The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Mike Babcock in town to meet with Aquilini family...

Rate this topic

N4ZZY

Btw, one little tidbit about Mike Babcock...  

One of my close friends had volunteered for the Olympics back in 2010 and he got some job at the local rinks (might've been Britannia on Commercial Dr, but don't quote me on it).  

Anyways he said that he got to work when Team Canada was practicing and he specifically mentioned Mike Babcock as a member of the team that was the nicest and most polite to all the volunteers around the rink... went out of his way to chat with everyone and ask them how they're doing.  

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Btw, one little tidbit about Mike Babcock...  

One of my close friends had volunteered for the Olympics back in 2010 and he got some job at the local rinks (might've been Britannia on Commercial Dr, but don't quote me on it).  

Anyways he said that he got to work when Team Canada was practicing and he specifically mentioned Mike Babcock as a member of the team that was the nicest and most polite to all the volunteers around the rink... went out of his way to chat with everyone and ask them how they're doing.  

Yeah, it’s different though when it’s player-coach relationship. 

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Interesting that he's meeting with Aqua and not Benning. Mayhaps both Benning and Green are on the chopping block?

One can dream.

My gut sense is that Benning’s become a lame duck GM. GM in position only, but has no authority to do anything. Worse place to be in. Shameful really. 

They desperately need a new GM. And they need a new coach/new voice in that locker room. 

If Babcock was hired by Aquilini, I would not be surprised. The owner playing GM just comes out of the shadows even more. Might as well just slap the official label on yourself, Francesco, and make yourself GM. 

Eyeroll Love GIF by The Bachelorette Australia

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

My gut sense is that Benning’s become a lame duck GM. GM in position only, but has no authority to do anything. Worse place to be in. Shameful really. 

They desperately need a new GM. And they need a new coach/new voice in that locker room. 

If Babcock was hired by Aquilini, I would not be surprised. The owner playing GM just comes out of the shadows even more. Might as well just slap the official label on yourself, Francesco, and make yourself GM. 

In this situation, the owner needs to do something here. Green was a total mistake of a hire. And the fact that Benning stuck with Green as long as he did means that Benning sucks at evaluating his staff. 

I believe Benning is deep down a nice guy. I don't know about Green. He comes across as arrogant, as some other posters say as well.

16 hours ago, D-Money said:

Source couldn't be more weak.

He is in Vancouver, but it's because the University team he coaches is playing the Thunderbirds. No legitimate reports of anything else.

If he happened to be in town , it would make sense for Aqua man to get in contact and have a word.

I was opposed to BabCock for some of his antics in Leaf land. But i think he might  be willing to take a big pay cut and cut out the antics to repair his legacy 

13 hours ago, tas said:

there's nothing in business ethics that states the general public is entitled to a detailed summary of interpersonal relationships and personnel decisions of privately owned companies.  

You couldn’t be anymore wrong.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Interesting that he's meeting with Aqua and not Benning. Mayhaps both Benning and Green are on the chopping block?

One can dream.

Benning isn't even allowed to return calls to other GMs right now you think Aqua going to let him hire a new coach?

Benning's time here is done.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He literally changed almost half the team in the summer but now he can’t even return a phone call. Because some random dude on Twitter told you that?

Also, is there any evidence that Benning isn’t in the meeting with Babcock, if there actually was a meeting to begin with?  

• Cheers 4

Have people considered Benning may very well not be in Vancouver and we have these things called phones? 

Until we have actual reports and not some tweet from a dingus on Twitter in Surrey this is really a nothing story. 

Also I think the way it works is if we hire Babcock what we pay him is deducted from the amount the Leafs pay him so he'll still get the 6 million but less from us. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which Twitter source did you get this info from?  

Sn650  approximately 615am today 

I got to work around 545am was doing some paperwork to get ready for workday radio was on and they were talking about it.. I wasn't fully paying attention but definitely heard it

Edited by WHL rocks