The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

53 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree 100% with everything you've said.

I also believe JB sealed his fate by gutting too much of the team after the playoff run. 

Also, right or wrong he signs his coach for 2 more years, claiming it a high priority - While signing his 2 stars last and have them arrive late

I thought he tried to build his team and spent his cap on the 4th line, instead of the Goalie out like most successful teams

It started with LE , then Gagner sent to the farm at 6.3 million owing

There were too many miscues (without rehashing them all)

It was the wrong time to overpay for Beagle and Rousell (and even now) as he got rid of them

His timing seemed to be off and always paid more than other teams were willing to pay for most of his signings and was stuck with them

Then he signs Virtanen and he is gone

With all these signings and buyouts and desperation summer signings i think the owner finally saw that the plan was day to day and not focused for the future and Jim himself ran out of time

Hopefully we will never hire someone from the team that we meet in the Stanley Cup Finals again

We took Keenan of the Rangers thinking he'd take us to the top as well

Then Benning of the Bruins

Edited by ba;;isticsports

6 minutes ago, mll said:

and Hamonic at 3M.   

Our opponents have scored 3 or less goals in every game Hamonic has played in except Colorado, which was an empty netter. He’s not one of the issues. Poolman when he tries to be offensive, Myers when he overhandles or overcommits to the puck and our 3rd pairing when Hamonic doesn’t play are the problem areas on D.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

No he called out someone else's name.  Some dude from Siberia I think...

We would need a Russian interpreter at the draft if we were to draft any Russians so Smyl doesn't screw up the names...

True enough. That was pretty funny. Although I don’t think Podz minds. He was excited to come to Vancouver, thank gosh he has a coach now that can hopefully help him 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Drance polled some executives and pro-scouts recently - they like that OEL has rebounded but still have him as a negative value contract because of the cap hit and length.  Myers and Poolman also fall in the negative value contracts according to the group polled.  

Yeah I don't think Myers, Poolman or Hamonic are very tradeable. 

I think if you put OEL on the market there might be a chance a team takes but it's probably small and I reckon you wouldn't get anything but cap relief. OEL's NMC probably makes it even less of a probability though.

28 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

the new management group is a collaboration of voices. I think Smyll is the interim GM. Johnson the interim AGM. Do you think those guys go back to their posts or will their promotion be permanent?

If they are successful well why not keep them. 

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

the new management group is a collaboration of voices. I think Smyll is the interim GM. Johnson the interim AGM. Do you think those guys go back to their posts or will their promotion be permanent?

I can live with it for now but I can’t recall a group of voices have made a winner in the NHL. A goup can and should be heard but it needs a trong leader and I hope one comes from outside the current team that has a fresh take on the whole situation. No previous attachments to staff, players etc.

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm not old enough to have watched him.

All I know is that I met him in the press box at a game and shook his hand.

I'm an above average sized dude but his hand was like a bear paw and his handshake was so firm it almost broke my arm off.

Just based on that interaction, I'm comfortable with this move.

Steamer was the leader of NW bruins, if we had their work ethics and play physical , we're in the playoffs

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Pretty sure Tanev was a top 4 RHD.

Yeah. He was. I'm saying a top 4 RHD who can you know...score from the backend. Something Tanev can't do. 

Great defensive defenseman for sure. 

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Funny, but Benning was always accused of trying to adopt the Boston model. Now that he's gone, and the keys are handed over to a group of former Canucks, it's clear that Aquilini is pursuing the Edmonton model. And we all know how hiring nothing but ex-Oilers as worked out for them.

Well, hiring non ex-Canuck never worked out for us might as well give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm sure they will hire a proper GM shortly anyways.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, and you should be worried about that

Not that I'm sad about what happened at all but the fans called for change and got it.  That's the sign of a weak owner

Don't think I agree with that, if anything the aforementioned were simply the straws that broke the camel's back. Odds are it's been in the works for a little while now. 

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So is there going to be a POHO that's hired? Is that the plan? 

Cause this rag tag group of management now with Smyl, Johnson, Gear, Sedins. 

That's a lot of voices in the kitchen. Who's making the final decision? Is it Smyl? Gear? 

5 brains go with Majority vote, so 3 people have to be right/wrong over just one (for now) ?

3 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hoglander, Hughes, Podkolzin, Miller, Garland (and some less significant but still useful pieces) have all been added in the last 4 1/2 years; that is a considerable amount of talent provided they play up to potential. There is still work to do but to suggest that acknowledging this is some kind of across-the-board approval of every move JB did is just dumb. You have to take both sides of the ledger into consideration when accounting. I'm sure this post will get a very intelligent response .

I’m not going to go in-depth anymore because Jim’s gone - the good fight id over.

If you understand how that talent arrived you would understand that what he brought to the team is not an achievement. Teams that suck a lot get a lot of high picks that turn into great players - it’s really not rocket science.

Miller and Garland were acquired using very high draft picks. It’s not like we just got them for cheap or plucked them off waivers.

A 10 year old kid that plays NHL 21 can trade draft picks for good players too.

If that’s your bar after 8 years, that he brought some good players to the team, then you’re standards are painfully low.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Because they're all inexperienced. 

What i mean is, if now that they are gaining experience in the roles they are in, become successful then thats when we keep them in the roles they are in.

Its like a good boner… if you don’t want to loose it don’t &^@# with it. (The boner being success) 

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

March we were 8-4-1

warming up for a hot streak before covid hit

January is our usual doldrums. 

so you'd rather throw shade that's your choice. 

After January that's when we usually warm up. Usually just enough to rob us of a better draft pick. It's a weird habit we have. 

Well with your argument Canucks were 4-5-1 in their last 10 games before the Covid pause in the 2019 - 2020 season and sliding out of playoff position. Heck most in the media argue that the Covid paused saved their seasons 

So both arguments can nullify each other but what matters now anyways is this season which has become even worse than the previous 2 seasons 

Edited by iinatcc