The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

5 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

No way is that Aqua. That fell under Rutherford’s jurisdiction as soon as he was hired and from what we have heard he is very protective of his jurisdiction. But what is puzzling is how Rutherford made the determinations that these two should be fired without setting foot here, Were there some serious black marks against them that made it obvious they should be fired? It just seems harsh and without due diligence at this point.

No way? As in 0% chance?

I mean that has got go down as one of the weirdest moves by any manager not only in sports but just in general - but absolutely

I mean you put it nicely yourself, it truly is puzzling, almost extremely unlikely, that it was under JRs jurisdiction knowing he's not even met them or even spoken to them. I mean I am sure he called them up and the first thing he said was that they were fired. That seems absolutely reasonable. 

Sorry if I am being sarcastic but come on my guy. You're even pointing out the things that makes it obvious it was FA.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

12 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

No way is that Aqua. That fell under Rutherford’s jurisdiction as soon as he was hired and from what we have heard he is very protective of his jurisdiction. But what is puzzling is how Rutherford made the determinations that these two should be fired without setting foot here, Were there some serious black marks against them that made it obvious they should be fired? It just seems harsh and without due diligence at this point.

It’s been reported that the front office personnel decisions right now are being made by the Aquilini family, Jim Rutherford, and Michael Doyle (President, CSE Business Operations).

Until the next GM is hired, I don’t think it’s all that surprising that the owners are active in the process, along with the club’s two senior executives, on the hockey ops and business side, respectively.

Hopefully this is all about getting it right, and building the best organization, from top to bottom. At which point the owners can take a step back, confident in the knowledge that they have left the team in good hands.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos

14 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

No way? As in 0% chance?

I mean that has got go down as one of the weirdest moves by any manager not only in sports but just in general - but absolutely

I mean you put it nicely yourself, it truly is puzzling, almost extremely unlikely, that it was under JRs jurisdiction knowing he's not even met them or even spoken to them. I mean I am sure he called them up and the first thing he said was that they were fired. That seems absolutely reasonable. 

Sorry if I am being sarcastic but come on my guy. You're even pointing out the things that makes it obvious it was FA.  

Not sure what you are saying 

Gear was part of the interim group as stated by Smyl. If they were going to fire him to days  later , his name would not have been uttered by Smyl at all. It was a Rutherford firing. Once he got a list of names of his staff , he struck these guys out. And that's that. He is already testing his authority over ownership. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Wat 2

30 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Maybe they will finally start generating more online content for this rabid fan base! 

this, in a nutshell, is one of the organization's biggest failings in the post-gillis era. mg made the canucks look and feel like a big market team by pumping out content and having high presentation value and many other fan-facing initiatives like summer summits and things of that nature. under benning, that aspect of the canucks operation receded back to small market canadian team status and at times bordered on bush league. 

they need to get back to the pride. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Off-topic but I just gotta let it out. I really have a strong distaste for Thomas Drance. The Eklund in the Canucks media universe. 

I don't see how he's really like eklund, but he's certainly his own unique brand of awful.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While it's always hard to lose a job, this tends to happen when new management takes over. 

Were Gear and Wall vital to the Canucks future?

I'm sure they were given a pretty sweet severance package, so honestly, it's done. 

Blunt = All business. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

No way? As in 0% chance?

On your theory, Aqua elevated Gear to the caretaker managing group and then he fired him days later. That just seems a very peculiar way to do business. Not impossible just weird. Of course we are all just speculating but, hey,  that’s all part of the hobby. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

this, in a nutshell, is one of the organization's biggest failings in the post-gillis era. mg made the canucks look and feel like a big market team by pumping out content and having high presentation value and many other fan-facing initiatives like summer summits and things of that nature. under benning, that aspect of the canucks operation receded back to small market canadian team status and at times bordered on bush league. 

they need to get back to the pride. 

You provide more evidence that Gillis was a real GM. Not just a scout or old player using his dad to promote himself.

Edited by Timråfan

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Gear was part of the interim group as stated by Smyl. If they were going to fire him to days  later , his name would not have been uttered by Smyl at all. It was a Rutherford firing. Once he got a list of names of his staff , he struck these guys out. And that's that. 

Vathily Podfolfin. One of Smyls stronger assets is for sure public speaking in a pressured situation. 

Him muttering "Chris" isn't exactly a strong indicator of fact. 

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Gear was part of the interim group as stated by Smyl. If they were going to fire him to days  later , his name would not have been uttered by Smyl at all. It was a Rutherford firing. Once he got a list of names of his staff , he struck these guys out. And that's that. He is already testing his authority over ownership. 

it would have been kinda awkward if he didn't mention them.

You're grasping Maxie. You don't know what the rebuilt office will look like.

You've been ranting for two days, but you're no closer to convincing anyone that your conspiracy theory is on point.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I do not understand why some people are surprised/upset by this. A new PHO obviously gets to decide what he wants from his staffed positions. 

This article from Ian Mac is SO ANNOYING. Everyone calls for change and complains about mngmt. Then change happens and IMac leads the way in bitching about it. Nothing about these firings undermines the positivity of the last week. The only thing undermining positivity is our sh*tty media who use major sports publications as their own personal blogs!

I wish fans could vote sport journalists in or out of their jobs...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/firings-canucks-undermine-unexpectedly-upbeat-week/ 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1