The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Jan. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The environment that he created zapped the confidence out of all of our players. 

Yes he’s a big part of it. 

Well said.   Go ahead and try and name one single player who thrived under green.    He was a human meat grinder - chewing up and churning out deflated players.   Too bad Uncle Jim din't get us a real NHL calibre coach earlier.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Because if he doesn’t turn things around… our team is looking at a decade more of futility.

I am confident he will be fine.  He does have to be a superstar, just a 60-80 point guy who is also decent defensively.  Barring something crazy happening, that is still his floor.

Young players stumble all the time and have bad years.  If you hear coaches and veterans talk, a lot of success in the NHL is learning how to be a pro.  Petterson is still years away from his prime.

I'm losing confidence every game.   Under Green he had his best years lol.   Coaching is no longer (and never should have been) and excuse.   Motte is already passing him in even strength goals and points ... 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

But Brock and Elias also had their most success under Green?

Which Brock and Elias are you referring too?  Last I saw, our Brock and Elias were shells of their former selves and unable to garner even an occassional assist under in the last weeks under the green reign of terror.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.   People need to smarten up.   They've got their long wanted "experienced coach" they got one.   It's only 3 games.   And tough teams too.   Green wouldn't have gotten a bye though he'd have been crucified.    Maybe we just aren't good enough yet and need some better players?  

It was a poor game in which they got bullied.... Need bigger players (Glad Bo was ready to drop them).

Its really good teams we are meeting, and on a tough schedule, with early times...  

We may or may not get into the play offs, but its a learning curve... both for the players and management.

And without our Star player playing well, and the rest taking the day off, can't really expect much more... It'll get better, but fear it won't be this season.

With all the call offs, it will be a tight schedule to get all the games played, so.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 13231 said:

I have a feeling Petey will begin to click soon, his effort is visible and he's consistently creating chances. I hope he's shown a little mercy today by the wave of criticism the team will deservedly face today. 

Unfortunately we've been hearing this for a while. Pete's improving, he played better this game, he's about to turn the corner. He isn't any better than he was at the start of the year. same player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

It was a poor game in which they got bullied.... Need bigger players (Glad Bo was ready to drop them).

Its really good teams we are meeting, and on a tough schedule, with early times...  

We may or may not get into the play offs, but its a learning curve... both for the players and management.

And without our Star player playing well, and the rest taking the day off, can't really expect much more... It'll get better, but fear it won't be this season.

With all the call offs, it will be a tight schedule to get all the games played, so.....

How many years is it now we have been talking about being a tougher team.......not getting pushed around. ????

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Considering he absolutely destroyed their confidence with his gross incompetence and lack of professionalism, it's largely his fault.  A bad coach can cause permanent damage when kept around as long as Green was.

You are certainly on to something and likely there are a few of our players that were permanently damaged beyond repair by green and will be traded.   I'm predicting a few "eye popping" trades by JR on the horizon, as it's fairly obvious that this team needs to be dis-assembled and re-built to some degree as we have what would appear to be an "Ardvark" assembly of incompatible players.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Which Brock and Elias are you referring too?  Last I saw, our Brock and Elias were shells of their former selves and unable to garner even an occassional assist under in the last weeks under the green reign of terror.

Both players have regressed since their rookie years. Green needed to go, no argument there, but saying he is the reason Boeser can't hit the net is dumb. If EP and BB are that mentally weak we have bigger issues.

10 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

How many years is it now we have been talking about being a tougher team.......not getting pushed around. ????

Every attempt by Benning to improve that department was a big swing and a miss.

Prust, Ferland, Gudbranson, Gadjovich, Pedan, Tryamkin, Hamonic, Roussel etc…

So many poor moves it’s no wonder this team is soft.

Edited by DeNiro

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Both players have regressed since their rookie years. Green needed to go, no argument there, but saying he is the reason Boeser can't hit the net is dumb. If EP and BB are that mentally weak we have bigger issues.

I'm not sure it's mental weakness; you're underestimating just how much of a cancer in the room Green was.  When your coach is actively destroying your confidence for your entire NHL career, it's going to wreak havoc on most guys. 

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

i like your ability to see the bigger picture. I'm still angry over the lazy performance. I thought the first two losses would have upped their intensity, but the reverse happened. Not a good show of character.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8-0-1 and then 0-3-0 still equates to 8-3-1, if we play at even 7-3-0 for the rest of the season then we make the playoffs. Just have to make sure this blep is because of the long layoff/rough schedule and not the status quo, it's too early to tell which is which. I think the upcoming home trip will really shed light onto how good we really are because we play some quality opponents at home. 

3 steps forward, only 2 steps back this time as opposed to with Green where it was 1 step forward 3 steps back.

While i appreciate and respect the possitivity at looking at the short term picture, the even bigger picture is that we keep hearing the same thing with this group......'Lets see how they do on the next stretch",  "they'll be o.k. if they win x out of the next x games", "so & so is just back from being out from injuries", "wait until the next homestand", more excuses.....etc....etc... etc...

Fact of the matter is, this team is lacking speed, agility, size, grit, proper defence and a reliable back-up goalie.  (Did I miss anything?)    and you can bet that JR is quickly coming to terms with what we've all known for the past few seasons, that this team is a rag-tag assembly of "the wrong" personel.   I'm relieved to know that the end of the JB /TG nighmare is over and that major change is just around the corner.   It will refreshing to see things finally getting addressed around here.

Layoff hurt the teams MoJo for sure. The new GM is getting a good look at this lineup. Rutherford's cup experience will be vital here as I feel he is already seeing the changes needed. EP looked better. He's our player so get used to it as no way he gets traded playing like this. Too much upside to trade him and it would be stupid to do so. JR will be busy this summer me thinks.

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I don't think there should be any disapointment

We played against a top 2 team,.........big, fast, skilled, in their building, and early game time for us

Not excuses, just reality

Like I said earlier, these games are all against top 10 NHL opposition

It is a measuring stick for JR and BB

And a little reality check for CDC

Nice snipe by Bo!

Did you mean to say "3" top teams?