The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

not every UFA situation is a disaster tho. In general sure you want to retain some assets if possible, but every year guys walk to UFA and teams don't collapse. If the best part of a deal is a late 1st I just don't care. 

We aren’t strong enough in any position in this franchise to not get even a late first. Tough to build anything if we don’t start developing players so we can save on the cap and be able to trade from a position of strength. 
Jb failed to acquire futures with pending ufas almost the entire time he was here look where it got us. An Empty farm and over paying older  ufas. 
keeping/losing  a player with a real chance to win a cup is a lot different than keeping/losing a player to get through 1 round hopefully. 

Guys walk to free agency every year is true but how many were traded as rentals first how many were on teams that had legit chances to win a cup or did win the cup and others teams have replacements for the guys lost in there system we don’t. 

we should be in a lot better position depth wise with how terrible this team has been but we aren’t we can’t lose to talent for nothing weathers it’s horvat EP boeser miller it would hurt this club

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Yeah, thats what I'm getting at. Management is playing it cool, might not have to sell the farm to improve your RHD afterall.  This is what Allvin was talking about finding difference makers.  1:45 Allvin talks says "In order to be good we have to find difference makers through free agency"  eccentially.  This management group is putting the Benning regime to shame. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/all-access-draft-and-camp/t-277437438/c-12336605  1

Still some interesting D men out there that might be good enough to be a stop gap for a season until we can find the right trade or free up some cap space for next offseason.

Stralman, De Haan, Murray, and even Subban would all give us insurance if Ratbone isn’t ready, if injuries hit, or if the current mix just doesn’t work.

I think Stralman makes the most sense. There’s the Swedish factor, former teammate of Miller and OEL, and he’s a veteran that would likely accept a certain role.

Next would be Subban if they wanted to go bolder. He definitely brings some swagger and could probably still put up good points in the right role. He did play his best years in Canada under the spotlight too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What about the 4 guys we've signed in UFA already as well?

Decent signings, going to make the winger battle very intense.

Need to decide, if Miller is staying and  if he's going to be mostly a center, or winger.

Pearson should be concerned, JR has traded the guy twice already, and the team is now majorly deep in left wingers.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

you really can't compare huberdeau and miller. huberdeau was well over a point per game for 4 straight years (1.21 average, 99 per 82 gp), miller wasn't. over those same 4 years miller had 0.95 points per game, 78 per 82. 

Yes but Miller is a center and Huberdeau is a pure winger. Center is the far more valuable postion. Of the top 15 highest paid players in the NHL currently, only 3 are wingers compared to 8 centers. 

And management has made it very clear that Miller is a center in their eyes so he gets the prime position pay bump.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I disagree, you can see the frustration in Bo in the annual year end, missed the playoffs again, media availability. Why the heck would Bo re-sign here, knowing mgmt wasn't doing all it could to keep moving the team forward.

Step back is fine for fantasy hockey, but I doubt it sits well with players. 

I think they're still a playoff team without miller.  If they could get newhook and Girard from the Avs, I think they'd be better

• Cheers 3

Is it just me or is our current magagement group putting our previous management group to shame on every level?  When Benning talked to the press and shoulder shrugged his was through media pressers he never once gave me any feeling he knew what he was doing or instilled any level of confidence.  Allvin is highlighting just how woefully incompetent Benning was as GM.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they're still a playoff team without miller.  If they could get newhook and Girard from the Avs, I think they'd be better

Girard is a hell of a player but can we really go Hughes, Girard, Rathbone down the left side?

We’re just getting farther away from a team that can compete in the playoffs. Skating matters for sure, but size is still a factor. And that’s just too small of a D core.

Newhook is also 5’10” so that just makes us even smaller and easier to play against. All of a sudden we’re the Montreal Smurf team that we always made fun of. 

Edited by DeNiro

10 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yes but Miller is a center and Huberdeau is a pure winger. Center is the far more valuable postion. Of the top 15 highest paid players in the NHL currently, only 3 are wingers compared to 8 centers. 

And management has made it very clear that Miller is a center in their eyes so he gets the prime position pay bump.

when did management make it clear that they view him as a center? he's played the majority of his career as a winger. 

Has anyone looked at the available UFA's next summer?  By age...

Joanthan Toews - 35

Patrick Kane - 34

Max Pacioretty - 34

Ryan O'Reilly - 32

Vladimir Tarasenko - 31

JT Miller - 29

Tyler Bertuzzi - 28

Nathan MacKinnon - 27

David Pastrnak - 27

Bo Horvat - 27

Dylan Larkin - 26

We all know MacKinnon is re-signing with Colorado.  Same with Larkin with Detroit.  Pastrnak will be offered a huge deal to stay in Boston.  That's pretty much it.  The other guys are all past their primes and into their 30's and the rest are not even close to Miller.

So Miller is going to have several teams interested in his services.  I actually don't think Miller is worried at all.  He will get paid regardless who he signs with.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Very few posters that want to keep Miller hardly ever post what they think Miller should re-sign for ($$ x yrs).  They just say pay the man.

So to those who want to keep Miller, what would the offer be that Miller would accept and not handicap the team?

Just now, BPA said:

Very few posters that want to keep Miller hardly ever post what they think Miller should re-sign for ($$ x yrs).  They just say pay the man.

So to those who want to keep Miller, what would the offer be that Miller would accept and not handicap the team?

I’ve said many times that 8.5 mil over 6 years is more than fair based on comparables.

And even that contract is likely to look bad at year 3.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tas said:

when did management make it clear that they view him as a center? he's played the majority of his career as a winger. 

How about him playing center for the last 2 seasons. Or that the only person to take more faceoffs than JT since his arrival in Van is Bo.

15 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Is it just me or is our current magagement group putting our previous management group to shame on every level?  When Benning talked to the press and shoulder shrugged his was through media pressers he never once gave me any feeling he knew what he was doing or instilled any level of confidence.  Allvin is highlighting just how woefully incompetent Benning was as GM.  

It seems obvious but apparently some people lived in a fairy tale land where we completely turn around the team in a matter of months.  It doesn’t even seem to matter that JR has said many times that it would take 2-3 years.  That fact almost seems to annoy people.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The thing I like about Boudreau is he's not afraid to try new things like Green was.  He puts EP40 on the PK, why not?  I think a lot of the Canucks problems would be solved if he moved Hughes on the Right side.  He's an elite defenceman and he's talented enough, I'd like them to at least try it out and see how he looks for a few games.  

OEL - Hughes

Rathbone - Myers

Durmott - Schenn

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Has anyone looked at the available UFA's next summer?  By age...

Joanthan Toews - 35

Patrick Kane - 34

Max Pacioretty - 34

Ryan O'Reilly - 32

Vladimir Tarasenko - 31

JT Miller - 29

Tyler Bertuzzi - 28

Nathan MacKinnon - 27

David Pastrnak - 27

Bo Horvat - 27

Dylan Larkin - 26

We all know MacKinnon is re-signing with Colorado.  Same with Larkin with Detroit.  Pastrnak will be offered a huge deal to stay in Boston.  That's pretty much it.  The other guys are all past their primes and into their 30's and the rest are not even close to Miller.

So Miller is going to have several teams interested in his services.  I actually don't think Miller is worried at all.  He will get paid regardless who he signs with.

That's probably why JR and PA arent stressing too much.  They know what they have.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Why's that Alf?

Not meaning to speak for Alf but I understand that position.  If we’re not all overexcited about a potential playoff run then it makes the “difficult decisions” more palatable.