The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I laugh at these posters who say they should keep miller because they think the team will be contenders and in the same breath say the team will crash if miller is moved.  If they're that reliant on one player then they're nowhere near contender status 

Completely agree.  I think they label everyone as Miller haters, where in fact I don't think there is one poster on here that doesn't like Miller.  It's doing what is needed to move this organization ahead.  My favorite is also Miller being a 100 point player.  He hasn't trended anywhere near that in the past and then puts up an impressive 99 point year.  He's a 70 point player (Which is valuable) but he won't exceed the contract he will be given.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He’s not pushing Horvat or Petey out of the top 6 so where do you propose he plays?

Matthew highmore is a bottom 6 role player.  Connor McMichael is a cost controlled former first round prospect who will give them three formidable cebtrea on a season or two and will make one of hirvat or Petey expendable down the road

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Guys relax. Let Jim execute his plan.

The plan:

Wake from nap

Finish evaluating the team

Hire more execs

Take another nap 

Where does "sign another European overage prospect" fit on the list?

21 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I am confident that this will happen today.  We can't keep Miller to the TDL because our team is good enough to be in contention for the playoffs, so how do you rip a key piece out at that time and keep the team engaged.  It will happen today.

Yup.  That’s exactly how to rip the heart out of a club.  Miller cannot be on our team and not extended.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Literally the person you're talking to. 

I don't hate miller, at all.  There's things about his game and his personality that frustrate me, but I think he's an elite player who plays the game hard.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, combover said:

A tale of two jims

Panic 

Buy sell buy buy buy 

Forget to sell

what, huh 

how’d everyone get in my room ?

Deer in headlights interview 

Benning vs sleepy Jim 

Edit:

"Dim" "Jim" autos to Benning 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Matthew highmore is a bottom 6 role player.  Connor McMichael is a cost controlled former first round prospect who will give them three formidable cebtrea on a season or two and will make one of hirvat or Petey expendable down the road

He'll also play any role you ask him to without complaining.  Really high character kid.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Literally the person you're talking to. 

I think the vast majority of people like Miller, but are in the camp of the longer term play by getting organization depth (Me and 50%) vs we are ready so we need to secure our star player (The other 50%).  I think Miller is a very good player, but classifying him as a franchise type player is a bit of a stretch.  We need to meet our organizational needs while his value is highest.

• Cheers 2

So, here's my take on this....

Miller is 90 - 100 point guy now and probably for about another 3 ish years.

I'm completely good with keeping him if we could do a contract that was around 8 million for 4, maybe 5 years.

If we can't get to that rate in contract, but we can trade him for a solid, young RD, who can partner with Hughes for a LONG time, as well as a solid, young middle 6C who can generate 50 - 60 points per year for the next 10...ish years, plus a 1st round pick, we're probably in a better position to trade him to someone who's window is open for the next 2 - 5 years.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think the vast majority of people like Miller, but are in the camp of the longer term play by getting organization depth (Me and 50%) vs we are ready so we need to secure our star player (The other 50%).  I think Miller is a very good player, but classifying him as a franchise type player is a bit of a stretch.  We need to meet our organizational needs while his value is highest.

Not being impatient and supporting our management is apparently a bad thing.

Just now, stawns said:

I don't hate miller, at all.  There's things about his game and his personality that frustrate me, but I think he's an elite player who plays the game hard.

Not to derail the thread, or suggest that anyone believing we should move on from Miller = hate (the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to trend towards that mindset myself), but it really seems like you've had it out for Miller for a while imo. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EB43 said:

Start to feel like we got another gm afraid to pull the trigger, commence panic mode. 

Well to be honest if I am Bettman from now on no deals can be leaked. I want the drama.

If a deal is leaked you get a $50,000 fine.

ummmm.....PK Subban......yea ummmmm

Edited by Chris12345

12 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Not even close to the same.  If you gain some higher end talent in your org who is NHL or near NHL ready and also leverage the cap space for the biggest need, the team will see that in a positive light even if they miss Miller himself.  If the team is right in contention and then you take Miller out via trade as they have invested them in the season, you lose the room really quickly.  Major difference in the two.  Only exception would be if we are way out of it by the trade deadline which I would guess will not be the case.

except that this team is an empty husk without miller, regardless of the pieces they add. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Darius said:

Everyone talking NY and WASH

How about other teams looking to take the next step that have an immediate window...FLA, MIN, CAR......they got some good pieces too. 

Even a couple teams that may be desperate for playoff revenue, I think dont think Columbus or NJ has a chance to make the playoffs without Miller, Metro division is stacked. 

• Cheers 1