The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Evander Kane

Per Friedman the Sharks have support of the NHL.  He was positive on 21 December and travelled to Vancouver on 29 December with the Sharks saying he didn’t have medical clearance to take that flight.  They also say he was supposed to report to Barracuda on the 31st but only came back on the 6th. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canucklehead53 said:

There are always 3 truths: your truth, my truth and the real truth. 

If SUBSTANTIAL contract breaches occured and is in line with past precedent then fair enough. We have no choice but to support it. But if it is San Jose trying to avoid the cap penalties then not only the NHLPA but also the NHL better be looking very close at this. Just like we can't ignore Kane's history, we can't ignore the obvious incentive for San Jose. If they are trying to cheat, then the NHL better penalize them. If it is legitimate and in good faith then we all need to support it. 

My 2 cents anyway. 

And, to be fair, you're right. I don't think this is just your 2 cents here. There's obviously going to be Kane doing whatever he can to make himself look best. There's obviously going to be a corporation trying to get out of this in however best limelight they can (or at least the most profitable they feel). Everyone's going to be in it for themselves, even the NHL, and it's up to us individually to decypher it however way we deem fit in the end.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Seems so, that why we should be letting Kane side answers before judging. Its way in favor of SJ here. 

didn't LA end out paying after cutting Mike Richards loose under similar circumstances?

LA is paying $900,000 for Richards this ear then 7-7-6-6 until 2027

actually it goes on until 2032

Mike Richards Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

didn't LA end out paying after cutting Mike Richards loose under similar circumstances?

Mike Richards Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

That’s right, they settled before arbitration IIRC. The Sharks aren’t free and clear of Kane yet and I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar happens here. It will depend on how confident SJ is that they can convince an arbitrator that it was a material breach of the player’s contract.

51 minutes ago, lmm said:

Good call, I totally forgot about Mike Richards. 

I'll be pretty pissed if Sharks are able to just walk away from Kane's cap hit.  I don't care about how the money gets resolved, but after enduring 3 years of the Luongo's 3 million penalty, I don't want to see league playing favourites and letting Sharks get away with it. 

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Good call, I totally forgot about Mike Richards. 

I'll be pretty pissed if Sharks are able to just walk away from Kane's cap hit.  I don't care about how the money gets resolved, but after enduring 3 years of the Luongo's 3 million penalty, I don't want to see league playing favourites and letting Sharks get away with it. 

C’mon brother. I’m still bitter about that too but that’s not even close to apples to apples. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s right, they settled before arbitration IIRC. The Sharks aren’t free and clear of Kane yet and I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar happens here. It will depend on how confident SJ is that they can convince an arbitrator that it was a material breach of the player’s contract.

but wasn't Richards caught with cocaine?

wouldn't that fall under the same breach of contract/ethics

12 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

C’mon brother. I’m still bitter about that too but that’s not even close to apples to apples. 

It should be apples and apples since both their contracts got/will be terminated.  

The only way that contracts disappear from the cap is if a player retires or there is a mutual termination as far as I know.  

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

but wasn't Richards caught with cocaine?

wouldn't that fall under the same breach of contract/ethics

Yeah it was oxycontin or something like that but that’s sort of the point. Even though Richards was charged with it LA still decided to settle with him rather than chancing it with an arbitrator. I’m not suggesting SJ doesn’t have a strong case (who really knows yet) but they might not want to risk getting stuck with the whole contract.

I’ve got mixed feelings about it - love to see SJ taking the hit, hate to see EK getting money for nothing (and his chicks for free:P), mostly feel bad for his daughter.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

There was never anything confirmed with Virtanen, that's still an ongoing police process, totally different scenario. If the Sharks are attempting to terminate a 20+ million dollar contract I'm assuming they've got something a bit more damning than speculation. 

Bingo. I am sure the Sharks have a lot of smart lawyers, and I am also sure the NHL brass has been kept in the loop about what the Sharks want to do with Kane. Simply breaching protocol isn't likely to be seen as reasonable grounds to void $20 million worth of salary. The NHLPA will rattle their sabres but in the end the only question is what will it cost to make him go away. The Sharks are betting on nothing, but we'll see.

• Cheers 1

I was surprised that the Sharks didn't at least try this when Kane was caught using a fake vaccine card. That was a crime in itself, and possible grounds for contract termination. They probably wanted to, but were likely advised that it may not hold up. So instead, they likely gave him stern warnings and counsel, and documented everything. Then let him loose in the AHL, and bided their time until he screwed up again. Smart strategy, sure didn't take long.

I don't think the Richards situation compares at all. He was caught with a pain killer; it was illegal as he wasn't prescribed it, but he could likely argue that it was to fight pain from a work injury, maybe even that he was addicted from being given the same substance by his employer. Plus it was a single incident, with no documented (that I know of) discipline or warnings on the matter. 

Kane's case is just collosal stupidity. The fact that he ignored the law twice, after getting stern discipline the first time, likely seals the deal. I doubt he gets a cent.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Correct.

How hard you fight for certain players is a different story.

Wrong. The business rep and union lawyers better be doing their job to the best of their ability every day, all day.

As a Teamster myself your comment is offensive. My father was a shop steward for decades and if you said that to him when he was alive you would have been doing the man dance on the spot.

• Vintage 1