The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The first domino to fall

Rate this topic

73 Percent

The first domino to fall  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Newsflash

We suck.

Changes are coming. I know this. You know this. It's inevitable. I want to know what you THINK will happen first then I want to know what changes YOU would make first. 

This is be a gm mode and you're in control. 

Note to mods: I didn't see a topic like this (not that I looked hard). I never make new topics so FTW.

Edit: added president hire to voting options.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

I mean, I would say coaching but they really seem to want to ride this train.  Then I would say assets but (a) they are cap strung and (b) I'm not sure Benning is even allowed to make trades at this point.  I don't need an ownership change.  They guy spends to the cap and what more can you really ask for.  I think it will probably ultimately be a clean sweep (coaching and GM) like what happened when Benning himself came on board.  At least in fairly quick succession one after the other.  If something actually happens during the year it will be the coach from the above options.  Benning will be under orders not to trade the first rounder and then he'll probably walk the plank too if the team is still this bad at the end of the year.

• Vintage 1

I chose coaching change in both choices.

I think that's the only way to do it, even though I don't think it's ideal.

I still have no doubt that the players that are assembled on this team are good enough to succeed - I think they've just given up on playing for this coach (who I actually still like, despite it being his time to go).

With a new coach one would expect that these players can get things moving in the right direction despite the obvious flaws/holes in the makeup of the team.

At that point unfortunately we'd still be screwed, because I don't think Benning has the ability to fix what still needs to be fixed.

So then we'd still have to fire the GM who at that point would be looking a little better if we were winning above .500, so it probably just wouldn't happen. And if it did, the new GM would want his own coach in short order.

So I guess honestly I think we should fire the GM, but it just seems like it would be a looong timeframe between that point and when the GM could choose his new coach and when he could fix the lineup problems.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Newsflash

We suck.

Changes are coming. I know this. You know this. It's inevitable. I want to know what you THINK will happen first then I want to know what changes YOU would make first. 

Note to mods: I didn't see a topic like this (not that I looked hard). I never make new topics so FTW.

I LOVE being in the GM mode. That's my favourite thing to do. Thanks for putting me into the driver seat.

If Benning's on thin ice any change of coach would just be an interim appointment. Don't see the big coaches available jumping at that choice without long term contract protection, which I also don't see the owner agreeing to. Be careful what you wish for, all signs point to another inexperienced/ rookie coach if Green is cut loose imo.

We need a GM that can competently build a winning team, spending to the cap is great, if you are spending on the right pieces. This off season seemed like GMJB was finally going in the right direction, then the season started... This isn't solely on the GM, coach Green needs to be able to get the player ready to play, that clearly hasn't happened. Should have another option, clean house. 

Only coach I would keep is Ian Clark, maybe Brad Shaw, but if Shaw runs PP/PK I think he needs to go as well as they are both disasters. 

Could our issues be player related, toxic locker room? Sure, but if that is the case I would rather have someone new with an unbiased opinion come in and make the right changes to fix whatever is broken, no more lip stick on a pig from current management/coaching

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Newsflash

We suck.

If i'm the GM i'd be firing the coach.   And interviewing Torts or trying to get him back.   I'd also resign and recommend that the club hire a President.    That's the correct thing to do JB.    I'd also be pretty sad that all that off season work didn't work out... but hope like the good work Nonis did, that in then near future the club could turn a corner. 

Edited by IBatch

So I like this topic because its decision-focused.

So there's 3 camps of ideas, what you want to do first, what you should do first and what you can do first.

Green has not done a good enough job to retain that job, I think thats clear and justifiable. Benning has assembled a decent core that should at least be a .500 club, maybe competing for a wildcard if all went well, but he has a meh overall history. Ownership is not changing. The team is demoralized and I do think we are at risk of guys wanting out.

So if ^ this is accurate:

1. Green should be fired today. We can easily do this now and it also should be done now.

2. Benning and Weisbord both have to move on. This is much harder to accomplish as there is no president to take over in the meantime. We do have Chris Gear to temporarily step up if we have candidates in the funnel already and its a matter or a week or two to get an experienced GM in place.

3. Ownership isn't going anywhere.

4. No big trades unless its a true hockey deal that improves the team. Very hard to do even under the best circumstances. We also don't know yet if this is a personnel or a coaching issue at heart.

Green has to go today. We just don't have enough knowledge to know what an experienced NHL coach can do with this team. If we still suck, then we can look at personnel changes. A new GM may take until the off season to pull off. Owners are staying.

• Cheers 2

Fire Green today is a start, but that's what's so agonizing. It was so obvious weeks ago that the team was sinking. Firing Green then may have been the life jacket to cling onto. Fire him already. Most important, firing him and Baumer saves the youngsters on this team from anymore scarring. I fear what these clowns will leave behind as damage. At this point I want Shaw and the entire bench staff turfed. Ian Clark stays, that's it. 

• Vintage 1

3 Step (if needed) program

Step 1) Fire Green immediately.

Step 2) Install Shaw as interim head coach. Give him until the end of the season to turn things around.

Step 3) 1 of 2 possibilities: Either give Shaw the job if he performs well or if he doesn’t hire a new experienced NHL coach.

P.S.

Fire Benning at the end of next season if we’re out of the playoffs race and give a new GM the chance to create his own vision of the team from top to bottom. If the problem is the coach then it will be shown in our results this year or next year. If it’s the GM it will be shown in our results next year. I still want to see how this team does under a NHL caliber coach, but unfortunately I doubt that’s happening this season.

P.P.S

In the future we evaluate job performance and decide whether to keep or fire people based on that year’s results only and not past success.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Vintage 1