The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Three big issues with waiting to the 2023 TDL to trade Miller.  He could be injured, so no return.  Trading him would not send a good message to a group that has fought hard all season.  And our owner might say no to a Miller Trade because of potential down the stretch and playoff revenues.  Very risky.  

Sure it is. But for all the doom and gloom preaching on this topic that destinations are drying up…yeah, they are right now. The market is not finite, opportunities will arise. He could be traded at the start of season or anytime up to the deadline.

For any of us to assume we now what is being offered, when, by whom, etc etc, is totally redundant because it’s all hearsay. Critiquing or becoming so frustrated with mgmt for not making a move when none of us are privy to what the actual F is going on is really just fans having a self-aggrandizing tantrum. It’s childish and unrealistic.

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Luckily the new management team seem to recognize the importance of Miller to this organization and, equally as important,  don't seem phased by either the fan-base nor the media curfuffle surrounding his status.

I don't get it. I mean, there's 870 pages of helpful, freely offered, crowd-sourced advice right here. Why wouldn't they take it?

Now, not listening to the media, I totally get . . . 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Sure it is. But for all the doom and gloom preaching on this topic that destinations are drying up…yeah, they are right now. The market is not finite, opportunities will arise. He could be traded at the start of season or anytime up to the deadline.

For any of us to assume we now what is being offered, when, by whom, etc etc, is totally redundant because it’s all hearsay. Critiquing or becoming so frustrated with mgmt for not making a move when none of us are privy to what the actual F is going on is really just fans having a self-aggrandizing tantrum. It’s childish and unrealistic.

We might not be able to trade Miller a5 the 2023 TDL.  He might be injured.  But (IMHAO) more likely we are fighting for a playoff spot and our owner won’t allow it.  Remember two weeks before the 2022 TDL Miller was taken off the market.  I think that was our owner seeing the team playing better and wanting to get revenue from the playoff stretch.  Why would t he do the same at the 2023 TDL?  

Why would anyone want to trade anything decent for him?

If he is building a home in Pittsburgh to raise his fam, would that mean only Pits is a real trade partner?

If so, it massively reduces the return. It also would reduce what the Pens would need to offer to sign him.

If I am JT, I am trying to pour cold water on the idea of going home. His bank account might thank him. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Miller is looking more and more like a 2023 TDL rental.  Very risky having h8m on our team during the season.  

I think if we start the season with Miller on the roster, that's a great outcome. It means we've made other moves to accommodate his salary within our cap, and his current salary is value for money--a steal, in fact. Setting aside the question of asset management, can you argue we're more competitive this year with Miller playing somewhere else?   

1 minute ago, Goalie Interference said:

I think if we start the season with Miller on the roster, that's a great outcome. It means we've made other moves to accommodate his salary within our cap, and his current salary is value for money--a steal, in fact. Setting aside the question of asset management, can you argue we're more competitive this year with Miller playing somewhere else?   

That means we made no more move. We are already cap compliant as is. 

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Why would anyone want to trade anything decent for him?

If he is building a home in Pittsburgh to raise his fam, would that mean only Pits is a real trade partner?

If so, it massively reduces the return. It also would reduce what the Pens would need to offer to sign him.

If I am JT, I am trying to pour cold water on the idea of going home. His bank account might thank him. 

Pittsburgh themselves are in a very small window of possible contention. If they had a younger core, it would make sense to simply wait out the year and try and sign him as a UFA, but with their core being the age it is, writing off a season where they could possibly contend would eat away at that window even more. That's why I believe that there's still a chance they'll pony up and that, if Miller is moved, it'll probably be to the Pens.

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, RWJC said:

Maybe. PIT could absolutely use his services during the reg season to rest EM and even Sid a bit.

If they don’t get him and it goes to TDL, provided the circumstance works out, he could be a thorn in PIT’s side come playoffs if we sold him off to their competition as a rental.

given the money and term Hextall just provided to the 4 signings, it would be a risk for them to hold off and try to acquire JTM later when there could be many more suitors. It’s in PIT’s best interest all around to try and pick him up now, imho 

I hope you're right. If we get a rhd and a 1st for Miller, and a second for Myers and Hogs, we go to next year’s draft with 2 1sts and 2 seconds to bulk up our prospect pool. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Don’t you think by now though Stawns that if there was a trade offered that made sense they would have already accepted it?

as last resort, his value may fluctuate but at TDL it will be back up regardless. He’s proven, he’s dirt cheap for what he brings, and he’s an upcoming UFA. It’s a perfect recipe for some teams. May even see the Rags come back to us again at that time.

remember this:

The Anaheim Ducks pulled off a whopper on Saturday, trading defensemen Hampus Lindholm and Kodie Curran to Boston for defenseman Urho Vaakanainen, defenseman John Moore, a 2022 first-round draft pick, a 2023 second-round draft pick and a 2024 second-round draft pick. The Ducks also retained 50% of Lindholm's salary.

Stop with the logic! No player has ever been traded at the TDL!

I could understand the argument of we don't WANT to go that route simply due to our toxic media. Every other reason I'm seeing is baseless fear mongering over the dreaded What iffffff 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Could even take Kapanen out of it imo.

Or else we move another winger somewhere else.

I think they need to send the cap back, and if it's Miller, I'm not taking a "dump" guy from their roster. At least with Kapenen we get youth, speed, PK ability and there's still some upside there.

Imagine the speed of him and Mik on a 3rd line...*drool*

Yeah, we'd probably need to stop move a Pearson or Garland.

I'd love to see Garland for a 3C. Probably take a bit of a hit on offense but...

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think they need to send the cap back, and if it's Miller, I'm not taking a "dump" guy from their roster. At least with Kapenen we get youth, speed, PK ability and there's still some upside there.

I'd love to see Garland for a 3C. Probably take a bit of a hit on offense but...

Although we need big upgrades on the right side, Having 12 NHL forwards for once would make our D not look soo "Bad". How many years now have we seen atleast 4/6 bottom six guys pure AHL talent

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Miller is looking more and more like a 2023 TDL rental.  Very risky having h8m on our team during the season.  

Yeah it sucks!

Hopefully Management can load up on draft capital at the trade deadline. Only way they're getting rid of some contracts and possibly retaining money too.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A nice target for 3C could be Faska but Dallas likes him a lot I’ve heard. Solid two-way player but not really offensive. They could be interested in Myers since they missed out on Burns but probably not at his full cap hit. They have a couple big RFAs they need to re-sign. Faska is like 3.25M for 3 years. 

Just now, AC Readership said:

Yeah it sucks!

Hopefully Management can load up on draft capital at the trade deadline. Only way they're getting rid of some contracts and possibly retaining money too.

Probably the best thing for this team next year is for it to crap the bed.

Someone go tell Demko to take it easy next year. 

24 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Although we need big upgrades on the right side, Having 12 NHL forwards for once would make our D not look soo "Bad". How many years now have we seen atleast 4/6 bottom six guys pure AHL talent

Agreed. Was thinking that today. Maybe with a better forward group we stay out of our end more. Play more in the offensive zone with better puck possession. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

I think it's going to boil down to these teams if there's ANY interest left OR Canucks keep a value and lock him in for a 6 year term

New Jersey

Columbus (have prospects to trade)

Philly

Pittsburgh

I have to think Philly is going to do something desperate to avoid coming back with another horrid season...(didn't Torts have Miller in NYR too?)

To Vancouver: Konency, Sanheim, JVR (cap dump), Gauthier (Miller-lite propsect) and a conditional pick

To Philly: Miller, Myers (no retainer), DiPietro and a pick

Edited by BureBurrito

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Probably the best thing for this team next year is for it to crap the bed.

Someone go tell Demko to take it easy next year. 

That honestly would be the best for the organization going forward.

Management found out that their overhaul of the roster is going to take longer & harder than was they expected.

Biggest needs are to get the bad contracts of the books and rebuilding the prospect pool.