The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Tyler Toffoli to Flames for Tyler Pitlick, Emil Heineman, 2022 1st-round pick, 2024 5th-round pick

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

True, Allvin is a new GM with a new team, under the veteran Rutherford. He might be very careful about any moves he makes. JR has an open approach to his managers, everyone's opinion matters, and should speak up, and I wonder if this will cause roadblocks making some moves, difference of opinions.

I think VAN will become a contender a lot faster than MTL.  They're a real mess. 

With the Habs & Gorton - we only have what he did with the Rangers, as reference and what Drury, inherited from his regime.  Imo, Gorton is somewhat similar to Sakic - they are both reluctant to trade there 1st vs what JR & crew did in Pittsburgh.  Ofcourse, the context of wanting to support a still competitive, Crosby core has to be acknowledge - but there drafting past the first round (which they didn't have most years) was comparable to Gillis or atrocious.

They said, all the right things, in there pressers and on a more recent, interview with JR: HE CONFIRMED A(NOTHER) RE TOOL, IS COMING; and I get it cause there are already some good pieces, on the roster.   I ask again, given there past history with there clubs and can't ignore JRs' resume: which team becomes a contender first - the Habs with there rebuild, during TWO DEEP DRAFTS or the Canucks' re tool ?   

JR has a great resume and with it, I am willing to give the new crew some slack but I am also, expecting a lot.  Cautiously optimistic, Allvin can deliver.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One could argue that settling for mediocrity sends the wrong message too. They're a long shot any way you spin it, and if we hold on to high value assets and miss that's just another season they've missed out on the playoffs with a fringe playoff team. 

It'd be one more season Horvat and Miller miss out as Canucks, and one season closer to them being ufa's. If you want to keep Horvat, and I think he's the guy to retain, show him you're serious about making the team better in the long term by making the hard choices needed to bolster other areas of the roster. 

At some point the cycle of mediocrity has to be broken.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, khay said:

$hit. We have to face him for the next 3 years?

Calgary will trade him, when they start to regress, in the next year or so.  Lots of important FA's, coming due on there roster with little cap.

Canucks should trade, for there first next year - Pearson for next year's first ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

29 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If this is what Toffoli got Montreal, then:

NYR

Miller

VAN

Lafreniere

Schneider

Chytil

1st ‘22

We can even retain 50% on Miller for that return.

Also, part of the reason why Tofu got so much is probably because he can be easily flipped to another team next season to recoup assets back for the Flames. Miller probably won't be flipped again so maybe we won't get as much as we think.

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If this is what Toffoli got Montreal, then:

NYR

Miller

VAN

Lafreniere

Schneider

Chytil

1st ‘22

I would add to our package if it meant prying Laf AND Schneider out of NYR... Motte and a prospect/pick would be fine IMO

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, khay said:

It's a little ironic that all three guys, Tofu, Tanman, Marky, that Benning gets crucified for letting walk all ended up on Calgary.

I sense Calgary going on a playoff run this year. I hope I'm wrong.

There is enough old Canucks on the Flamers that I could mistakenly cheer for them if I had 'shotgunned' to many #18 replays. The world is upside down!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There is enough old Canucks on the Flamers that I could mistakenly cheer for them if I had 'shotgunned' to many #18 replays. The world is upside down!

Ya. Situations like this I never really now how I'm cheering till the games are on. I imagine once I see the Flames car flags in Ktown I will cheer against the them.. But really my hatred for the Leafs, Oilers, Flames always comes through. Yip, even as I type, F the Flames. Lol.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If that’s the return for Toffoli who’s having a crappy year then Miller better fetch us Lafreniere Schneider ++

I want Laff and Schneider if this the type of deadline it’s going to be this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, grouse747 said:

one big difference between Toffoli and Miller....... Toffoli is a few years further away from RFA... he is under contract much longer than JTM.... both players are very cap-friendly numbers right now

1 year difference... and uhh... he is a UFA, just like Miller.

Edited by HKSR
  • Vintage 1