The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Adam Gaudette

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I actually think historically, the Canucks have drafted decently in the later rounds. 

- Bieksa was drafted in the 5th round pick 

- Alex Edler (3rd round)

- Jannik Hansen (9th round)

- Ben Hutton (5th round)

- Nikita Tryamkin (3rd round, does he count?)

- Adam Gaudette (5th round)

- Gustav Forsling (5th round)

- Jack Rathbone (4th round)

- Michael Dipietro (3rd round, very possible)

- Artus Silovs (6th round, possible)

Some of the more recent later round picks are too early to tell. But there are some good players that were drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Many have contributed (not all) in major ways to the organization when they were in blue and green. Obviously the younger players like Dipietro and Silovs are yet to be determined whether they can contribute in meaningful ways. 

Great. And statistically 4th round and later playing more than a 100 NHL games in an outlier and Gaudette is not a bust. 

How the Canucks draft doesnt matter much to the overall statistic of later round picks. The point is Gaudette has played more games than the mean and therefore is not a bust.

Hell even 2nd rounders are just approx. 50% chance of making it.  

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, there has to be an alternative to the 4th line centreman. What about calling up Nic Petan? 

He’s more of a centreman, even though he doesn’t help by being a lefty. 

It’s hard for me to believe that the organization has zero right handed centers. Like, did Benning and his team not think through this and thought it was a good idea to enter the season without a righty? 

Jim is a reactive GM. Maybe they would have but Dickinson fell in his lap for cheap so he went that way.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Jim is a reactive GM. Maybe they would have but Dickinson fell in his lap for cheap so he went that way.

I will admit that, after the start of this season and with the waiver claims, if Benning doesn't really do enough in the planning department. Like I'm sure he plans, but to what extent?

It seemed weird to me with how many signings he performed over the summer. I'm sure some of it was because of Abbotsford, but then why not just have Abbotsford sign some of those players if that was the only reason for it? Then again, this "extra competition" mentality frustrated me during the Gillis days as well, not that I think competition is bad, but I think perhaps too much competition can also be bad. I think there needs to be a balance there in terms of what is healthy and what's not.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

I will admit that, after the start of this season and with the waiver claims, if Benning doesn't really do enough in the planning department. Like I'm sure he plans, but to what extent?

It seemed weird to me with how many signings he performed over the summer. I'm sure some of it was because of Abbotsford, but then why not just have Abbotsford sign some of those players if that was the only reason for it? Then again, this "extra competition" mentality frustrated me during the Gillis days as well, not that I think competition is bad, but I think perhaps too much competition can also be bad.

Jim is just painfully old school. He goes out and finds the best players he can and its up to Green to make it work. But there doens't seem to be any analysis of the future impacts of the move.

E.g., I like Dickinson for a 3rd, but not if that prevents us from getting a right handed C because of cap space then don't do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Jim is just painfully old school. He goes out and finds the best players he can and its up to Green to make it work. But there doens't seem to be any analysis of the future impacts of the move.

E.g., I like Dickinson for a 3rd, but not if that prevents us from getting a right handed C because of cap space then don't do it.

I don't know if that trade in particular would have caused that issue. Just planning to get a right-handed C should allow you over time to make room for that with the various trades and signings. A good GM should be able to get good deals like Dickenson while also planning ahead, because it's not like Dickenson seemed like a bad idea at the time.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't know if that trade in particular would have caused that issue. Just planning to get a right-handed C should allow you over time to make room for that with the various trades and signings. A good GM should be able to get good deals like Dickenson while also planning ahead, because it's not like Dickenson seemed like a bad idea at the time.

exactly. I like Dickie as a winger and part time C for injuries. But without an overall plan of where pieces will fit it leads us to where we are now.

8 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Check your knowledge.

Shinkaruk for Granlund-69 points in 215 games over four seasons for us including a 19 goal season while being a consistent 200 foot and PK performer for us. Meanwhile Shinkaruk hit waivers twice and bounced from us to Calgary to Montreal.

Vanek for Jokinen and Motte

Gudbranson for Pearson

1st, 3rd, Mazanec for Miller

Gaudette for Highmore

Not to mention the greatest walk-off home run 

I’ve ever seen from Benning in the

Ekman-Larsson and Garland trade.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

That's right.  Moves are so often dictated by opportunity.  Last year he had 3 lefties (including Miller) and 2 righties.  So he moved Beagle and replaced him with another leftie.  That's hoping that Sutter remained healthy and pretty short sighted.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time

Oh you need more assuring.

Juolevi for Juulsen and Lammikko

(Juolevi is once again struggling in his development due to injuries in Florida and has played in only one AHL game for their farm team in Charlotte. Juulsen is a similar D-man albeit a RHD and also has stunted his development with injuries but is now healthier than Juolevi albeit also pointless so far but has played in 13 AHL games in Abbotsford and is playing great hockey; playing for his hometown team and is on track to develop into a solid bottom pairing RHD. Juolevi is on track to head to Europe. We also got Lammikko in that deal who’s played his role as a depth gritty two-way 4th liner for us very well and brings constant energy).

Carcone for Leivo-37 points in 85 games for us over two season before a bad luck knee injury ruined his career. Was a great fit with Bo in our top six and played any line/role and was a great influence on our young players with his locker-room-> bench personality and grit. Meanwhile Carcone never translated his puck skills and energetic play to the NHL and still has not played an NHL game. He’s bounced between the AHL teams under contract for Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Nashville, and Arizona.

Pedan and 2018 4th for D.Pouliot-34 points in 133 games for us over two seasons and only was a -23 as a raw 23 to 24 year old D-man on a rebuilding team; playing PP quarterback and logging a lot of tough situation minutes. Meanwhile Pedan never saw the NHL again after leaving Vancouver and that 4th round pick turned out to be LHD Stanislav Demin who’s now in Chicagos system after being drafted by Vegas and has D- upside to even be a bottom pairing NHL D-man.

Nicklas Jensen and 2017 6th for

Etem-12 points in 39 games for us in

2015-2016 and was a great community and locker room presence who helped Horvat mature into the character player he is today. Meanwhile Jensen played 7 pointless games for the Rangers in 2016-2017 and has been playing in Denmark since. The 2017 6th round pick was current Czech-Pro forward Dominik Lakatos who is similar to what Karel Plasek in our system is but has a lot to prove yet. 

2014 3rd for Dorsett- 54 points in 184 games and 6 Playoff games for us over four seasons. Also racked 459 PIMS and led the league in that because he was an expert energy producer and disturber who played as big a role as anyone could in helping Horvat develop (assisted on Horvats 1st NHL goal too). Career highs in points and PIMS here and was on a career-high 25 goal pace before his neck injury stopped his career. Literally went through anything for the team and left a lasting impact on the organization. The 2014 3rd was used on big WHL power forward Keegan Iverson who only reached the ECHL and currently plays USports for Mount Royal University.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Sens claim him. Good for Gaudette. With the right fit he may stick for a bit somewhere. So far he's a tweener and has work to do to stick in the NHL. You never know,  a light bulb may go off. Or in this case, the right crystals may get rubbed. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Adam Gaudette! The Vancouver Canucks! Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday!

I just realized we'll be facing him tomorrow. Should be a good tilt, and I guarantee he'll be motivated to suit up against us for the first time.

• Huggy Bear 1

19 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Adam Gaudette! The Vancouver Canucks! Wednesday Wednesday Wednesday!

I just realized we'll be facing him tomorrow. Should be a good tilt, and I guarantee he'll be motivated to suit up against us for the first time.

Maybe he’ll skate around extra fast while still doing nothing of consequence. 

• Haha 1