The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Lucic cheapshot

Rate this topic

King Heffy

Calgary has a lot of big guys. Problem is they’re big dumb guys.

Lucic and Zadorov with big dumb plays tonight.

Its one thing if they were the Bruins and were allowed to get away with murder. The Flames are gonna get into trouble in the playoffs with those guys, wait and see.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes, was a cheap shot by Lucic... funny how Juice didn't seem to blame him though. Talking about how he would jump up so he didn't get the elbow in the head... and never turn away when the steamroller was coming.

Not sure the Flames are going to have trouble in the playoffs.  Typical of Sutter teams is they are very disciplined in the post season.

Anyone notice what Juice said as well about the Flames D.  He said it was typical of a Sutter team to have two big guys in the 3rd D pairing and he said he was putting his stamp on the team.

You gotta believe that Sutter told Treliving he wanted some size... and that is why we see Zadorov and Gudbranson back there.

Not surprisingly enough, those two guys are playing extremely well under Sutter's structure... they are always in position, they take the body, clear the boards and net front... up and down, in position, rarely taking risks.

The other thing I notice is that Sutter realizes while he can make some tweaks in the surrounding players, the core of the team can't be changed... and he has adapted his coaching style to fit the fact his key forwards are generally a small size.... but highly mobile and excellent passers.

Sutters previous teams were known for having heavy physical forwards... and he coached those teams to take advantage of their size and playing a heavy cycle game.  But now he has the Flames forwards playing a style which complements their talents... free wheeling, fast skating, lots of interchangeability, lots of scoring off the rush.

Like Cooper down in Tampa, he knows you don't need big forwards to win... if your forwards have strong offensive skills and you coach them to play a fast fluid game.  But both coaches know you need big D back there.  Calgary's quick playoff exits in previous years was due to their small D getting run out of the rink.

Good coaches adapt their style to the players they have.

In my opinion that is the biggest reason why Travis Green has not succeeded with the Canuck forward group.  He has forced them into playing a game which does not complement their skills.

Sutter knows how to deploy those big guys. Gudbranson doesn't look as bad as he was in previous years.

He knows size matters in the playoffs. Whistles are put away, we all know this.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yes, was a cheap shot by Lucic... funny how Juice didn't seem to blame him though. Talking about how he would jump up so he didn't get the elbow in the head... and never turn away when the steamroller was coming.

Not sure the Flames are going to have trouble in the playoffs.  Typical of Sutter teams is they are very disciplined in the post season.

Anyone notice what Juice said as well about the Flames D.  He said it was typical of a Sutter team to have two big guys in the 3rd D pairing and he said he was putting his stamp on the team.

You gotta believe that Sutter told Treliving he wanted some size... and that is why we see Zadorov and Gudbranson back there.

Not surprisingly enough, those two guys are playing extremely well under Sutter's structure... they are always in position, they take the body, clear the boards and net front... up and down, in position, rarely taking risks.

The other thing I notice is that Sutter realizes while he can make some tweaks in the surrounding players, the core of the team can't be changed... and he has adapted his coaching style to fit the fact his key forwards are generally a small size.... but highly mobile and excellent passers.

Sutters previous teams were known for having heavy physical forwards... and he coached those teams to take advantage of their size and playing a heavy cycle game.  But now he has the Flames forwards playing a style which complements their talents... free wheeling, fast skating, lots of interchangeability, lots of scoring off the rush.

Like Cooper down in Tampa, he knows you don't need big forwards to win... if your forwards have strong offensive skills and you coach them to play a fast fluid game.  But both coaches know you need big D back there.  Calgary's quick playoff exits in previous years was due to their small D getting run out of the rink.

Good coaches adapt their style to the players they have.

In my opinion that is the biggest reason why Travis Green has not succeeded with the Canuck forward group.  He has forced them into playing a game which does not complement their skills.

We also don't have enough 'heaviness' on D.

I don’t even think it was that dirty, to be honest, nor it was a cheapshot. A cheapshot is when a guy didn’t see it coming, and DeMelo glanced at Lucic before he reached the boards.

He needed to protect himself there, especially when a 230+ pound guy is coming towards you. It was a big hit with a bad outcome.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I wish one of our guys would hit someone like that.

Idc, if it was dirty or not. It would at least bring some f’n emotion to our group.

But I guess, our fans are okay with soft, lifeless hockey.

You can play physical hockey without drilling someone in the numbers into the boards.  Lucic is an absolute disgrace to the sport precisely because he keeps pulling garbage like this.,

• RoughGame 1

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You can play physical hockey without drilling someone in the numbers into the boards.  Lucic is an absolute disgrace to the sport precisely because he keeps pulling garbage like this.,

DeMelo kind of turtled and put his body in a bad position for a hit. What is he expecting? Lucic to not hit him? 

Like I said, DeMelo saw Lucic coming before he reached the boards. He needed to protect himself and brace for a hit (which he didn’t), because 10 out of 10 times, a guy is going to hit you there. 

I think this board hatred towards Lucic is clouding people’s mind. Was it a dangerous hit? Yeah, but DeMelo could have avoided it easily. The fact that none of his teammates stood up for him, kind of makes you think. Yeah bro, that was kind of your fault there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

DeMelo kind of turtled and put his body in a bad position for a hit. What is he expecting? Lucic to not hit him? 

Like I said, DeMelo saw Lucic coming before he reached the boards. He needed to protect himself and brace for a hit (which he didn’t), because 10 out of 10 times, a guy is going to hit you there. 

I think this board hatred towards Lucic is clouding people’s mind. Was it a dangerous hit? Yeah, but DeMelo could have avoided it easily. The fact that none of his teammates stood up for him, kind of makes you think. Yeah bro, that was kind of your fault there. 

Listen it’s obvious that you are a fan but that was dirty if he wanted to he could’ve avoided that hit plain and simple!

23 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Listen it’s obvious that you are a fan but that was dirty if he wanted to he could’ve avoided that hit plain and simple!

It was dirty because DeMelo made it out to be dirty. If DeMelo braced for the hit, it would have been fine. If you think otherwise, then you’re either a casual fan or you have a blind hatred towards Lucic because of 2011.

Even Bieksa said he didn’t blame Lucic, because DeMelo turned his back and didn’t brace for the hit.

Edited by shiznak

It was dirty because DeMelo made it out to be dirty. If DeMelo braced for the hit, it would have been fine. If you think otherwise, then you’re either a casual fan or you have a blind hatred towards Lucic because of 2011.

Even Bieksa said he didn’t blame Lucic, because DeMelo turned his back and didn’t brace for the hit.

It’s Bieksa he played the game fairly let’s say rough I wouldn’t expect to many hits are dirty in his view ::D

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

2 jets there and Lucic skates away from it like nuthin. He nearly murders their team mate. 

What's happened to your team Maurice? 

Nobody wants to fight Lucic.  

That's why I was begging for Loui to waive his NTC so we could get Lucic here.  All this complaining from fans, but there's 22 people out there that don't have an issue with Lucic and it's his other 22 teammates.  

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Lucic could've made it a softer hit, for sure.  

But you're going into the corner and the d-man is blocking you, so are you not allowed to make a hit?  Are you supposed to avoid physical contact?  

Serious question, not trying to be a smartass here.