The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Dobson is as untouchable for them as Hughes is for us.

Yeah, I dunno why people keep bringing him up as a potential target, the Isles ain't moving him and they'll match offer sheets. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol so all of a sudden when it comes to contract comparison Miller is inferior even though he is a center kills PK etc etc.. and Gaudreau somehow is a franchise player when his stats are partially inflated by his 2 equally elite linemate in tkatchuk and lindholm both just happens to have 40+ goals each themselves?.. if there's a franchise player on the flames.. it's Matthew Tkatchuk and not Gaudreau.. not even close.. he's only on the hart trophy ranking coz they have to pick 5 ppl.. it's really matthew mcdavid shesterkin and whoever else left that finish near the top in points... even huberdeau got 10 more 1st place votes than gaudreau even josi have more 1st place vote than gaudreau lol

Gaudreau was 4th in Hart voting in 18-19, Tkachuk played on the Flames then too. If Tkachuk was the driver why hasn't he gotten Hart votes in the same timeframe that Johnny finished 4th twice???

Since Miller joined the Canucks Gaudreau is 8th in even strength points while Miller is 20th. Miller brings other valuable things but isn't an offensive driver at the same level as Gaudreau, its not a knock, Johnny is one of the best offensive wingers in the league. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Gaudreau was 4th in Hart voting in 18-19, Tkachuk played on the Flames then too. If Tkachuk was the driver why hasn't he gotten Hart votes in the same timeframe that Johnny finished 4th twice???

Since Miller joined the Canucks Gaudreau is 8th in even strength points while Miller is 20th. Miller brings other valuable things but isn't an offensive driver at the same level as Gaudreau, its not a knock, Johnny is one of the best offensive wingers in the league. 

because hart trophy criteria for the clueless voters is literally points? just like norris trophy at times went to the best offensive defenseman rather than the best overall defenseman? MT was a 2nd liner in 2018-19 he was driving his own line. all 3 players on the flames top line lindholm tkachuk and gaudreau are all capable of driving the line themselves.. their last 3 seasons EV stats are almost identical with only this season being the exception where gaudreau have more assist than the other 2.

last 3 seasons both MT and EL have more even strength goals than gaudreau easier to get points as a playmaker when u have 2 linemates that scores 40+

no one said Miller is an offensive playdriver like Gaudreau? but his intangible and versatility alone is worth something. you can't just say well gaudreau is a superior playdriver therefore he's worth 9.75.. and when it comes to Miller well he got 12 less points he's not a playdriver like gaudreau.. therefore he should get no where close even and discount everything else he brings + playing in the premium position.. good face off guy.. good PK guy.. can get u 90-100 points.. but he's way inferior to gaudreau because he's not as good a playdriver so therefore he isn't worth anything close to gaudreau?

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Considering that NYI just obtained Romanov, I say that opens the window for us to ask for Dobson and either Raty or a 2023 1st for Miller!

They were looking for a D to play to play with Dobson - he's a core player for them and they are obviously not trading him.

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

because hart trophy criteria for the clueless voters is literally points? just like norris trophy at times went to the best offensive defenseman rather than the best overall defenseman? MT was a 2nd liner in 2018-19 he was driving his own line. all 3 players on the flames top line lindholm tkachuk and gaudreau are all capable of driving the line themselves.. their last 3 seasons EV stats are almost identical with only this season being the exception where gaudreau have more assist than the other 2.

If Lindholm was capable of driving offense at a Hart contending level like Gaudreau, Carolina would've never traded him.

last 3 seasons both MT and EL have more even strength goals than gaudreau easier to get points as a playmaker when u have 2 linemates that scores 40+

And before coming to CGY (and Gaudreau) Lindholm's career high was 17 goals.

We'll see what he does next year without Johnny, I'm willing to bet its not 40. 

no one said Miller is an offensive playdriver like Gaudreau? but his intangible and versatility alone is worth something. you can't just say well gaudreau is a superior playdriver therefore he's worth 9.75.. and when it comes to Miller well he got 12 less points he's not a playdriver like gaudreau.. therefore he should get no where close even and discount everything else he brings + playing in the premium position.. good face off guy.. good PK guy.. can get u 90-100 points.. but he's way inferior to gaudreau because he's not as good a playdriver so therefore he isn't worth anything close to gaudreau?

Yes? I agree?.. ???

He does't drive offense like Gaudreau, as Johnny is one of the best offensive wingers in hockey. Miller brings alot of other elements but so does Thomas, so does Hertl, and we'll see where Kadri comes in.

Miller is a low 1st line caliber player thats incredibly versatile but going into his 30's with a relatively short sample size of producing at that level. I think 8.5 is high end for Miller while Johnny left money on the table signing for 9.75. 

Not trying to knock Miller, he's a great player & I'd happily welcome him back, but Johnny is an incredible offensive player. 

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If we can get 60 more goals out of this roster next season it would put us at the top of the conference in scoring which would surely mean we’re a playoff team.

If we can get 20 each from Kuzmneko and Mikayev, a bit of a bump from Boeser, Pearson, Hughes, Hoglander, Dickinson and Podkolzin and the rest of the roster scores at about the same pace that would put us around the 310 goal mark.

For comparison that’s the same clip that the Avs scored at. We had almost identical goals against too.

I don’t know about you guys but I want the season to start now!

Little nervous because our defence only difference is Rathbone.

Our back up goalie as well I hope Martin can continue his play 

and I’m nervous for miller situation and the narrative of it if he plays without an extension and losing him at end of the year for nothing 

10 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Although we need big upgrades on the right side, Having 12 NHL forwards for once would make our D not look soo "Bad". How many years now have we seen atleast 4/6 bottom six guys pure AHL talent

Don't forget 'AHL' defensemen and even minor league tenders.

If a deal with Pittsburgh is in the cards, I'd want Blueger involved. I know the cap situation is pretty tricky for both teams, but if we could land Blueger and Marino + their 1st in a Miller trade, I'd be a happy camper. Move Pearson for the best pick we have and maybe try and attach Rathbone to Poolman to try and get rid of that contract, maybe attach Dickinson with some retention to give Pittsburgh a budget option for a Blueger replacement.

Hoglander Pettersson Garland

Kuzmenko Horvat Boeser

Podkolzin Blueger Mikheyev

Lockwood Lazar Joshua

Hughes Marino

OEL Myers

Dermott Schenn

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hey, I was just thinking may be Calgary would want to trade for Miller after all that's happened, they have the cap now. Not very good at this, but may be Miller for 2023 1st, 3rd, Pelletier, Boltmann. No RHD, but at least we get the return. 

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Hey, I was just thinking may be Calgary would want to trade for Miller after all that's happened, they have the cap now. Not very good at this, but may be Miller for 2023 1st, 3rd, Pelletier, Boltmann. No RHD, but at least we get the return. 

Calgary could lose Tkachuk in a year as well as Mangiapane.  Sounds like they will 1st take a pause and assess where their team is at before making any rash move (- can't remember which insider spoke to Treliving).  No point in trying to keep the group competitive if they don't have what it takes to win it all. 

They have players with trade value - would allow them to do a re-set. Get some new talent in the system.

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

he needs to go east, not in our division!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Rumor has it Miller wants to go back to the Pittsburgh area, so Calgary would likely be trading for a guaranteed one year rental  and I doubt they'd cough up a ton of assets for only one year of Miller.

8 hours ago, aliboy said:

This may have already been posted. They're going to have to put their best offer on the table, meaning one that makes sense to them and see if there's a deal to be had. I would think, based on the numbers we're seeing that anything below $8M-8.5Mx6 is unrealistic. Yet, I just don't see the Canucks going to $9M or above. If they don't re-sign him then as the season rolls along he's going to be thinking he's getting closer and closer to Pitt as a UFA, is my thinking.

Yes, the Canucks love JT. What did they expect them to say? Drop my drawers! IMHO the whole point is that JR and Allvin don't have any option. They have to trade JT or risk losing an asset. JT will cost too much money and too much term. Trade him to Pitt. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Oh man that would be fun watching Johnny walk one year and JT and Tkachuk the next. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yes, the Canucks love JT. What did they expect them to say? Drop my drawers! IMHO the whole point is that JR and Allvin don't have any option. They have to trade JT or risk losing an asset. JT will cost too much money and too much term. Trade him to Pitt. 

curious which asset you think we'd lose if we extended JT?

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I think you misread his post. JT was the asset we risked losing in his post. 

I'm just expecting to see trade Miller comments in every post so I'm seeing mirages now. I wonder if there's a neurological term for it?