The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Dec. 01, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

They also never had a contingency plan for Tanev and Edler after all those years. Now we have only 2 real top 4 defenceman after 8 years of Benning. Pissed away draft picks for reclamation projects that never panned out, instead of accumulating as many draft picks as possible and building the farm ala Detroit. We have 3 of our top 6 forwards 8-18 months away from free agency. 

Isn't OEL the contingency plan for Edler?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Prepare to be disappointed

Good Bye Reaction GIF

I do kind of get the feeling that Aquilini is going to give Benning a chance to try fix things.

Horrible mistake.  

It feels like every GM we get just makes the job harder for the guy coming next.

Cupboards look almost as bare as when Gillis left and we are already down a second rounder for next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Prepare to be disappointed

Good Bye Reaction GIF

we should get rid of all our statues,  the retired numbers and ring of honour

and just use that slogan

"We are all Canucks, prepare to be disappointed"

13 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

The way things are trending now, looks like they would have to win about 70% of the remaining games. Without giving anyone there chancing a looser point as well. 

Hate to be negative but we will not do that. Not many teams past, present could sustain that for 3/4's of a season. 

They should just focus on keeping Demko's confidence up. Petty, Brock, Bo will get back to each other's individual levels no doubt. 

Hugh's is just special and will always thrive and figure out little lapses here and there on his own. 

Keep the rest in check, and come back stronger next year. New attitude, management and all. 

So what your saying is they would need 99 points just to make the final wildcard spot

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I do kind of get the feeling that Aquilini is going to give Benning a chance to try fix things.

Horrible mistake.  

It feels like every GM we get just makes the job harder for the guy coming next.

Cupboards look almost as bare as when Gillis left and we are already down a second rounder for next year.

Of course he is, they were on track until they got hit with COVID, improving every year.  Now, he's in a tight spot and he's earned the chance to get them past it.

For all the ledge sitting about a "meddling owner", it's pretty clear the vision for the team is a collaborative effort from owners, execs and coaches.  Changes will be made, but it'll likely start at players and work it's way up if needed.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isn't OEL the contingency plan for Edler?

What about drafting and developing your own? Benning has one defenceman on his roster at the moment that he has drafted and developed after 8 years. The NYI entire top 4 defence was drafted and developed by them. 

I just realized that David Poile is still the GM of the Predators, and he started in........1998. 

Holy (expletive deleted), that's 23 years, and they've made it to the Finals once in that time?!

He's also the PHO too.

tumblr_pwe48lS2iQ1uutnkko1_500.gif

Edited by PhillipBlunt
Gross inaccuracy of stating that Predators never made it to the Finals. Failure to research understood and accepted.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course he is, they were on track until they got hit with COVID, improving every year.  Now, he's in a tight spot and he's earned the chance to get them past it.

For all the ledge sitting about a "meddling owner", it's pretty clear the vision for the team is a collaborative effort from owners, execs and coaches.  Changes will be made, but it'll likely start at players and work it's way up if needed.

What a fairytale land you live in. Must be some really good reefer up there in Vernon. 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

And how has it been in the 2 years since?

And really, that "pace" is incredibly misleading, because the team started red hot that year. But in the 2020 calendar year, before COVID shut the season down early, they were one of the worst teams in the league again. And on the last game before the shutdown, Tanev got hurt, so it was only going to get worse. That season was headed the same direction the Tortarella season was.

image.png

Teams go through highs and lows, happens.  I'd be more concerned if they were just awful, but they weren't/aren't.  It was a stretch that was undeniably unprecedented, with COVID and the gruelling schedule that followed.  Not excuses, but valid points that anyone who is fairly assessing considers.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I just realized that David Poile is still the GM of the Predators, and he started in........1998. 

Holy (expletive deleted), that's 23 years, and they've never even made it to the Finals?!

He's also the PHO too.

Pretty sure the pens beat them in 2017 when PK was part of the team

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

What about drafting and developing your own? Benning has one defenceman on his roster at the moment that he has drafted and developed after 8 years. The NYI entire top 4 defence was drafted and developed by them. 

I'm not sure how much weight that has as Tampa , Colorado and Toronto have 1 draft in their top 4 as well, but must admit that our stable of D men is not great.

Rathbone has the potential of a top 4 in a couple years and maybe Woo can slot into a top 6 position in 2 years

Juolevi was supposed to be our Edler replacement that could log hours, PK work and be that defensive LD man that we desperately need right now. :(

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Holy (expletive deleted), that's 23 years, and they've never even made it to the Finals?!

He's also the PHO too.

Nashville made it to the finals not long ago. And the team has been mostly competitive, despite a tight budget for many years.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Pickly said:

What difference does that make?  I've never been shy about saying I'd never pick dmwn in the top 2 rounds, especially the first........it's too high risk.  I was certainly advocating and expecting him to take MT instead of a dman, but I also think OJ was a pretty safe pick at that spot too.  There's not much you can do about bad luck and injuries.  I'd say both Woo and Try were solid picks and we'll see Woo in the next year or two and Jurmo looks to be developing nicely too.  

Now, they have enough good fwd assets that they can move, Like Miller and Border, to balance out the roster.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Many many teams hit this exact same stage and take a step, or more, backward.  It's very common, and it's actually an important step in the process.  Teams that weather this stage learn from it and it becomes a huge character builder.

The pressure is definitely on JB to figure out how to get them past this spot.

You don't have to look too far for good examples of what you're talking about. 

Avs did some retooling on the fly and are now a solid team. (dealing with injuries this season, but they are really good when healthy)...goaltending seems to be a weakness of theirs, I still think they need to address that before they are cup contenders. But they are knocking on the door.

Oilers FINALLY after a few years of trying different things with McDavid are now turning the corner. Props to Tippet for being the guiding star they needed to turn boys into men and changing the way they play the game on the ice. 

Both situations took different methods to success, but the overall gist of it was that they knew they had great talent, they accumulated it through drafting, but they just needed some tweaks to get their teams set for being a successful hockey team year after year. That's extremely hard to do and maintain. To become a cup contending team take a lot of hard work from everyone involved. Not just the players. Look how long it took Tampa to become a power house...almost 10 years. And they went through the same growing pains as the 2 teams mentioned above.

It can go the reverse route and seem to go on forever like Buffalo or Arizona...what fresh hell would that be like?? yuck. And I honestly don't think the Canucks are in that category at all. 

Lots of other examples but those jump to my mind right away.

• Vintage 3

The problem is: the owners are running the team behind the scenes and they don't know the hockey business and what makes a team great. 

As soon as they hire a President to oversee everything, then they'll start to become a good team from the top down. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I have 8 years of practice in disappointment. I'm just not going to spend a dime or watch the games on TV until changes are made.

You consider a progression of 23 points over 4 seasons disappointing?  I think that says more about you than it does about the team

• Wat 1

I have this feeling there's a giant smokescreen being created by ownership to hang onto the staff until this streak of terrible is over. 

I honestly don't expect any moves except for possibly hiring a "president of hockey ops" but that'd be for optics only. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

There is, I grow it.  You should try it, it opens your eyes to "context"

After 8 years of trying to build a competitive team the Canucks are still a bad, deeply flawed hockey team full holes managed by a man who loves to deflect blame and make excuses, because he’s a piss poor leader, for his numerous shortcomings. I have all the context I need.