften the blow in the first place? 

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What possible reason is there to say this publicly?

Letting the Miller’s camp know that if there is a fair offer for the player JR will move him without warning.  No final chance to make a new contract.