The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Evander Kane

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, I'm sure a documented racist will keep behaving himself when a black player who is a proven locker room cancer is brought into the mix.  What could possibly go wrong?  The Montreal management that drafted Mailloux is now gone and replaced with the same management that kicked DeAngelo off the team.

who is the documented racist?

thanks

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah. Honestly doubt the league is going to let San Jose out of the contract - violating covid protocols doesnt justify San Jose shedding itself of 20m$ worth of obligations. 
He probably clears waivers and San Jose keeps paying him for years. Dont think any team bites just given how many reports of teammate issues there have been. 

Evander Kane is much worse than the Tony DeAngelo situation, and nobodys going to be getting him for $1m, when San Jose has the option of just waiving him and only paying half the salary instead of retaining 80% of it in a trade. 

Based on Daly's response that he feels that they are justified, plus the fact that most courts are upholding Covid protocol measures in the US, I believe that they will walk away from this.

There will likely be some type of negotiated settlement, but there is precedent for terminating a contract for conduct.

This isn't like, Ohhhh...he made a mistake, I'm sure he'll never do that again....

Kane makes mistakes and refuses to learn from them. He keeps doing them, over and over again.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Based on Daly's response that he feels that they are justified, plus the fact that most courts are upholding Covid protocol measures in the US, I believe that they will walk away from this.

There will likely be some type of negotiated settlement, but there is precedent for terminating a contract for conduct.

This isn't like, Ohhhh...he made a mistake, I'm sure he'll never do that again....

Kane makes mistakes and refuses to learn from them. He keeps doing them, over and over again.

Material Breach is a really hard thing to get though. And the fact that San Jose has been trying to unload him for so long kinda just makes them look like whiners that don't want to pay out his contract. Agreed there will be a negotiated settlement, but pretty sure a very large amount of money stays on the books for San Jose. 

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Based on Daly's response that he feels that they are justified,

A lot of people seem to miss this.

To me this indicates that if the arbitrator disagrees with the league and team; the league will figure out a way to let San Jose off the cap hit hook, anyhow.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Material Breach is a really hard thing to get though. And the fact that San Jose has been trying to unload him for so long kinda just makes them look like whiners that don't want to pay out his contract. Agreed there will be a negotiated settlement, but pretty sure a very large amount of money stays on the books for San Jose. 

Material Breach is much easier than you think, when the person in breach, keeps breaching.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that he did it once and had a 21 game suspension. If this is in front of a judge, the question back to Kane is, "Okay, so you are telling me that you made a mistake the first time, but then you turned around and did it again. What makes me believe that if you're not held accountable now, that you won't just do it a third time?"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah. Honestly doubt the league is going to let San Jose out of the contract

Bill Daly from the league has said the league believes there is enough to justify the San Jose action.

So, even if an arbitrator says Kane has to get paid, the league will likely just lift the cap hit off of San Jose.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Listen, when push comes to shove, there's almost always a negotiated settlement, even if it's behind the scenes.

#1. San Jose wouldn't want this to go to court, as they will incur legal costs that they won't be able to recover, considering Kane's financial track record, including bankruptcy.

#2. Kane won't want to risk his case getting dismissed for fact's I've already stated. It doesn't look good to a judge if you know you did something wrong and you just go ahead and do it again anyway, thinking there won't be worse consequences than what you incurred the first time (21 game suspension, which the NHLPA did NOT challenge).

If pushed, my guess is San Jose agrees to paying him out 500k per year for 4 - 5 years, and Kane goes and signs another contract somewhere else. Dragging this out, will not make Kane look good, in trying to convince another team to give him a contract. He has enough strikes against him in that he repeatedly violated terms of his contract, knowing that he was violating it.

One of the biggest things here, as I stated above, the fact that the NHLPA, Chose NOT to challenge a 21 game suspension, BADLY undermines Kane's position and the ability for the NHLPA to have issue with this now.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But having your picture taken with it enflames so many,.   And really it shouldn’t.

I think it just bothers the average individual. Maybe jealousy at how so many athletes can have so much money at such young age, and so many of us have to work 40 plus hour work weeks to do a job we often don’t really like that much but have to do to make a living. 

It can bother people. Taking a pic like that - why does an athlete need to show just how much money they’re flushed with? It’s arrogance, not humility. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, gurn said:

'So why didn't Nashville do that? or any of the other recapture teams? "

A lot of people won't do the right thing, because it is often hard to do.

I kind of feel it is a bit of karmic payback.

Bully your employees out in the fields, get bullied in return.

Unfortunately the fans and players feel the pain.

I don't see the point. The league is what it is, Aqua stomping his feet is a waste of time imo. If there was some expectation of fairness maybe but thats not what the NHL is. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it just bothers the average individual. Maybe jealousy at how so many athletes can have so much money at such young age, and so many of us have to work 40 plus hour work weeks to do a job we often don’t really like that much but have to do to make a living. 

It can bother people. Taking a pic like that - why does an athlete need to show just how much money they’re flushed with? It’s arrogance, not humility. 

It also adds to the entertainment level of the sport they are in.

We generally think of it as sport,. But more so it is merely entertainment. 
sometimes “stunts” or photo opportunities add to the entertainment value of a sport, increase its popularity.

im generally humoured by it,.  Usually the case of the more money you have, the more problems come with it lol. 
probably one of the reasons E Kane has filed for bankruptcy..  lol.

. .  And yes bankruptcies happen to everyone,

even with a happy wife :) 

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But having your picture taken with it enflames so many,.   And really it shouldn’t.

Just makes him look stupid which helps confirm mass bias that he is stupid which is exacerbated by all the stupid $#!% he does. 

The fact remains we're talking about a 30 goal scorer who's 2 previous teams saw fit to throw out of the dressing room like soaking wet laundry. That part is indisputable regardless of the grounds validity of his contract termination. 

All of the decisive covid nonsense aside ^ this should really be enough to determine that we don't need him here. 

That out of the way I don't believe Kane is a leopard. I think self preservation can in his case be the over riding motivator. If reports are true that his 3 teams of preference (NTC) were Fla, Tb 2 tax havens and Van there is no reason for Van to be on that list other than personal. I do believe self preservation can be an overriding factor. If the Canucks are deadline sellers it may be worthwhile to give him an audition they can simply walk away from him in the offseason if it doesn't work out.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

You don't see the point in doing the right thing? :)

bottom line is Frank agreed to the penalty, so he cooked his own poison.

well, you say its the right thing. I see it as Aqua knowing who he's in bed with. 

I wish Evander good luck with his future team, as long as it isn't the Canucks. I don't believe he will change, but  hope for him.

I don't think he will win his arbitration.

But I'm reasonable sure some team will take a chance, at close to league minimum.

Just as long as it isn't with the Canucks.

I believe in second chances,  maybe a third, but not multiple chances.

Simply from a pr stand point he would be foolish risk.

Some other team could give him a chance, have it go wrong and just say "we tried". The media  country wide would agree.

If it went wrong here , the media countrywide, would label our team a bunch of idiots for not learning from 3 other teams mistake.

Man, I can’t stand the guy - but look at his highlights from last season. He’s big, strong, fast, and skilled. It would be almost like adding another JT Miller level player…

Not necessarily saying it’s a good idea (PR nightmare!), but he is a great player on the ice.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, nergish said:

Man, I can’t stand the guy - but look at his highlights from last season. He’s big, strong, fast, and skilled. It would be almost like adding another JT Miller level player…

Not necessarily saying it’s a good idea (PR nightmare!), but he is a great player on the ice.

And yet his team is doing better with him removed.