The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya but they're doing it ass backwards.  They need to hire a Pres or GM (whatever is going to be the top operations job) who would do all the hiring and set up the organization properly.  This way, the coach is the owner's pick and the new GM has no authority over him.  Unless Boudreau is temporary

First of all we don’t even know how long his contract is.

Second of all the coaching change was much more urgent than the GM position IMO. If they continued with the way things were going players were going to be asking out in the offseason (they might still).

The new GM will need a couple years to put his stamp on the team. Having an experienced coach that coaches exciting hockey is perfect for any new GM. And after next season if they want their own coach they can hire one.

Its not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Just because most teams do something a certain way doesn’t mean another way won’t work.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

The big question mark for me is whether our D can support that style, but maybe they just look completely useless because Baumer.

Never know.

Not sure, I think our D as a whole is probably better than they've looked, but I also think it's probably our biggest weakness. That and our bottom six. 

Be interesting to see what they can do under legitimate coaching. 

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The joke is that he has been all along

Sadly, true; I wonder if he will be willing to be more hands off, moving forward ?  Guess, we will find out, if the next GM is timid, then it will be the same show, with a different set of cast; perhaps,  a Mellanby announcement is next ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I'm more curious how fast they can take over the helm.  Next game is tomorrow night.  AM practice tomorrow on a game day?  Bit tight. 

They’ll be behind the bench tomorrow.

I’m not expecting much the first game. I’d be happier if they all had pre game beers and did some bonding.

The results will probably take a little bit. A lot of bad habits and bonehead strategies to undo.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea man just the entire scenario. 

People are losing their jobs, the Canucks suck. It's rather unfortunate. It's time to move on but doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Ya , honestly feel for all involved from a human standpoint 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Second of all the coaching change was much more urgent than the GM position IMO. If they continued with the way things were going players were going to be asking out in the offseason (they might still).

The new GM will need a couple years to put his stamp on the team. Having an experienced coach that coaches exciting hockey is perfect for any new GM. And after next season if they want their own coach they can hire one.

Its not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Just because most teams do something a certain way doesn’t mean another way won’t work.

Till the end of next season per MacIntyre.  

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not sure, I think our D as a whole is probably better than they've looked, but I also think it's probably our biggest weakness. That and our bottom six. 

Id like to believe the team is much more capable than they've shown. 

Like, if we as fans were sick of Baumer and Green trying the same loser $&!# over and over for years, I'm sure the players were too.

I expect them to look like they were shot out of a cannon for the next few games though.

Boys are gonna be buzzin 

51 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Asked to compare his Minny team to Ducks and Caps, he said they had little Smurfs.  Liked his discussion on what speed without size can do though.  

When asked about Canucks, he said he was watching the team, just in case someone calls. This was posted Nov 24.  

When taking about dumpins and how it’s just turning it over and boring hockey is exactly what green’s system was

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

First thing they need to fix is their breakouts.

Next up is their attacking through the neutral zone. I don’t wanna see any more stopping at the blue line line or turning back and looking for a pass to the point when there’s room to get to the net.

Finally I wanna see a much faster transition game. I hate when guys slow up to let the rest of the forwards catch up. It’s the other guys job to catch up not the puck carriers job to slow down.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You may be right. It's an Aquilini company and it's hockey so traditional management doesn't necessarily follow.  What they really need is somebody to lead this group and not cave in to the whims of ownership.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They’ll be behind the bench tomorrow.

I’m not expecting much the first game. I’d be happier if they all had pre game beers and did some bonding.

The results will probably take a little bit. A lot of bad habits and bonehead strategies to undo.

At least Edler isn't scoring his #100 on Canucks. 

• Haha 1

2nd winningest coach after Scotty bowman is great.. hopefully he can win his first stanley cup with us and end 50 year drought.... I believe Miller is the devil in snake skin,  he is the cancer! Maybe holtby was right calling out Miller after a lazy play... Green should of or could of benched him or do something holding him accountable.  But with this coaching there's no accountability with the players.. yes it's time for a change for the greater good.. Green is paid early dismissal so he can spend time with the family for Christmas... better now then after Christmas... Merry Christmas Green and to his family!!! Best wishes good luck in the KHL.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1