The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

You're not getting Schneider and a 1st for Garland

That 1st would likely be in the 26+ range. Garland has 4.5 seasons left on his contract and is only 25. Schneider could become a solid top 4 dman but he could just as easily be a bottom pairing dman. 

I saw on HFboards a Columbus fan being interested in Garland. We want RHD or a top Center prospect. Right now they have the Blackhawks 8th overall pick. Would you make the trade if they gave it up no protection on the pick? Or if they saw a good chance to select a dman high in this draft and decided maybe they don’t like Boqvist’s injury history. Would people do a Garand for Boqvist trade? Would they do that trade?

24 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Friedman mentioned NJ as a possible landing spot for Garland.

I’ll do Garland for Sharangovich, straight up.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sharangovich would be a nice for on the 3rd line guy, but I think Garland is worth a little more than that.

Shara + Bahl...?

• Vintage 1

I think these rumours would have popped up. Regardless of who the prez and GM are. It’s inevitable. Easy pickings. I would not be surprised if someone was moved before summer but I’d take a lot of this with a grain of salt 

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sharangovich would be a nice for on the 3rd line guy, but I think Garland is worth a little more than that.

3rd line guy?

He’s been playing in a top 6 role for NJ since entering the league, and can play all three forward positions. He has the potential to be offensively better than Garland.

29 minutes ago, shiznak said:

3rd line guy?

He’s been playing in a top 6 role for NJ since entering the league, and can play all three forward positions. He has the potential to be offensively better than Garland.

depending on who was left I guess.  I'm not sure I'd see him supplanting hogz or podz right away, but depends on chemistry too.  I wouldn't be against it, but I think Garland would be worth more, maybe a 2nd on top of that.  It would be an intriguing move, for sure. 

If a deal is made with a team out of the playoffs, I could see that being a draft day move rather than the deadline

55 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

The problem with trading Garland is that he's a really good young player on a good contract. Isn't that exactly what we want on our team?

he is, that's why it would have to be an overpayment.  It also sounds like maybe the new brass isn't as high on him as JB was and might be looking to get bigger.

5 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

So are you saying if we had Myers, Poolman, Hamonic and Burroughs (by the way those guys wouldn't even all be playing if available) we would have scored a goal? Because the problem wasn't our defensive game or play from our back end....the problem is we couldn't score any goals. I don't see the logic or relevance of missing those guys and us creating zero offense. If we let in 7 goals then that's a different argument. We were shut out, I'm not sure those guys would have played a big role in changing that lol.

No what I meant to say is that the team might've realized that they're extremely undermanned on the back end and overcompensated by playing more defensively. 

Either way Calgary was the better team and we were lucky to get a point. Calgary just came off puting up 60 shots on Columbus, they're on fire. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You've never heard of Schneider?  Chytll I could see, but schneidef was a key piece for team Canada at the WJHC.  Chytil was also a key member of the Czech Republican WJHC team........Schneider drafted #19 in 2020, Chytil #21in 2017

Thanks stawns, what little I know of players like these I have learned from this forum.

I was surprised that the poster I was chatting with thought that Chytil was the only difference between what we would receive for Miller than what we would receive from Garland.

I see that several posters have questioned their idea that Garland would get both Schneider and a 1st.

What do you think, would Garland get you Schneider, or what might it take?

Thanks again.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Thanks stawns, what little I know of players like these I have learned from this forum.

I was surprised that the poster I was chatting with thought that Chytil was the only difference between what we would receive for Miller than what we would receive from Garland.

I see that several posters have questioned their idea that Garland would get both Schneider and a 1st.

What do you think, would Garland get you Schneider, or what might it take?

Thanks again.

I don't think Garland gets them Schneider, no.  I think they'd only trade Schneider in a deal for a true difference maker.  I love Garland, but he's not a difference maker in the way that Miller is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Garland being traded means we are going full rebuild. Hopefully this doesn’t happen.

I don't think we are gonna rebuild. Contrary to what some ppl think, this team is gonna slowly retool. They'll sell off players like Miller, but will try to push for the playoffs if possible, without paying much.

Of course, some ppl will prefer to think that we are completely &^@#ed for the future.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Garland being traded means we are going full rebuild. Hopefully this doesn’t happen.

Nope. Full rebuild would be moving Pettersson, Demko, Hughes and Horvat. Given that's not happening, regardless of who we move, it won't be a "full rebuild".

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

garland for Damon severson and 2022nd is a realistic trade, severson plays RHD, they have Dougie Hamilton, he is 27, 1 yr left at good contract, the age/contract situation for both players means NJD adds a high 2nd this year

I like Severson but that doesn't seem to match management's stated goals of getting younger, faster and cheaper. Garland for Sharangovich and Bahl does though.

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No what I meant to say is that the team might've realized that they're extremely undermanned on the back end and overcompensated by playing more defensively. 

Either way Calgary was the better team and we were lucky to get a point. Calgary just came off puting up 60 shots on Columbus, they're on fire. 

Oh I see, good point - Bruce likely had them gameplan for that for sure and simplify things a bit. I'm surprised we held them to 1 to be honest, they are a good team.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

of course "they could do it," because garland is a good player on pace for 22 goals, lol, he is arguably a 1st liner - as 22 of his 24 points are even strength lol. The question for him, miller, bossier yah da yah da is, of the available returns on the market, is there something that makes sense for the canucks.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Schneider could become a solid top 4 dman but he could just as easily be a bottom pairing dman. 

Recently he's playing top 4 minutes on one of the best teams in the league.  When he isn't pushed down the rotation due to depth, he's playing exactly the type of game he was supposed to be able to play when he was drafted 19th overall, and he's still only 20yo with barely 30 games of pro-hockey under his belt.  Really, the only NHL defencemen his own age who are averaging more ice time than Schneider in recent games are Drysdale and Seider. 

People have speculated on this thread several times about the 'risk' in Schneider developing, but I suggest that isn't a concern whatsoever.

If JR/Allvin could acquire Schneider as one of the key pieces in a Miller and/or Garland deal I'd say that would be a step in the right direction for this franchise.  Imagine a Huggy/Schneider pairing anchoring the defence in Vancouver for the next decade? 

No one is saying losing Miller/Garland wouldn't hurt in the short-term - but what would we really hope to accomplish in the short-term with these two on the roster vs. what could be build moving forward with a player like Schneider and additional young elite asset(s) in the deal? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3