The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

There was an article in the province about Miller and Minnesota too.

When a team is in  the basement the vultures will circle - especially if other GMs perceive a weakness in management.

Id like to see a new coach before any significant players are moved, hell Id like to see a new GM before any significant pieces are moved.

That said, if anyone is moved I hope its to shore up the very below average D core.  Also, be careful about moving a guy that has proven he can score up till about 3 bloody weeks ago, and the guy that lead the team in scoring last yeaqr.  I suspect Boeser is a 30 goal scorer on a good team.  I see posters thinking Hogs, Podz and Klimovich make Boeser redundant.  No they dont, none of those guys have ever scored at his pace (probably at any level) and none of those guys really project to be a first line winger.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

question then becomes why would he sign for anything less if he knows his QO will be more than what management would hope he would sign for? 

Benning's and his crew is obviously going to try to sign him for less than his QO. Why would Brock do that? 

The only reasons Boeser would consider it is if he wants a longer term deal now or if he really wants to stay with the Canucks long term.

I doubt he signs here though given the turmoil. Better move for him is to take his QO until becoming a UFA and going where he wants to go.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

There was an article in the province about Miller and Minnesota too.

When a team is in  the basement the vultures will circle - especially if other GMs perceive a weakness in management.

Id like to see a new coach before any significant players are moved, hell Id like to see a new GM before any significant pieces are moved.

That said, if anyone is moved I hope its to shore up the very below average D core.  Also, be careful about moving a guy that has proven he can score up till about 3 bloody weeks ago, and the guy that lead the team in scoring last yeaqr.  I suspect Boeser is a 30 goal scorer on a good team.  I see posters thinking Hogs, Podz and Klimovich make Boeser redundant.  No they dont, none of those guys have ever scored at his pace (probably at any level) and none of those guys really project to be a first line winger.

Benning set himself up to lose Boeser when he signed him last time. His QO is going to be too high for Benning to fit in due to his $&!#ty cap management. Every GM knows it so he will get pennies on the dollar for Boeser.

Look around for the most Sutter-like player around the league with a bloated contract who another team is desperate to get rid of. Benning will trade Boeser and a 2nd for him. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Benning set himself up to lose Boeser when he signed him last time. His QO is going to be too high for Benning to fit in due to his $&!#ty cap management. Every GM knows it so he will get pennies on the dollar for Boeser.

Look around for the most Sutter-like player around the league with a bloated contract who another team is desperate to get rid of. Benning will trade Boeser and a 2nd for him. 

i agree that Benning has caused a lot of problems for himself.

Regarding the QO offer. Am I mistaken in thinking they can take the player to arbitration?

Imho if anyone gets moved its Miller. I doubt that guy stays here when he goes UFA, especially if the team is mediocre-sub mediocre.  Sell high on him now.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

i agree that Benning has caused a lot of problems for himself.

Regarding the QO offer. Am I mistaken in thinking they can take the player to arbitration?

Imho if anyone gets moved its Miller. I doubt that guy stays here when he goes UFA, especially if the team is mediocre-sub mediocre.  Sell high on him now.  

Now try to think of 1 player Benning has sold high on.

I am not sure off the top of my head if Boeser can be taken to arbitration. If he can and the team does, he will be gone for sure the next year though. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not sure off the top of my head if Boeser can be taken to arbitration. If he can and the team does, he will be gone for sure the next year though. 

Jared Mccann! :lol:

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think we can write a thesis on Benning and all the moves that have resulted in where the team sits today - its not a good situation.

Regarding the QO, i think i need to know two things before forming a stronger opinion on Boeser

1. Can the team take an under performing player to to Arbitration to argue against the QO (I think they can but not 100 percent sure)

2. Does the player take the QO with him to a new team. Say they trade Boeser to another team, is the other team on the hook?  If this is the case it will make it a lot harder to move an underperforming player.

In any case, IMHO the best move is to move Miller (if coaching change doesnt work first lol)

If we can get a decent deal... go for it.  Trade Boeser and Miller by the deadline this year.  I am 50/50 on Horvat, but I would tend to get some assets for him before he walks too, otherwise we are really banking on suddenly turning it around next season so convincingly that he would be agreeable to re-signing as a pending UFA rather than go somewhere he can actually have a chance to win.

I don't trust Benning to make any of these moves though so the first step should be to hire a new GM, then give him a month to assess things and put these guys on the block around Christmas/January.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's struggling for sure this season but the moment we trade him to a vaguely good team with a good coach you know he'll drop 40 goals consistently. Grabner exploded after we traded him and Boeser will do much better.

If we start trading our young star players who we've taken the time to groom before we can the coach, this team's spiraling will get even worse, we may not even be at rock bottom yet.

There’s about a handful of guys in the league who can do that. Boeser ain’t one of em. Not even close. Let’s see him crack actually score 30 before we talk about even one 40 goal season, let alone multiple. 

• Cheers 1