The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Miller has been one of the most offensive productive centers in the league this season which is saying a lot considering he's been playing with Petey and Brock for the most part who have been snake-bitten/unlucky/crap.

That being said, despite being a big body, in his prime and over a point per game, he's been pretty sloppy defensively and lead to some bad scoring chances/goals against. A team with structure like Minny or just about any playoff-bound team would probably pull him back a bit, drop his scoring but make him a more well-rounded forward (which really is what Green needs to do to this team).

If we're trading him I'd firstly like to think it's well out of our division if not conference. Ironically, NYR could use some scoring on the top line, even Boston could, and they do have a stack of prospects. Ideally we'd get a young player 20-25yo back with a 1st round pick (knowing it'll be a late 1st).

I think he wants out and do you blame him he watched his former team win 2 in a row while playing for that god awful system that’s getting them nowhere.

No thx I rather wait for the TDL when more team opens up to push for the playoff or a team loses a key player and get desperate. Don't see why Fiala would even consider re-signing long term with this organization and not just take the 1 year arbitration and walk to ufa. If we can't afford to keep Miller what makes us think we can afford to trade Miller and keep the core + Fiala?

People need to lose the idea they are going to "rebuild", they're not.  They might get a pick or decent prospect as a throw in, but they'll be trading for players either in their prime or just getting there.  They have the assets, now, to make moves to change their roster now, not in the future 

We should be thinking about the Avs and how once they got to this point, they moved their best player at the time and it helped pushed them over the hump.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Really depends on the direction for rest of the season per Aquilini... 

If we still wanna fight for playoffs, then we trade with a team that struggles just as bad like Montreal to do a blockbuster shake-up to help right the ship now!! 

If we are going for rebuild AGAIN, then we will trade with a contender to get top prospects nd high picks....  There is no more vagueness to it...  Let's hope JB can out-GM someone!! 

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

If we still wanna fight for playoffs, then we trade with a team that struggles just as bad like Montreal to do a blockbuster shake-up to help right the ship now!! 

If we are going for rebuild AGAIN, then we will trade with a contender to get top prospects nd high picks....  There is no more vagueness to it...  Let's hope JB can out-GM someone!! 

If the owner is wanting us to try and make the playoffs we do 1 thing, fire the coach and hope for the best. You don't trade your leading scorer if you want to try and make the playoffs...The GM is above all in with the team, traded tons of 1sts, let the coach make boneheaded personnel decisions to during pre season and signed of on the waived players, it is just a mess under the current coach and GM, both need to go. We have 0 pk players, poor ass C depth due to the current GMs decisions...

1 hour ago, stawns said:

People need to lose the idea they are going to "rebuild", they're not.  They might get a pick or decent prospect as a throw in, but they'll be trading for players either in their prime or just getting there.  They have the assets, now, to make moves to change their roster now, not in the future 

We should be thinking about the Avs and how once they got to this point, they moved their best player at the time and it helped pushed them over the hump.  

Yeah all this talk of 'starting a new rebuild' is pretty silly. 

We may 'reload' like your Avs/Duchenne example by moving out one... maybe two of Miller, Boeser or Horvat in the next year or so but this isn't getting torn down to the bones for picks and prospects and starting from scratch.

I'm hoping we see a forward +/- for a RD +/- personally. Something along the lines of Miller + Poolman for Dobson + one of Pageau/Cizikas +/- 

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Miller is the better all around player takes faceoffs kills penalties and runs on the pp this to me is a garbage trade and personally i dont want to see millsy go 

I think Miller being moved is a foregone conclusion, it's just a matter of when, but you make a good point about being an important guy on the draw and PK.  I suspect other moves would be made.

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

Kuzma seems to be speculating it could be Fiala and Greenway in the deal... tbh I'd do that. Greenway under the right coach could be a beast and we need some bigger bodies.

Interesting article, Kuzma is speaking like he actually knows something. Benning has used him before to float trial balloons in the media too.

Unfortunately, Green is still our coach though.

47 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

JB is desperate and already has one foot out the door. Teams are aware of this. JB has had 8 years to assemble a respectable team and by no means should be given any sort of leeway to make a desperate move in the 11th hour with his best players. Those moves should be made from a new leadership group after a thorough evaluation into what changes are needed to make this hockey team successful. 

• Like 1

6 goalposts in the last game against the goalie with the third most career wins in the NHL. Two blowouts in the early season, but mostly one goal losses. They're in every game, but, lets fire the GM, coach and trade all of our top young players. Right? Miller to me should be the guy looking in the mirror, he's become the turnover king this season. The rest, Boeser, EP, QH, and Horvat should be here for the long run.

Edited by johngould21
  • Vintage 2

1. Hire a respected and experienced PoHO. Rutherford or Lombardi are good guys to talk to.

2. PoHO fires Benning and Weisbrod and takes over as interim GM. Starts an expansive search for the right long term GM. Jeff Gorton is a good guy to talk to.

3. Fires any coach not named Shaw or Clark. Makes Shaw interim coach and hires experienced assistants. Maybe even former head coaches who want an in to get back into head coaching with something to prove. Don’t trade any big name players until they have had time under a new system and coaching. 

4. Lets the new long term GM decide on his long term coach hire and evaluate how to move the roster forward. 

Anything other than this is a long term mistake for the organization. 

• Upvote 1