The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators shopping Filip Forsberg

41 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I agree, but I don’t.   
The Miller return should net us close to what we need to complete our current 8 year rebuild.  2-3 more solid pieces for the future.  
Bringing in Forsberg keeps us at least at the level we were at to end the season.  
That feels like the beginning of a lot of playoff runs. 

An 8 year plan eh?

If you think Miller returns will put us over the top, you’re highly mistaken.

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

An 8 year plan eh?

If you think Miller returns will put us over the top, you’re highly mistaken.

We are on at least year 8 by now.  

And did I say that?   
No.  
I said with Forsberg, we continue where we left off last season, which is pretty damn close to a playoff team.  
That plus the additions from the Miller trade growing the next couple years, we will be a consistent playoff team.  

Did you not read what I wrote, or are you purposely being obtuse?

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I think the two year window that mgmt has labelled for contention is going to play a huge part in whom we might be able to retain in the future. 

as another poster mentioned, our core group wants to be legitimately in the hunt/contend. 

considering when contracts are coming up, I honestly believe that we immediately have to build around that young core now and take another step as early as next season to convince some of these players that this club is where they should be re-upping.

Forsberg would fit oh so well in the top 6  and as a whole with our Swedish mafia. 
personally, if there is no deal to be reached between him and NSH, if I’m PA/JR I’m heavily pursuing trade. Sign him to an extension, then utilize this coming season with JTM at his steal of a cap hit to judge progression. If there isn’t, you move JTM at the deadline for the required assets that the core would would accept as a necessary step to integrate and move forward. 

by doing this, you have Forsberg already signed as a JTM replacement if necessary as a vet to help the group along and mentor EP that much more.

yes another gamble, but it would show a real commitment to the group and Bruce that mgmt expects to build off recent success and take this team forward.

essentially it puts the onus on the players. and the best part, with a few guys approaching their contract re-ups, that $ motivation could potentially garner career years from a few guys, which translated should also be realized in our place in the final standings.

I would offer Boeser, Rathbone (if valued by Poile) and Hoglander to bring in Forsberg and establish a monster top 6.

that’s a lot to give, but it’ll take a lot to land Forsberg, even at a contract stalemate and threat to walk. 

just my EA sports NHL 23 style proposal but doing that and moving out some dead cap and installing value in those spots could really push this team into accurate crosshairs of success or rebuild. at the very least, it’s an honest transfer of responsibility onto this core group to prove they should remain intact or at least re-establish the desire to re-sign with this club.

again, subtract the Travis Green era to begin this past season, and average out those games imagining Bruce at the helm, and that is an indicator of where this team could have ended up. A true playoff contending club. To be that close and tear down is kind of foolish. I think this is the year we should be going balls out. Next year’s draft is deep. If we don’t make any headway this season, and we aren’t in the upper echelon of standings, tear it apart at the deadline and take those picks for next years draft. JTM (and Forsberg) should even fetch you a significant return then too pending what teams are playoff bound and their needs. The Rags or Pens could have really used Miller these past playoffs. It’s not like the market will entirely dry up for players of their caliber. If anything, it gets even hotter and teams make pretty good sacrifices for immediate returns.  

I still think it's too early, and I'm still on the trade Miller train so it's not as if the two would play together if I had my way anyway.

This team needs help on D, that's what we should be prioritizing. Build from the net out instead of chasing big dollar free agent forwards. We're pretty tight capwise right now, I don't see a scenario where we bring in Forsberg and effectively bolster our D unless we're moving out significant money.

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

I agree, but I don’t.   
The Miller return should net us close to what we need to complete our current 8 year rebuild.  2-3 more solid pieces for the future.  
Bringing in Forsberg keeps us at least at the level we were at to end the season.  
That feels like the beginning of a lot of playoff runs. 

Dunno, if I'm beginning to question Bo's long term fit depending on what he wants in a contract Forsberg also falls into that territory, and given what Bo for us as a center I'd be more inclined to keep him than grab Forsberg at what he'll cost to reel in as a UFA. 

I think it should be at least a few seasons before we try going after big fish, let's unravel Benning's mess first and see where we're at in our turnaround a little further down the road. Hughes is locked up, Pettersson's the next big young question mark and he'll still be an RFA. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still think it's too early, and I'm still on the trade Miller train so it's not as if the two would play together if I had my way anyway.

This team needs help on D, that's what we should be prioritizing. Build from the net out instead of chasing big dollar free agent forwards. We're pretty tight capwise right now, I don't see a scenario where we bring in Forsberg and effectively bolster our D unless we're moving out significant money.

Dunno, if I'm beginning to question Bo's long term fit depending on what he wants in a contract Forsberg also falls into that territory, and given what Bo for us as a center I'd be more inclined to keep him than grab Forsberg at what he'll cost to reel in as a UFA. 

I think it should be at least a few seasons before we try going after big fish, let's unravel Benning's mess first and see where we're at in our turnaround a little further down the road. Hughes is locked up, Pettersson's the next big young question mark and he'll still be an RFA. 

Boeser out equals somewhere between 6-7.5 mill so there’s a big chunk of Forsberg’s salary (who is also far more a compete player).

if we could or have to move out the usual suspects - Myers, Dickinson, Poolman, even retain on OEL, we then have a fair bit of cap with which to restructure the D, imho. A cap balanced back end would be ideal. I don’t think we would create too many deficiencies 

we would still have assets like Garland to try lateral swaps for guys like Marino. 
we then open up some slots in bottom 6 for the gritty 2 way guys that play above their pay grade. Guys like Dermott on D who belong in the NHL and aren’t considered liabilities. 

this affords Podz some consistent TOI in the top 6 which is what he needs to improve, and the requisite talent surrounding him to help him get there. 

we now have Kuz for a year who could be top 6 or 3rd line. Too early to say. 

Anyway we do have options and I think it’s possible to take one more stab with most of this current roster.

I would also LOVE to see us build up even more on our youth and obtain active key pieces for the future.

I just feel this team as it mostly is has some real unfinished business together. 

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Boeser out equals somewhere between 6-7.5 mill so there’s a big chunk of Forsberg’s salary (who is also far more a compete player).

if we could or have to move out the usual suspects - Myers, Dickinson, Poolman, even retain on OEL, we then have a fair bit of cap with which to restructure the D, imho. A cap balanced back end would be ideal. I don’t think we would create too many deficiencies 

we would still have assets like Garland to try lateral swaps for guys like Marino. 
we then open up some slots in bottom 6 for the gritty 2 way guys that play above their pay grade. Guys like Dermott on D who belong in the NHL and aren’t considered liabilities. 

this affords Podz some consistent TOI in the top 6 which is what he needs to improve, and the requisite talent surrounding him to help him get there. 

we now have Kuz for a year who could be top 6 or 3rd line. Too early to say. 

Anyway we do have options and I think it’s possible to take one more stab with most of this current roster.

I would also LOVE to see us build up even more on our youth and obtain active key pieces for the future.

I just feel this team as it mostly is has some real unfinished business together. 

I realize points aren’t the only metric by which to measure a player, but for what it’s worth, Forsberg’s production isn’t actually as much higher than Brock’s as I thought it would be. 

Forsberg career 

gpg: .388

apg: .439

Boeser career

gpg:  .373

apg: .415

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I realize points aren’t the only metric by which to measure a player, but for what it’s worth, Forsberg’s production isn’t actually as much higher than Brock’s as I thought it would be. 

Forsberg career 

Boeser career

Very true, but to me it’s more about bang for the buck, and all around FF is more dynamic. Maybe just a personal bias.

That said, I do wonder if his current production is sustainable. 

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Forsberg career 

Boeser career

So statistically, they're quite similar. But is Brock worth the 7.5M QO, compared to what Forsberg would be asking on the open market? 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Now that I think of it, Nashville is a phenomenal trading partner. A return including Carrier, Trenin (one HEAVY mofo) and a high pick is something that I am currently salivating over...

They are in what Poile calls a competitive rebuild/transition to get younger.  Their President in his letter to season ticket holders:  "Rest assured, we are not chasing the Nashville Predators teams of 2017 and 2018. We are moving ahead, forging a new identity and we are proud to report significant progress in our competitive rebuild."

Doubt they would be moving key young players or high draft picks for Miller - Kunin, Tolvanen could use a change of scenery but not Carrier/Fabbro who are top-4 Ds for them or Trenin who plays on their identity line.

They moved Ellis for youth and Arvidsson for draft picks.  Ekholm and Granlund only got 4 years contract - can't see Miller going for that either.  Poile always talks about father time being undefeated.  He was worried that Ellis was signed for too long after all.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Hard pass on forsberg.. he’s going to be shooting for the moon on a max term 7 year contract prolly looking for 9 and up.. for his career year.. he never was a PPG guy until this year and this guy is injury prone.. he missed close to 70 games the last 5 seasons combined.. missing no less than 10 games per season with the exception of the COVID paused season which he was close to missing 10.. 

way too big of a risk on forsberg on a max term big money contract as he could revert back to his 60-70 points or even 50-60 after factoring in the usual 10+ game he misses per season almost guaranteed. 

Seravalli says he was told that Forsberg is asking in the low 8's - well below Josi's 9M.  

Poile says they made him an 8 year offer and that they are not close.   He talked of how Landeskog went to free agency only to go back and sign with Colorado.  That's not technically possible though, as he got an 8 x 7M and once free agency opens up it can only be a 7 year contract.

Say 8.25M x 8 years - is about 9.4M on a 7 year deal.  The other way round:  8.25M on a 7 year deal is 7.2M on an 8 year deal so maybe Nashville is thinking more in the mid' 7s than the low 8s.  

Might be the NMC also the issue.  Ellis tried hard to get one and Poile refused.  He took a team-friendly deal only to be traded 2 years into his deal to Philadelphia.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

To be clear, they are shopping his rights.

A 3rd or later pick or B level prospect in order to get a chance at negotiating with him early and the ability to add an 8th year of term.

If we moved Miller and/or Boeser this would be an excellent target for signing.