The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Jan. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not sure it's mental weakness; you're underestimating just how much of a cancer in the room Green was.  When your coach is actively destroying your confidence for your entire NHL career, it's going to wreak havoc on most guys. 

You speak as if you were there. As fans we don't know. There are so many flaws in that argument, which I have mentioned (eg. JT Miller, Hughes, Horvat). Green also took them to Game 7 vs the knights. Elias was playing well despite having Green actively destroying his confidence for 2 years. Why are BB and EP the ones affected? Why only the last 2 years? It is more likely to be their wrist injuries imo.

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Layoff hurt the teams MoJo for sure. The new GM is getting a good look at this lineup. Rutherford's cup experience will be vital here as I feel he is already seeing the changes needed. EP looked better. He's our player so get used to it as no way he gets traded playing like this. Too much upside to trade him and it would be stupid to do so. JR will be busy this summer me thinks.

What do we do wait till he has no value?  He has gotten worse every year he has played.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Old habits crept back in today.

Seems like it’s going to be tougher than we thought to get the Green stench off this team.

So....how long is the time period when every loss on a team is the fault of the previous coach? :lol:

Travis failing to get us into the playoffs in his first years were because of Willie's bad BO?

You'd have a lot more credibility with that statement if not for the fact that the team had a 7-0 start.  Logically, you'd think that's when the last coach's influence would still be smelling up the team, especially in reactive situations with a tendency to do what you've been conditioned to do for the last 5 years.  A time period when a new coach would be mostly assessing the team and just starting to employ his own systems. Now that he has had time.....the team is on a losing skid.  

Of course its not that simple.

But that's almost as hilarious as blaming the former.... former.... GM, for the cap situation, prospect situation, and roster we have on the ice 8 years later. :lol:

Green had to go clearly.  He was good as a coach for Petey and Boeser and Hughes in their first years. And had a relationship with some other Comet players. But lost his way as they matured. As well as in leading, and having the respect of, the other older vets in the room.  The AHL may just suit him better.

But if you combine that coach who was in way over his head, with mediocre over paid support players each season, as your foundation, its going to be a disaster. The team is full of the latest of Benning Specials. Topping up the cap with stalwarts like Dickenson, Chaison, Hunt, Poolman to name a few.  Instead of having drafted, and developed your own by now. Average to below average veteran players who are what they are. 

Our best players still need to be better, but its a team effort.  The support players should be like the glue that helps to at least hold the team together until the stars score.  The stars can't do it by themselves. The new Jim will have his hands full trying to get the rotten smell of the old Jim off the team, with how he left it.  A former GM has waaaaay more long term effect on the team, than the previous coach would. That should be more of a concern, Why the harping on Green still? He's gone. Its been a month and a half.  Its now Bruce Almighty's show.  

Both TG and JB had to go, and the GM should have been gone first, at least 3 years ago.  Not saying Green would or should still be here but it might have been a different story for Green if he'd had a competent GM to feed him his roster to work with.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

I think whether or not the fan base will like it a lot more players are available than we think, the only truly safe Canucks might be Demko and Hughes. I’m sure we have some young guys they won’t give up on but he’s gonna change this team a lot IMO. 

I think you might have to change your handle soon because I doubt Petterson will be here much longer if he continues playing like a border-line 4th liner.  After Ha-Lack (which is a must trade), I think he and BB are number 2 and 3 on JR's list of potential trade options.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You speak as if you were there. As fans we don't know. There are so many flaws in that argument, which I have mentioned (eg. JT Miller, Hughes, Horvat). Green also took them to Game 7 vs the knights. Elias was playing well despite having Green actively destroying his confidence for 2 years. Why are BB and EP the ones affected? Why only the last 2 years? It is more likely to be their wrist injuries imo.

They did well in the bubble because of goaltending.  Green was obviously being outcoached even then, and it shows just how strong EP and BB are that they were able to produce in spite of a coach who was setting them up to fail.  It's pretty damn obvious as fans that the confidence is gone since even Boudreau has commented on it, and it's equally obvious that Green wasn't acting like a professional at any point over his tenure here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why does Petey deserve mercy in the wave of criticism? He’s been awful and makes so much money.

Thank you for being brutally honest and shaking some sense into the kool-aid drinkers.

There's a special place in heaven for people like you!   

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Wrist could account for his shot but he used to be a puck hound he has completely lost his Mojo he's not even half the player he was as a rookie.

1 hour ago, 13231 said:

I'm speaking of his performance in today's game where he was probably the only noticeable forward besides Horvat and Pearson in a good way. Overall we definitely need the 2018-20 Petey back but I think he's getting there, his lack of success in recent games in not for the lack of effort. 

He hasn't had success in over two years!   This isn't a blip he's in.  It's a Loui Player Name type pattern we're seeing.

56 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

That's about as a stupid thing i've seen. Our guys can leave CAR holding their head high knowing they don't have to do anything as ridiculous as that .... "don't get hurt!! "  well face palm.    CAR - welcome to Quebec!  

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Me either, but I dunno

Nashville's been good this year too, one of the hottest teams in the league right now

7-2-1 in their last 10 

Oh no !   Don't we play them on Tuesday?   Does that mean an automatic fifth straight loss?

Edited by RU SERIOUS

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So....how long is the time period when every loss on a team is the fault of the previous coach? :lol:

This season will always be on Green don’t kid yourself.

The damage he’s done with his inexperience, poor systems, and attitude of making excuses has been ingrained in this team.

You really think Boudreau can undo what Green did in the previous 4 years in a month? :picard:

He came in with positivity and a new perspective which the team fed off for a bit. But as we see as soon as they hit some adversity they fall apart again. That’s Green (and Benning) and their failure to establish  and identity and a strong leadership group with this team.

Bruce is just trying to work his way through that right now.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm losing confidence every game.   Under Green he had his best years lol.   Coaching is no longer (and never should have been) and excuse.   Motte is already passing him in even strength goals and points ... 

I won’t lose confidence until a ways into next season.  I think this year is lost for him and he needs a full reset in the summer.  If the Sedins want to have full value to the organization they should be spending a full summer training with him.  If you look at their bodies the first couple years in the league and then 10 years in….it was startling.

Not much to be done about it now. We can’t exactly trade him for a better #1 Centre.  His trade value would be suppressed right now, with a good chance of him getting better again.

• Cheers 1

Changes are a comin'. This road trip was the litmus test on what happens with the Canucks. A 3-game winless streak so far on this trip makes me think playoffs is no longer realistic, and certain players will be moved.  Some players just aren't doing enough and I'm looking forward to when they'll actually start making moves to improve the team. 

Maybe once they start wheeling and dealing and acquiring more picks, the 2022 Draft will be a great one for VAN? 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

lol, you're not going to get a reasonable response here. There are some fans on here that are very desperately trying to make the Canucks better than they are by blaming everything on Green. It's pretty comical the lengths they go to because as you point out, they're not even there, they can't know the things they pretend to claim. Trust me it's not worth the time to expect anything reasonable.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, thrago said:

What do we do wait till he has no value?  He has gotten worse every year he has played.

Ep has no positive trade value at this point due to his new contract

Trading him would only net.us cap.space with nothing of value in return. It is not the time to trade him at all

This has spanned 2 seasons so can't be considered a slump.... but he has had good nhl level success so skills are not the issue.

I just hope they can get to the actual issue be it confidence , anxiety , a former injury or illness what ever it is.... and get him back on back on track

Maybe it's finding the right player fir him.... what ever it is 

Unlike players that go completely bust EP does not fit that mold. He is not a one season and done and has had excellent nhl level.success so it's not a case of junior star that never makes the big jump

The only players that they should consider trading are those that don't fit rhe team going forward or pending UFA's they don't intent on signing or that have said they want to move on .....asset management which we didn't have under Benning 

I agree many of the teams problems flow from green and Benning but not all. There are a few players that probably shouldn't be here and a few additional we need to fill out the team

In a cap world.it takes are years to make those changes.

Edited by iwtl

17 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Oh no !   Don't we play them on Tuesday?   Does that mean an automatic fifth straight loss?

I was talking about teams that might stack up against Tampa, Carolina, and Florida if they were to make the final, not about the Canucks. But go off I guess?

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, iwtl said:

Ep has no positive trade value at this point due to his new contract

Trading him would only net.us cap.space with nothing of value in return. It is not the time to Reade him at all

This has spanned 2 seasons so can't be considered a slump.... but he has had good nhl level success so skills are not the issue.

I just hope they can get to the actual issue be it confidence , anxiety , a former injury or illness what ever it is.... and get him back on back on track

Maybe it's finding the right player fir him.... what ever it is 

Unlike players that go completely bust EP does not fit that mold. He is not a one season and done and has had excellent nhl level.success so it's not a case of junior star that never makes the big jump

The only players that they should consider trading are those that don't fit rhe team going forward or pending UFA's they don't intent on signing or that have said they want to move on .....asset management which we didn't have under Benning 

I agree many of the teams problems flow from green and Benning but not all. There are a few players that probably shouldn't be here and a few additional we need to fill out the team

In a cap world.it takes are years to make those changes.

...but don't you think it might be better to offload $7,500,000.00 to get a very good player "NOW" rather than wait 6-9 years to maybe/possibly see him develop into a better player like the Sedins?  That amount of Cap space freed up NOW would open up major possibilities for us - Sooner rather than Later.   

Just now, shiznak said:

Even though Green has been fired for well over a month. He’s still being blamed for losses. :lol:

Because it is going to take years to undo the damage caused by his gross incompetence, nepotism, and extreme character issues.  A lot of our core have never played under actual NHL coaching until Boudreau was hired; this is going to take some time.

• Cheers 1