The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

50 minutes ago, Devron said:

If player culture was such a problem there would have been player moves. New management, same players. The issues where in the top end to coaching. That’s all done now. Not to mention the media is full of it 90% of the time 

Remeber Kyperos's claim at the end of the year that there was a "country club" atmposhere in Vancouver and major changes were coming...

Vancouver media took the bait at the time and so did some fans. That Bourne and Kyper podcast is brutal.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’ll be 36 when his contract is up. That’s a big difference than Boeser who’s on a three year deal in his prime.

Getting 6+ mil when you’re 34, 35, and 36 is what makes the deal worth it.

I just think he goes for the max..

12 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Remeber Kyperos's claim at the end of the year that there was a "country club" atmposhere in Vancouver and major changes were coming...

Vancouver media took the bait at the time and so did some fans. That Bourne and Kyper podcast is brutal.

I’ve always taken the media with a grain of salt but ever since the Canucks were taken out by Covid and the crap that was fabricated from that.. I call bs on practically everything now

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

You want brutal?  Look at his fight with Ryan VandenBussche.  I won't post a youtube link to that fight because it's THAT ugly.  (Kyperos was bleeding all over the ice as he lay there).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rackdawg said:

Theres a chance..he may command 7.5 mill a season x 8 yrs..you think hes gunna take a discount at 6.5 a yr and be the fifth highest paid canuck i dont.

But you also have to factor in Miller's contract. No disrespect to Bo, but he's not 500k cheaper than Miller. Miller is a point per game guy, he's better defensively, and has a bit more bite to his game. And I'd argue drives plays better than Bo can. I trust Bo as a leader more than Miller, but as a player Miller has him beat all around except maybe in the faceoff dot. Which is very close you may as well call it a wash. 8m was my ceiling for Miller, I put a 7m ceiling on Bo. Guy hit 60 points once in his career. Give em the Nylander deal and call it a day.

• Like 1

Miller just took a hometown discount because he wants to win a cup in Vancouver.  What's the holdup with BO?  Does he not want the same thing as Miller?  

If he wants a max contract at market value then we can trade him to several teams who can give us a RHD in return.  I'm sure we can find a centre to replace him who is good at faceoffs and can check McDavid.  Maybe Cole Cassels is available.  Everything else can be handled quite easily by Petey and Miller...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

But you also have to factor in Miller's contract. No disrespect to Bo, but he's not 500k cheaper than Miller. Miller is a point per game guy, he's better defensively, and has a bit more bite to his game. And I'd argue drives plays better than Bo can. I trust Bo as a leader more than Miller, but as a player Miller has him beat all around except maybe in the faceoff dot. Which is very close you may as well call it a wash. 8m was my ceiling for Miller, I put a 7m ceiling on Bo. Guy hit 60 points once in his career. Give em the Nylander deal and call it a day.

Some people think BO is like Ryan Kesler.  Imagine comparing BO to the greatest defensive player in Vancouver Canucks history who was also a 40 goal scorer.  Incredible really.  BO is a 60 point player who takes faceoffs and is competent defensively.  Never got higher than 34th in Selke voting.  BO is a 2C.  He should be paid like a 2C...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Cool dude (I don't know what any of that is).

But yeah, mils is signed, Bo is the biggest speculation until he is signed.

Of course, I assume most of us believe he will be signed, but, until he is, he is not.

The old bugaboos come out.

We don't have to build a Cup contender before camp starts.

(Just before Puck Drop; Regular Season Start.)

Poolman could be back; that helps.

Dickenson might be good come camp.

A lot of players have a chance to show well and make the team and even get their rights traded etc.

Next up is the Young Stars in Penticton.

We should see some guys who might could be starting to get ready...

I’m pumped for the entire team this season knowing we have a legit point getter/ great leader,  ours,  with Miller back in the room.

Its not just his points but his entire role as a Canuck that is covered in this contract.

I do want Bo to stay,.  He has been a “favourite” player of mine, like he has been to so many other fans in this city.

Which is a big part of the culture here,.  favourites being “Forever a Canuck” and “Ring of Honour “ ,.  But more so , just a good player.

Where we’re at right now I’m sure management wants to see if our new D coaches can help make our D much better,.   I do think the potential is there..

of the top six D men listed on capfriendly ,

We have 4 drafted in the 1st round of their respective year, 1 in the 2nd rnd, and 1 in the 7th.

One would think we might have a little more in talent than what we realize.

Im looking forward to seeming the D Coaching staff enabling this group to perform to their better strengths and help right or redirect everything that’s been wrong .

I think that’s possible, and if it is,.  Soon out of the gate , I think Horvat is signed.. and our Center strength is tops in the league through the season.

If we’re still missing something on D,.  Perhaps Bo is used to bring it?

.. it’s an option, a last ditch attempt actually, and one management probably dosent want to take,.   But an option they don’t want to sign away right now.

Chances are it’s Garland or Pearson or Brock that move more before Bo , or a combination of a couple of players.

let’s not forget we’re still trying to bring the cap hit down a bit in the process.

it’s hockey, and anything can happen,.  and I think that’s the “culture change”

JR referred to at the end of last season.

We’ve always anticipated our “favourites” staying and playing with the Canucks right until their last game..  but that anticipation for fans and perhaps come players is / has to change.

Options need to be played out for the betterment of the Team,.  That being said,  time is an option in this situation,  and the type of success we have out of the gate until Christmas is going to dictate how management exercises it’s options to change or not moving ahead.

my humour with Darth Vader was intended to portray JR as Dark Darth crushing the favorite soda pop of a comfortably happy Canuck Fan.

He knows he’s making things uncomfortable,. But he is the one in charge, and using what strengths he is able to guide this team back into the playoffs.

Star Wars Pepsi GIF

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller just took a hometown discount because he wants to win a cup in Vancouver.  What's the holdup with BO?  Does he not want the same thing as Miller?  

If he wants a max contract at market value then we can trade him to several teams who can give us a RHD in return.  I'm sure we can find a centre to replace him who is good at faceoffs and can check McDavid.  Maybe Cole Cassels is available.  Everything else can be handled quite easily by Petey and Miller...

Again, he never took a “hometown discount”, no matter how much you want to believe it or what Miller himself said. He was never going to get over 60m on the open market. Especially for a 30-yrs old, who reached his peaked. His caphit was always going to be around the 8-9m mark for 7-8 years.

If Miller took at hometown discount, like you claimed. Why did it take so long for them to reach a deal, despite having constant conversations, since the end of their season? Wouldn’t you think a deal would have been done earlier?

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

If Miller took at hometown discount, like you claimed. Why did it take so long for them to reach a deal, despite having constant conversations, since the end of their season? Wouldn’t you think a deal would have been done earlier?

as has been reported, this wasn't the case. there was virtually no talk between the draft and about 5 days before the deal was signed. 

it's pretty clear both sides budged on their numbers to make this work, and what do you call it when a player takes less than he could to stay in his preferred destination?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Again, he never took a “hometown discount”, no matter how much you want to believe it or what Miller himself said. He was never going to get over 60m on the open market. Especially for a 30-yrs old, who reached his peaked. His caphit was always going to be around the 8-9m mark for 7-8 years.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

as has been reported, this wasn't the case. there was virtually no talk between the draft and about 5 days before the deal was signed. 

it's pretty clear both sides budged on their numbers to make this work, and what do you call it when a player takes less than he could to stay in his preferred destination?

I'm someone who was shocked that JT was re-signed this off-season, but Miller did take a 'hometown' discount of approx .5m-1m to stay. He would've fetched at least 8.5x7 on the open market (59.5 million), and maybe more- he also could have targeted an organization with reduced income taxes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tas said:

A compromise ≠ hometown discount.

If he took a hometown discount, he would have accepted what was offered to him and it wouldn’t have dragged on until the end of August. 

33 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I'm someone who was shocked that JT was re-signed this off-season, but Miller did take a 'hometown' discount of approx .5m-1m to stay. He would've fetched at least 8.5x7 on the open market (59.5 million), and maybe more- he also could have targeted an organization with reduced income taxes.

So, just like what I said…..8-9m x 7-8 years. Those were always going to be the approximate numbers for Miller. Now, if he continues to scores at a 95+ points season rate. Then you can say, he took a discount and is severely underpaid. Until then, he took what was market value for a 70-80ish points player.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Management probably using RNH's contract as a comparison. Bo is better, so deserves more. I think Bo''s number starts with a 7 per season. 

I’ve always said, Brayden Schenn is the most comparable contract.