The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Patrik Allvin as GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Patrik Allvin as GM  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

For those who whine and cry about trading 1st round picks. Look above. It works if done right. I would trade our next 10 first round picks if JR brings us a Cup.

Time and place for everything, even with Sidney Crosby, Penns didn't start the consident trend of trading their first rounders till like 2013, 8 years after drafting their generational talent. They still had to stock the cupboards before making a push. And they were securely making playoffs consistently when they were trading those picks.

Benning was emptying the cupboards at an alarming rate as soon as he hit on Hughes and Petey just to try and trading 1sts to try and claw our way out of the bottom 10 in standings. It was in no way sustainable in the long run.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To paraphrase the late, great Meatloaf, "One out of three is....not great"

So because it's not "perfect to your standards" it's not great?

You guys whining about all this need to learn how business happens. Buddies or not they literally just joined the organization. We don't even know why they're buddles. They could be buddies because they might actually be competent at what they do. If you were in this position would you prefer to hire someone you know who can do a good job or hire someone who might do a good job that you sort of know?

So can we at least give the benefit of the doubt and see what comes out of this 1st rather than getting our panties in a knot before even so much as a single transaction takes place?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Problem with the bolded is that it's merely an assumption being made to reinforce blind faith. It could be said about literally any choice that Rutherford could have made. All we have to go on are the resumes of those involved and the odds that the best person for the job just so happened to be the guy Rutherford had worked with before.

I don't have blind faith, I just like what I see in the people hired. I also don't see the basis for criticism yet, just based on having worked together. That seems kind of a silly thing to focus on, imo. Would we care if Yzerman brought along someone he worked well with?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

JR saying there are some difficult decisions to make. To me, this means trades. Who's the first to go?  I'm undecided if it'll be Boeser or Horvat. I am looking forward to the changes though, this roster still has Benning all over it.

For me I don't care who goes, it is more about who comes back.

Trade anyone.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

JR saying there are some difficult decisions to make. To me, this means trades. Who's the first to go?  I'm undecided if it'll be Boeser or Horvat. I am looking forward to the changes though, this roster still has Benning all over it.

Miller most likely. What’s the point in holding onto him? This team as constructed isn’t going anywhere.

18 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Time and place for everything, even with Sidney Crosby, Penns didn't start the consident trend of trading their first rounders till like 2013, 8 years after drafting their generational talent. They still had to stock the cupboards before making a push. And they were securely making playoffs consistently when they were trading those picks.

Benning was emptying the cupboards at an alarming rate as soon as he hit on Hughes and Petey just to try and trading 1sts to try and claw our way out of the bottom 10 in standings. It was in no way sustainable in the long run.

Petey is not even a hit yet. He is a smart player and thinks the game well but his skating is OK and his strength leaves a lot to be desired. Hughes is the real  deal. This club was not even close to being ready for a playoff push. I think we are years away.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Might be good to have one veteran leader who stays a constant through the years.

He’s the only player of worth where you could change your franchise and fix holes that need to be filled. Getting a draft pick and a rh dman is something that the organization needs to fix. He’s really the only player who can do that. I know people don’t want to rebuild but if this franchise is serious about wanting to win the cup, it needs to be done. None of this cutting corners we have seen. Look how many wasted years have gone by when the organization cuts corners.It’s proven it doesn’t work. Plus Miller isn’t going to want to stay if they just flounder like the organization has for a lot of years. He will just walk.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, Provost said:

And yet the coaching staff before Green and new coaches aren’t able to get different results either…

Just talking about, Bennings' tenure.

Unless, you're watching recordings of the Canucks under Green, the team has obviously played a lot better - as a team and outside, of the covid protocol affecting the roster - the team is still able to get points.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

The poll should add another answer - I don't know.

For those of us that have neither positive or negative opinions on the hiring of Rutherford, or his signings. 

I think I'll wait and see how things go from now until after the draft.

• Cheers 3

Communication, communication, communication.  THAT is the main underlying theme JR has brought in to the hockey ops.  All his hires are above average communicators.... A major attribute within all 3 hires skill sets.  This to me, will make the biggest foundational impact to the overall improved culture in the canucks organization.  I am encouraged.  Will be a fun ride... Big changes a comin'!!!

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JBs' biggest mistake was, he chose the wrong coaches for his roster.  Hoping JR, would look into re evaluating the crew, in Abby when it comes to developing prospects.

I don't think it was the "wrong coaches". I think it was more knowing when to change coaches. People seem to want to talk like Green was bad right from the beginning. He wasn't. I remember the 1st 2 years of him here people were praising him on this board left right and center. Saying he was the wrong coach is nothing more than an attempt at rewriting the past to something that simply wasn't the case.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Wonder if Podkolzin and Höglander won't be heading to the AHL to further their development.   Höglander will become waiver eligible in 45 games - early next season if he spends the rest of the season in the NHL.

During the 2017 finals, RDS or TVA showed that 80% of the roster on Pittsburgh/Nashville had played at least 40 games in the AHL.  Guerin, who looks to have brought a lot of concepts from Pittsburgh, insists that development happens in the AHL - says they don't want guys to just make the NHL but to become difference makers and they need that development time.

Boldy could have made the team at the start of the season but instead they demoted him until he gave them no choice but to promote him as he has outplayed the AHL.  He's on PP1, out late to try and get the tying goal, in OT and plays over 17 minutes a night - those are deserved minutes.  Small sample but he has looked incredible and so much more impactful than in pre-season.

Contrast that with Podkolzin and Höglander and got to wonder if having them on the main roster in some secondary role is the best approach for their development.  

• Upvote 2

One would think the Twins had something to do with this besides his track record with GMJR eh? I feel like folks like Burke, Mellons and J. Botts were just as capable, but I trust JRs instinct and track record. One would think his long tenure in the league would make him old-school and set in his ways, but it is obvious he is much more open-minded than many others in leadership. I am pretty stoked to see the direction we are headed. 

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou
Typo

9 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Might be good to have one veteran leader who stays a constant through the years.

I see your argument but maybe this management group wants to see Pettersson, Hughes and Demko be the veteran leadership to take this team forward.  They never had a window to be the super talented but inexpensive supporting cast for another core since they weren't surrounded by sufficiently good players.

Horvat may be the guy who bridges the "veteran" gap for now if Pettersson, Hughes and Demko aren't quite up to it but I think part of the question is whether management believes he should be the guy.  Miller might be retained but as others have stated, he's worth so much right now that it makes a lot of sense to acquire helpful pieces by trading him.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

I have a great idea! let's all assume the absolute worst about all of these hires, extend the benefit of the doubt to precisely no one, and heavily scrutinize every single tiny little scrap of information that we can get our hands on.

f***in' cdc. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

For those who whine and cry about trading 1st round picks. Look above. It works if done right. I would trade our next 10 first round picks if JR brings us a Cup.

Yup window is supposed to be open, move picks to build around what we got 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't think it was the "wrong coaches". I think it was more knowing when to change coaches. People seem to want to talk like Green was bad right from the beginning. He wasn't. I remember the 1st 2 years of him here people were praising him on this board left right and center. Saying he was the wrong coach is nothing more than an attempt at rewriting the past to something that simply wasn't the case.

Speak for yourself, right from the outset I was talking about how this team's style under Greener was not sustainable or a recipe for success. I said way back during that playoff run "we go as far as Marky and Demko carry us." The team's style was always atrocious. But between Tanev, Edler and Marky they could steal some games. Also the covid stoppage saved us from free falling outta the playoffs that year. I was never team Greener, I always said give em a chance. But I never praised his style. Nor did anyone else really. I never seen much, I seen wait and see people. But very few people if any were praising him as a hockey mind behind the bench.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't think it was the "wrong coaches". I think it was more knowing when to change coaches. People seem to want to talk like Green was bad right from the beginning. He wasn't. I remember the 1st 2 years of him here people were praising him on this board left right and center. Saying he was the wrong coach is falsely rewriting the past to something that simply wasn't the case.

I get it and it was a general statement based on the end results, for both coaches.  If you want to get into the nitty gritty of finding some positives for Greens, tenure then I agree but JB wasn't going to fire after, Green after his the blip, that was his third season.

Not sure what you meant by re writing history but the way he ended, his tenure only confirmed his overall record.

Edited by ShawnAntoski