The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. and grabbing OEL and Garland for a full garbage truck !!  at par value on paper !!

Benning actually had a really good summer.  Too bad Sutter got long COVID after he was signed or else he would have been the perfect right hand 4C.  Him and Motte would have definitely helped our PK.  And if Hamonic had shown up to training camp then that would have helped as well.  The only thing missing from the Summer of Benning was getting a proper 3rd pairing LHD.  That was his biggest mistake.  Relying on Juolevi was not a good move in hindsight.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Coconuts said:

We've def got holes, and there's no way we'll be able to address them all in one go. With Boeser it's tough, because he absolutely could bounce back and we'd be selling low. Hopefully Boudreau can get him going again. 

I've said it multiple times, but I'd prioritize Horvat. He's irreplaceable for this team imo, we simply don't have any centers capable of doing what he does for us at the moment. Miller's the guy I'd be willing to move. 

I think Garland's young enough that he's probably worth more to us on our roster than anything we'd get in return. He's part of why I'd be willing to move Miller tbh. He doesn't quit, and he's productive. Show up every night, you need guys like that in your top six. 

But yeah, I'd let em play the string out and re-asses closer to the trade deadline. 

Assuming we still falter closing to the trade deadline this is the order I would go the next 2ish seasons

This seasons trade deadline..

Trade Miller, Motte(if he doesn't want to re-sign, 2022 UFA), Chiasson(2022 UFA and Pearson(minor NTC kicks in 2022-23).

Off-season 2022

I would focus on trying to find OEL a home if you can. He probably has a few good years left at least I would be more focused on long-term cap relief if possible. Nothing on him but I would want cap after the rebuild. If he is capable of playing good into his senior years then he'd be worth keeping as a veteran leader but you can never tell these things and I don't think it's worth finding out but we could be stuck with him anyway.

Make decision on Boeser. Whether that be keep him/trade him.

2022/23 Season

Try to re-sign Horvat. If he plans on walking in 2023 let teams talk to him to work out a trade and re-sign so we can get a good return.

Trade Horvat(if he isn't re-signing), Pearson(if you haven't already), Schenn(2023 UFA) and Hamonic(if you can, 2023 UFA)

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Don't think I agree with that, if anything the aforementioned were simply the straws that broke the camel's back. Odds are it's been in the works for a little while now. 

I have no trust in the owner and hope that they hire a head of hockey ops that will not cave to the caprices of ownership the way that Benning has done.  They need somebody strong to lead this team and do things the right way.  

We in Van had doubts about Holland and look, that dumpster fire, in 4 years is looking pretty good with essentially the same core

18 minutes ago, khay said:

Well, hiring non ex-Canuck never worked out for us might as well give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm sure they will hire a proper GM shortly anyways.

no it's not going to work..  this team is history now... forget a chance at the cup for another 40 years, we'll go back to a great regular season team soft as butter with no depth as the fan base will keep demanding a win it all this year and screw the future...  nothing new... and JB at least tried to rebuild/retool and was actually turning the corner with trades like JT and OEL Garland and plug holes while waiting for the right players to come along and picks developed, not just what's available in FA but whatever, insanity is trying THAT win it all now and sell the farm is going to work.. yeah why would we want a Stanley cup contender here year after year?? 

So it's back to that... woooohoooo..  

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Crossing my fingers and hoping Stan approaches Tryamkin about signing with the Canucks.

Big Russki might re-consider now that Benning is gone.

I have less confident, in Smyl as GM than I have with JB.  Anyways, waiting on Aquamans next move - hopefully, it happens this year.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning actually had a really good summer.  Too bad Sutter got long COVID after he was signed or else he would have been the perfect right hand 4C.  Him and Motte would have definitely helped our PK.  And if Hamonic had shown up to training camp then that would have helped as well.  The only thing missing from the Summer of Benning was getting a proper 3rd pairing LHD.  That was his biggest mistake.  Relying on Juolevi was not a good move in hindsight.

I have to admit , the more I think about it, the more pissed off I get about not having Tryamkin this year especially..  that contract should have been discussed thoroughly, and should have been agreed upon far before the day of signing. 
Tryamkin was waiting for his day.
:picard:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I have no trust in the owner and hope that they hire a head of hockey ops that will not cave to the caprices of ownership the way that Benning has done.  They need somebody strong to lead this team and do things the right way.  

We in Van had doubts about Holland and look, that dumpster fire, in 4 years is looking pretty good with essentially the same core

Do you think, Smyl is any different or worse than JB ?

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Crossing my fingers and hoping Stan approaches Tryamkin about signing with the Canucks.

Big Russki might re-consider now that Benning is gone.

Perhaps Boudreau learned a little russian from Ovie ;) ?

Ovie’s UFA year too..  just sayin :ph34r:

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Assuming we still falter closing to the trade deadline this is the order I would go the next 2ish seasons

This seasons trade deadline..

Trade Miller, Motte(if he doesn't want to re-sign, 2022 UFA), Chiasson(2022 UFA and Pearson(minor NTC kicks in 2022-23).

Off-season 2022

I would focus on trying to find OEL a home if you can. He probably has a few good years left at least I would be more focused on long-term cap relief if possible. Nothing on him but I would want cap after the rebuild. If he is capable of playing good into his senior years then he'd be worth keeping as a veteran leader but you can never tell these things and I don't think it's worth finding out but we could be stuck with him anyway.

Make decision on Boeser. Whether that be keep him/trade him.

2022/23 Season

Try to re-sign Horvat. If he plans on walking in 2023 let teams talk to him to work out a trade and re-sign so we can get a good return.

Trade Horvat(if he isn't re-signing), Pearson(if you haven't already), Schenn(2023 UFA) and Hamonic(if you can, 2023 UFA)

I'd also consider seeing if there's a taker for Halak this year, he's been better than his record reflects. 

OEL aside, I agree with your take. I just don't see a team being interested in taking him, and I also think he can be value over the remainder of his contract (although perhaps not full value but who knows?). 

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

And that's totally fair. I've been skeptical too, but this evening's been a pleasant surprise. 

Sounds like they're going to be searching for a while, which I think is probably the right move. I don't think there are too many interesting candidates out there right now, we might not see someone hired til teams are eliminated or til after the playoffs begin or end. We'll see?

15 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Benning would still have been GM if he had made the smart decision last spring and fired Green instead of extending him.

Plus of course, two years ago he should have re-signed Tanev and traded Markstrom early for a pick and a prospect instead of letting him go for nothing.  And last year should have looked at re-signing Edler for a year.

Benning did some good things... I still think his picks of Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and trades for Miller were good choices.

But he wasted huge amounts of CAP and picks on mediocre pickups.

I think you’re right. If Benning had fired Green, and found a replacement for this season, he could probably still be GM of this team. 

Should’ve also resigned Tanev, and probably traded Markström and gone with Demko so as to recoup some picks/prospects. Markström would’ve left anyways for Calgary or at the very least free agency. 

This day was coming. I knew it would’ve been today or tomorrow. But changes were going to be made pretty quick, because well, what happened the other night happened on national television. If that’s not embarrassing, I’m not sure what is. 

I think if it didn’t happen on HNIC, I honestly think Aquilini’s would’ve have just sat and waited. But because the entire country saw what happened. To not make a move would have just invited even more criticism from not just the market in Vancouver, but the entire country. 

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. He was. I'm saying a top 4 RHD who can you know...score from the backend. Something Tanev can't do. 

Great defensive defenseman for sure. 

I think we need a couple of top 4 defensive RHD, which would complement Hughes and OEL

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

no it's not going to work..  this team is history now... forget a chance at the cup for another 40 years, we'll go back to a great regular season team soft as butter with no depth as the fan base will keep demanding a win it all this year and screw the future...  nothing new... and JB at least tried to rebuild/retool and was actually turning the corner with trades like JT and OEL Garland and plug holes while waiting for the right players to come along and picks developed, not just what's available in FA but whatever, insanity is trying THAT win it all now and sell the farm is going to work.. yeah why would we want a Stanley cup contender here year after year?? 

So it's back to that... woooohoooo..  

Actually, trading 1st round picks two years in a row (20 and 21) , is not considered "rebuild".

• Cheers 1