The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Consider what you’ve paid EP so far for developing,.  And the fact you might lose him like any other player who has recently decided to got to a winning team.… something EP has stated.

Whereas Miller loves the city and wants to stay and contribute here.

Horvat would bring us the same or close to,  back in grade value as Miller.

Miller IS twice the player , and will play at a far better level than Horvat will ever achieve.

wut

• Cheers 3

I’m really starting to believe that the majority of these journalists and media “insiders” just scour fan message boards and then create (plagiarize) rumours for quota and clickbait.
Regardless, congrats CDC because someone is listening, hah:

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/could-the-islanders-offer-up-noah-dobson-for-j-t-miller

JUL 28, 2022

BY LYLE RICHARDSON

COULD THE ISLANDERS OFFER UP NOAH DOBSON FOR J.T. MILLER?

A rumor making the rounds during the 2022 NHL draft had the New York Islanders attempting to acquire Vancouver Canucks center J.T. Miller. Nothing came of it but that hasn't stopped speculation linking the forward to the Islanders.

A rumor making the rounds during the 2022 NHL draft had the New York Islanders attempting to acquire Vancouver Canucks center J.T. Miller. Nothing came of it but that hasn't stopped speculation linking the 29-year-old forward to the Islanders.

The Province's Ben Kuzma took note of the Islanders' ongoing search for a scoring forward. He wondered if a trade could be worked out sending Miller to Long Island with defenseman Noah Dobson coming the other way in a package deal.

Dobson, 22, is a restricted free agent coming off a 51-point breakout campaign. Kuzma suggested that performance put him in the same territory as Rasmus Dahlin. Cap Friendly shows the 23-year-old Buffalo Sabres blueliner carries a $6 million average annual value through 2023-24, earning $5.8 million in actual salary in 2022-23 and $7.2 million in 2023-24.

Kuzma suggested that type of raise for Dobson could be too expensive for the Islanders, especially with center Mathew Barzal slated to become an RFA next summer. He felt the young rearguard would bolster the right-side depth on the Canucks blueline.

Dobson would also be more affordable to sign than Miller, who carries a $5.25-million cap hit for 2022-23. Kuzma speculated an extension could cost the Canucks over $8 million annually. 

It's doubtful, however, that Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello gives up Dobson in a package deal for Miller. An affordable, short-term bridge contract is likely in the cards for the young blueliner as his lack of arbitration rights gives Lamoriello the hammer in contract talks. 

Miller might not be the only option on Lamoriello's radar to improve his offense. A recent report suggests the Isles GM could be targeting free-agent center Nazem Kadri.

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m really starting to believe that the majority of these journalists and media “insiders” just scour fan message boards and then create (plagiarize) rumours for quota and clickbait.

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/could-the-islanders-offer-up-noah-dobson-for-j-t-miller

JUL 28, 2022

BY LYLE RICHARDSON

COULD THE ISLANDERS OFFER UP NOAH DOBSON FOR J.T. MILLER?

A rumor making the rounds during the 2022 NHL draft had the New York Islanders attempting to acquire Vancouver Canucks center J.T. Miller. Nothing came of it but that hasn't stopped speculation linking the forward to the Islanders.

A rumor making the rounds during the 2022 NHL draft had the New York Islanders attempting to acquire Vancouver Canucks center J.T. Miller. Nothing came of it but that hasn't stopped speculation linking the 29-year-old forward to the Islanders.

The Province's Ben Kuzma took note of the Islanders' ongoing search for a scoring forward. He wondered if a trade could be worked out sending Miller to Long Island with defenseman Noah Dobson coming the other way in a package deal.

Dobson, 22, is a restricted free agent coming off a 51-point breakout campaign. Kuzma suggested that performance put him in the same territory as Rasmus Dahlin. Cap Friendly shows the 23-year-old Buffalo Sabres blueliner carries a $6 million average annual value through 2023-24, earning $5.8 million in actual salary in 2022-23 and $7.2 million in 2023-24.

Kuzma suggested that type of raise for Dobson could be too expensive for the Islanders, especially with center Mathew Barzal slated to become an RFA next summer. He felt the young rearguard would bolster the right-side depth on the Canucks blueline.

Dobson would also be more affordable to sign than Miller, who carries a $5.25-million cap hit for 2022-23. Kuzma speculated an extension could cost the Canucks over $8 million annually. 

It's doubtful, however, that Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello gives up Dobson in a package deal for Miller. An affordable, short-term bridge contract is likely in the cards for the young blueliner as his lack of arbitration rights gives Lamoriello the hammer in contract talks. 

Miller might not be the only option on Lamoriello's radar to improve his offense. A recent report suggests the Isles GM could be targeting free-agent center Nazem Kadri.

Kuzma's article was one of the dumbest things I ever read.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Thanks.   I like Garland.   "Maybe a 4th rounder ".... I do wonder what people are going to say about Ilya Mik after one season too.   Maybe a 6th rounder?   Hard to say.   Both the eye test and the stats put Garland right there last year...well actually he punched above his cap hit modestly.

No i don't expect him to get 80 points with first line PP minutes.   What was Burrows best season like again with the peak Sedins?    He had four years,  51, 67. 48, and 52.    This team is not that.   And Garland isn't playing with the twins either lol....Maybe we should reserve a lot of judgement, at least for awhile anyways.   Personally i thought Garland gave his most every night.  And like him for it.   Not too shabby for his first year with us at all. 

If those quotation marks are for me, it's approx. the best yardstick we have for his value (Bjorkstand) this (crazy flat cap) summer, where wingers on mid size cap hits have had very little value. I said three times, I don't think trading him would be an easy decision as he brings a lot of value to the team, especially at 5-on-5, and I completely agree he brings it every game and is heart and effort is to be extremely desired. I'm not advocating to trade Garland at all. None of the ways Allvin has to move cap space at this point are very desirable, except if he can get a fair package for JT Miller.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Pretty CDC's been skeptical on that front for years, at least as far as our local media go. I guarantee you some members here have a better understanding of the Canucks and what goes on around the league that several media pundits who write for a living.

If I worked that gig I'd scour reddit, ect too though. If the job is to get clicks feeding people what they already discuss ain't a bad way to do it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Thanks.   I like Garland.   "Maybe a 4th rounder ".... I do wonder what people are going to say about Ilya Mik after one season too.   Maybe a 6th rounder?   Hard to say.   Both the eye test and the stats put Garland right there last year...well actually he punched above his cap hit modestly.

No i don't expect him to get 80 points with first line PP minutes.   What was Burrows best season like again with the peak Sedins?    He had four years,  51, 67. 48, and 52.    This team is not that.   And Garland isn't playing with the twins either lol....Maybe we should reserve a lot of judgement, at least for awhile anyways.   Personally i thought Garland gave his most every night.  And like him for it.   Not too shabby for his first year with us at all. 

To try and clear 5M at this stage of the off-season without taking any cap back is close to impossible let alone get much of a return.

Kekaleinen just last week commenting on the Bjorkstrand trade:  'You can easily calculate the cap space available around the league and the deal had to be done.  The funny thing about cap space is that once it's gone it's gone.  You look at it league wide and you see it shrinking all the time. To wait would have been a huge risk.'

CapFriendly shows only 11 teams with more than 5M in cap space.  Of the 11 teams several have their own RFAs to sign and suffice to assume they won't have anywhere near 5M after those signings.  Some teams probably need to clear cap to fit everyone.

There are really only 5 teams who have more than 5M in cap space for this season.  Chicago and Arizona blatantly tanking for Bedard and looking to gain assets for helping out other teams.  Anaheim in a rebuild.  Detroit and Buffalo still not quite out of their own rebuild.

The pandemic has thrown the cap out of whack but RFAs are also asking to get paid earlier and are no longer willing to subsidise contracts for older players.  It has further reduced the cap around the league with players going straight to 7M-9M deals coming off their ELCs.  What were somewhat reasonable deals for mid-tiers players just 1-2 years ago is now considered overpaid because of the cap squeeze and it's not expected to get any better next off-season.

Rutherford has been saying for some time that their main objective in the off-season was to clear cap.  I doubt he thought he could trade Dickinson without adding an asset - ie they likely had other players in mind to create cap space.  It hasn't been possible with him saying they would have to give up draft picks to move contracts.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Garland isn’t as robust as Miller,  there was more than one occasion I didn’t think Garland would return , he did,  but to say that dosent take a toll on your body..

Mille will outlast Garland on this team, 

.. and I fully support trading all, or either, Garland , Boeser and Horvat to bring back more players that play like Miller on Forward or D.

We know you do.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not even remotely true and if it was, he would not net a similar return. 

So he is worth sooo much more,  is a great player….    so what happened to the declining asset argument that has everyone wanting to move him??

Do you not think another team would use that same argument in any type of return back for Miller.. ? 

The Struggle No GIF by The Runner go90

and if he goes at the trade DL ,  it’s for a flash in the pan with a team hoping to get to at least a conference championship.

After that he goes UFA.  
a complete loss to another team.

Pretty sure management wants  him here more than Bo,.   Otherwise Bo would have been signed already.

Not signing Bo before Miller is a huge indicator.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So he is worth sooo much more,  is a great player….    so what happened to the declining asset argument that has everyone wanting to move him??

Do you not think another team would use that same argument in any type of return back for Miller.. ? 

and if he goes at the trade DL ,  it’s for a flash in the pan with a team hoping to get to at least a conference championship.

After that he goes UFA.  

Pretty sure management wants  him here more than Bo,.   Otherwise Bo would have been signed already.

Doubt that at all.Bo is a leader and management wants both if they have the cap space.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

After that he goes UFA.  

Nice goal post moving. So which is it Miller is worth twice as much as Bo or can Bo fetch as much as Miller? Both cannot be true. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

After that he goes UFA.  

Just coming in some pure speculation,stay tune as we await more information 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Garland isn’t as robust as Miller,  there was more than one occasion I didn’t think Garland would return , he did,  but to say that dosent take a toll on your body..

Mille will outlast Garland on this team, 

.. and I fully support trading all, or either, Garland , Boeser and Horvat to bring back more players that play like Miller on Forward or D.

Agree in principle, but Bo's face-off percentage would have to be replaced and then some.  I've said this in a few threads and I'm sticking to it.....I'd love to see Bo on the team without being the captain.  It won't happen, but it's the only knock I have on him.  Bo is more replaceable than a current version of Miller, but overall Bo is tough to replace.

11 hours ago, JM_ said:

he's fine, but to me if we could swap out Garlands salary for Klingberg's we do that all day. 

And that's the only way we can build our prospect pool without taking a step back in our play    get young assets for a player you have and sign a Ufa.  

How many picks/ prospects could you get for miller/ garland and what if you signed Klingberg/Kadri for example? 

We want to do these things.   Shed cap. Build up the prospect. Make the playoffs. 

And do that by not taking pics for miller because it's too risky.  Can't trade Garland......heart and soul on a good contract

Well you know how much Boeser is loved. Can't trade Bo. Nobody wants OEL    nobody wants Myers.   

I guess we're looking at Miracles then. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nice goal post moving. So which is it Miller is worth twice as much as Bo or can Bo fetch as much as Miller? Both cannot be true. 

It’s not goal post moving,

Miller is worth more to us in this team, than by trading him. He is better than Horvat.

But Horvat will bring the same, or more in a return. 
Why? .. because no one is devaluing him as a declining asset, and he is highly regarded as the face of Canuck hockey.

Horvat will never touch the ceiling Miller is at, but Miller could easily only decline to give us the out put that Horvat has.… and the talk here is Miller might only be worth 1m more per year than Horvat.

Miller is worth more to US than Horvat.… 

but if posters here are looking for a high return from another team for Miller,.  Realistically, I don’t see it being more than what Horvat would bring in a trade.

So IF we’re going to trade a player from the player position of Center, why would we trade our best one ,  when we have another of equal value to another team,  but lesser to us in his position.

too many here have attachments to “birthing” draft picks as their own, and holding them forever in their hearts not wanting to move them and expecting home town discounts because of that “love”.

it’s not a knock,.  It’s just a reality..

it has been the “culture” here for quite a long time.

This is Millers 3rd of 4th season with us,.  and has been dynamically grown into a superb player and leader with this team.

He has openly said he is grateful for the opportunities he has been given to become the best he can.

I just think this city and Fanbase should be as proud of Miller being, and continuing being a Canuck as can be for other “drafted” players for all the wrong reasons.

Miller would not have excelled here unless he enjoys being here..   think about how an extension, and fan appreciation here in Vancouver will have him react.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It’s not goal post moving,

Miller is worth more to us in this team, than by trading him. He is better than Horvat.

But Horvat will bring the same, or more in a return. 
Why? .. because no one is devaluing him as a declining asset, and he is highly regarded as the face of Canuck hockey.

Horvat will never touch the ceiling Miller is at, but Miller could easily only decline to give us the out put that Horvat has.… and the talk here is Miller might only be worth 1m more per year than Horvat.

Miller is worth more to US than Horvat.… 

but if posters here are looking for a high return from another team for Miller,.  Realistically, I don’t see it being more than what Horvat would bring in a trade.

So IF we’re going to trade a player from the player position of Center, why would we trade our best one ,  when we have another of equal value to another team,  but lesser to us in his position.

too many here have attachments to “birthing” draft picks as their own, and holding them forever in their hearts not wanting to move them and expecting home town discounts because of that “love”.

it’s not a knock,.  It’s just a reality..

it has been the “culture” here for quite a long time.

This is Millers 3rd of 4th season with us,.  and has been dynamically grown into a superb player and leader with this team.

He has openly said he is grateful for the opportunities he has been given to become the best he can.

I just think this city and Fanbase should be as proud of Miller being, and continuing being a Canuck as can be for other “drafted” players for all the wrong reasons.

Miller would not have excelled here unless he enjoys being here..   think about how an extension, and fan appreciation here in Vancouver will have him react.

Miller’s a good player. But I still think we need to trade him to round out the roster, especially the defense. 

I think there’s a good reason for why Kadri hasn’t signed yet. He might be asking astronomical price for his services, and no team has decided to bite that bullet yet. Kadri might not even get the deal that he wants, which might set up the Canucks for Miller. 

• Cheers 2