The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Senators | 4:30 Pacific on SN "Hey, they actually won last game" Edition

Rate this topic

MattJVD

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think if you removed Sekeres from the mix, the quality of the local hockey media would improve tenfold.

Even the “blogger” types in this market have far more journalistic integrity.

But when you have Sekeres repeatedly making up stories, it’s so damaging to the overall coverage.

I think other media members are finally getting wise.

When IMac tweeted “You know Matt, you were not long ago a serious journalist. Take a look at what you’ve become,” I don’t think he was just referring to the Toronto studio stuff, but the larger issue, and the several instances where Sekeres has been caught spreading lies.

People hate on Drance, but I don’t think TD has ever fabricated a story. Not even the much maligned JD Burke has ever sunk to that level.

But Sekeres? Too many times now to count.

It’s tough to defend the local media when it includes Matt Sekeres, and in a prominent role.

But like I said, remove Sekeres from the equation, and I think the overall group here actually does their job fairly well.

Certainly Vancouver (sans Sekeres) isn’t any more “toxic” than any other sports city.

Epps’ claims about St. Louis and Toronto are laughable.

When the Blues were losing, there were plenty of people calling for coach firings and players getting moved.

And this past off-season, half of Toronto seemed to want to fire their GM and trade a bunch of their players.

I have no doubt that the current Canucks team would be getting just as much heat if they called another city home (at least one in a real hockey market with a passionate fanbase and major media coverage). 

And when it comes to Epps’ client, Hamonic, I think the coverage would have been harsher in a city like Toronto. For the most part, the Vancouver media showed a lot of restraint. If Hamonic was a Leaf, his vax status story would have been talked about 24/7.

Sid, you spend much time on Twitter?  

Not sure if you saw the things being talked about the team and Hamonic but it's pretty bad. 

Then you might be forgetting the banner flying? 

The anti Benning protest in the off season? 

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

this fan base doesn't need the media to stoke them into toxicity, a large portion of us get there on our own.  Imo, it's actually the toxic fan base that fuels the toxic media, not the other way around.........the media is just a reflection of what many of the fans already spew

Ive heard the hockey forums are really bad.   Won't go there as a result.   This is fine for now.   Wonder if we also got the GM we deserve too, the one who wouldn't let us bottom out.  

17 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Win or lose. Still gotta clean house of Benning and Green

yeah Demko Miller Petterson Boeser Hughes OEL Podz Garland Hoglander are all bush league, send them out for a bag of pucks for being so useless as they've always been... are you getting my hint that JB needs to stay and TG needs to go obvious yet? ;)

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

yeah Demko Miller Petterson Boeser Hughes OEL Podz Garland Hoglander are all bush league, send them out for a bag of pucks for being so useless as they've always been... are you getting my hint that JB needs to stay and TG needs to go obvious yet? ;)

Benning is responsible for Green at this point.  Either he's not allowed to hire an NHL coach or he considers Green's performance acceptable.  Either way, he's got to go as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sid, you spend much time on Twitter?  

Not sure if you saw the things being talked about the team and Hamonic but it's pretty bad. 

Then you might be forgetting the banner flying? 

The anti Benning protest in the off season? 

That’s not media.

Social media is a whole different animal (other than the accounts run by legitimate media members, and I’d say my previous post holds true, when it comes to what those media members write in social media, versus random, anonymous “fans”).

I’m on Twitter a fair amount, and Canucks fans certainly haven’t cornered the market on crazy.

Passionate? Vocal? Rabid, even? Sure. But no more so than a dozen or more other cities in North America.

It wasn’t our local hockey media members posting any of the tweets that really crossed the line about Hamonic.

And they definitely weren’t out there flying banners or protesting.

Of course, they covered many of those stories. As is their job.

If you want to see toxic, cross the pond and check out football fans (and some media) in the UK and Europe.

Vancouver pales in comparison.

I think we’re actually pretty tame compared to many other major sport fanbases.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s not media.

Social media is a whole different animal (other than the accounts run by legitimate media members, and I’d say my previous post holds true, when it comes to what those media members write in social media, versus random, anonymous “fans”).

I’m on Twitter a fair amount, and Canucks fans certainly haven’t cornered the market on crazy.

Passionate? Vocal? Rabid, even? Sure. But no more so than a dozen or more other cities in North America.

It wasn’t our local hockey media members posting any of the tweets that really crossed the line about Hamonic.

And they definitely weren’t out there flying banners or protesting.

Of course, they covered many of those stories. As is their job.

If you want to see toxic, cross the pond and check out football fans (and some media) in the UK and Europe.

Vancouver pales in comparison.

I think we’re actually pretty tame compared to many other major sport fanbases.

EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That one time when the Senators and Canucks had made a trade prior to the game.

E8UUKF3XsAMIJpS?format=jpg&name=large

Your post brings back memories of the Odjick/Strudwick trade for me.  I think they got traded at or slightly before game day when both the Canucks and Islanders played each other at GM place. Odjick and Strudwick fought as members of their new teams, and the fans cheered Odjick.  17 year old me did the same.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1