Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, King Loui said:

I feel no different from the Benning era thus far

Trade 3rd rounder for project player you don't really seem to need - check

Go into draft with 6 picks and no 2nd - check

Spend money you don't have on a winger in free agency - check

Not gathering assets from pending UFA - check?

Don't fix the defense - check?

Ouch. It hurts to see it in writing. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I just don't see his value going up once the season starts. Sure, a team will be told they have to pay up, but if the value isn't there now then what makes it there during the season? Especially when we'll still be asking a premium to let go of him when we're in the hunt, and will we really let go of him when we're in the hunt? 

My prediction is we end up trading Garland and signing Miller to an expensive deal. 

The TDL is highly competitive for expiring players without long term cap implications. We always see GM's pay up for rentals, who are making a push. Rutherford's right, It IS too early to panic.

Again, I agree it's "ideal" we have this dealt with in the summer, one way or another. But we also don't live in an "ideal" world. The Canucks don't explode if Miller isn't moved by October (though I hope he is, and agree it's best).

And I do think he and Allvin have the stones to move him at the TDL if there's no deal to be had to keep him here. Though that will suck. 

Keep in mind that he basically HAS to say this stuff publicly. He can't exactly come out and frantically declare doom and gloom if we don't move him by October. Wouldn't exactly do his leverage with other teams, or Miller's agent much good. I'm sure they're pushing very hard at a resolution sooner than later. But again, that doesn't mean it happens.

I'll remind folks Duchene was traded in November, long after people were wondering if Sakic was cut out to be a GM and questioning how much longer he was going to last for not solving that problem.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Didn't JR say Miller needs to be traded if they can't extend him earlier? Haven't had a chance to listen to the interview 

But personally I'm rooting for giant rock

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

It will be the Sedin's.  Allvin will remain as GM, and JR will hand the reigns over to Hank and Danny.

Ah, that’s right. I figured Danny and Hank were in line to be President of Hockey Ops after Rutherford retires. 

I’m not sure that they would be ready for that role in 2-3 years though? 

20 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. He hit 99 last season and it wasn't even his contract year. 

We'll all see how it all plays out.

I’m on trade Miller, but it looks like management wants to run it back. I don’t see them trading Miller at the TDL especially if we are in a Playoff race. Personally think the next season or two will be Millers best, after that maybe a decline? Idk.

I still think moving out Boeser+ for a RHD is the direction we should go. Our forward group looks good right now on paper. Not my proudest take, but I would also move out Myers and sign Subban for cheap as a temporary placeholder. Opens up some cap space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Im gonna say 110 pts this year

Fair enough. 

That's something I'm not counting on, but he definitely could improve on his points total. 

Since he became a Canuck, he's been given more ice time, especially compared to playing with TB. 

And, he's improved each year. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

The TDL is highly competitive for expiring players without long term cap implications. We always see GM's pay up for rentals, who are making a push. Rutherford's right, It IS too early to panic.

Again, I agree it's "ideal" we have this dealt with in the summer, one way or another. But we also don't live in an "ideal" world. The Canucks don't explode if Miller isn't moved by October (though I hope he is, and agree it's best).

And I do think he and Allvin have the stones to move him at the TDL if there's no deal to be had to keep him here. Though that will suck. 

Keep in mind that he basically HAS to say this stuff publicly. He can't exactly come out and frantically declare doom and gloom if we don't move him by October. Wouldn't exactly do his leverage with other teams, or Miller's agent much good. I'm sure they're pushing very hard at a resolution sooner than later. But again, that doesn't mean it happens.

I'll remind folks Duchene was traded in November, long after people were wondering if Sakic was cut out to be a GM and questioning how much longer he was going to last for not solving that problem.

We can't forget that the return Sakic received was quantity and not exactly quality, likely due to waiting so long to pull the trigger. Granted, it turned out well for them in the end, but that took time to do so. Management has been saying the plan is to clear cap, get a young rhd, prospect,  and a 1st-type deal (i.e. quality), fix holes, yada yada, and these things didn't happen at the most opportune time. Now Miller's value is starting to diminish, they've taken on cap, our backend is the same, we're hearing they want to find a way to sign Miller long term, yada yada. It kinda is starting to look backwards from what new management has been saying, so I can see how some fans and pundits are nervous that they see the plan changing and we're going to instead try to limp into the playoffs ala the bosses orders. Voila! Impatience. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We can't forget that the return Sakic received was quantity and not exactly quality, likely due to waiting so long to pull the trigger. Granted, it turned out well for them in the end, but that took time to do so. Management has been saying the plan is to clear cap, get a young rhd, prospect,  and a 1st-type deal (i.e. quality), fix holes, yada yada, and these things didn't happen at the most opportune time. Now Miller's value is starting to diminish, they've taken on cap, our backend is the same, we're hearing they want to find a way to sign Miller long term, yada yada. It kinda is starting to look backwards from what new management has been saying, so I can see how some fans and pundits are nervous that they see the plan changing and we're going to instead try to limp into the playoffs ala the bosses orders. Voila! Impatience. 

I don't need it explained to me :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Ah, that’s right. I figured Danny and Hank were in line to be President of Hockey Ops after Rutherford retires. 

If JR wins us a cup in 3-4 yrs, I don't care who they hire to succeed him.  Even Messier is fine too. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, they would each only have to learn half of it so maybe they can accelerate ::D

• Vintage 1