The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'd sign him 8x8.  

Miller is a PPG all situation top line C for 3 years, who is a leader on the team, we get a great deal for those ones.

Next 2-3 he is a solid #2, putting up 60-80 points while playing all situations, we get fair value at $8 mil.

Last 2-3 years he is a quality complimentary piece, over paid by 2-3 million.  In 6-7 years time, the cap will be way up, we will have had an elite player with us through his prime, so I'm OK with paying at the end.  As long as we don't have multiple bad deals, 2-3 million is not unmanageable.  (we have what 7-8+ in bad money now)

We will have, in my opinion, a top 3-5 forward group in the league.  top 5-10 goaltending, and a weaker D.  When the right deal comes along, move a forward for a D and fix that issue.  As it stands right now, we should be a playoff team, and in the division we are in, wining a round or two is realistic.

Average aging curves say much different.

He has only one year left on this contract, and he will already be 31 by the time the first year of his next contract is over.

Year 1-2  (when he turns 32 and 33) a team should expect him to keep about the same production average as the last three seasons with maybe a slight drop off.

Year 3-4 (34 and 35) he is likely a 50-60 point player IF all goes well.

Year 5-6 (36-37) he is likely a replacement level or below player getting 20-40points and worth $2-3 million a year.  At that age almost every player drops off a cliff in terms of production.

Years 7-8 (age 38 and 39) he is a league minimum player at best and just kept on for “intangibles” like Jumbo Joe.

Nobody would argue a 2-5 year contract for Miller.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

Lol it should be locked until something of substance actually happens.  Just make a new thread.  1130 pages is insane!  Reminds of that “burrows do we really need him thread”

Yeah this must be so bad for the environment. 1130 pages wasted. I feel guilt. :(

• Haha 2

This thread is getting boring because we’re all waiting for something to happen, but nothing is happening. 

And then nothing else is happening in the other threads either. 

I’m just craving for some Canuck news at this point. Anything. Anything

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/12/2022 at 7:41 AM, aGENT said:

Technically Miller confirmed in that interview that they're "not close" and he "respects their vision" AKA: probably getting traded.

Then trade him already. LOL. 

And when is Kadri going to sign? Holy cow that guy is taking forever. 

Wonder if Ducks (former Whalers/GM Verbeek), Canucks and another Eastern team would do a 3 way deal.

One player who plays with a little grit, skates, shoots and even has the build of JT Miller is Mason MacTavish...he's NHL ready and would slot into the top 6 instantly.

After watching Miller on the recent podcast and hearing him say how surprised he is as well that he reached 99 points, it seems to me like Miller knows it very well could have been a dream season for him but that it's not something sustainable; this makes me predict the following:

Miller isn't expecting to get paid as much as some people think and will end up signing with us; it's just that his agent is playing a little brinksmanship to squeeze out as much as he can. 

7 years at 8.25

I'd be happy with this. Then see how this season goes with our backend with OEL on the right side, assess things throughout the season, and try to make a trade via someone other than Miller to fix the backend, if need be. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I can't voluntarily listen to Sekeres, anything new here? 

I broke down. Absolutely nada except him suggesting JT's superb  professionalism may make Vancouver appreciate him more ... but also confirmed he said they were miles apart. I have to commend JT though as he says he's been a supreme pro the whole way.

Sekeras sounded extra slimy though. I think he might have been emerging from something during the broadcast.

Oh yeah also suggested the next trade point will be this week when the next buyout window opens. Kadri probably gets done this week as well.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Wonder if Ducks (former Whalers/GM Verbeek), Canucks and another Eastern team would do a 3 way deal.

One player who plays with a little grit, skates, shoots and even has the build of JT Miller is Mason MacTavish...he's NHL ready and would slot into the top 6 instantly.

Meme Lol GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

Happy Bear Grylls GIF by NBC

OMG this is so hilarious you can't be serious. MacTavish might be the best young player in the league.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I broke down. Absolutely nada except him suggesting JT's superb  professionalism may make Vancouver appreciate him more ... but also confirmed he said they were miles apart. I have to commend JT though as he says he's been a supreme pro the whole way.

Sekeras sounded extra slimy though. I think he might have been emerging from something during the broadcast.

Oh yeah also suggested the next trade point will be this week when the next buyout window opens. Kadri probably gets done this week as well.

Sekeres says they're miles apart, but Miller says (closely paraphrasing) "we're not close enough." To me, this says that they're not too far off but rather just not there yet whereas Sekeres is doing his typical hyperbolic schtick. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1