The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I guess my point is that they are probably valuing them higher than their worth. I think they'd be more open to moving their 1st than those guys.

While I'd like to squeeze them for all they're worth, it's Tyler Myers, so if we can get a 1st for him, I'd gladly take it and run. My proposal lands a formerly highly drafted dman along with the 1st and a mid prospect. I'd be ecstatic if we got that return.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely take a 1st and run. Hell, I'd sell them Myers at 50%+Schenn while taking Muzzin back if we could figure out the moving pieces coming back and get a 1st+. 

Toronto desperately want to succeed, we need to stop being sentimental and get value for veterans and restock the cupboards. Moving Myers and Schenn also helps us bottom out this season, fill their spots with in-house guys or players we get back. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Schenn is an expiring contract and I'd consider moving him at the TDL for the highest bidder if we are truly out of the playoff race. In the meantime, he's cheap, provides leadership and protects our young guys.

I think TO would almost rather keep Muzzin for the LTIR that they can use.

If TO is desperate to make a move now, they can have Myers for whatever we can take from them. No need to give them Schenn. Even if we get a small return for Schenn at the TDL, I'm fine with that and if he likes it here, I'd even try to sign him back for cheap again.

I understand what you're saying and if they indeed want to overpay for Schenn to be included, then I'm game. But I just think that Schenn is the type of guy that is great to have around the young guys of the group if the plan is to get much younger.

I agree that Schenn is worth keeping around and understand why people would like to keep him, but at 33 I also recognize he's likely not a long-term asset anyway. If he stays and extends for a reasonable price cool, but I'd absolutely be willing to ship him out to the first team who offered us good value. 

Hypothetically... to buy Myers out next summer would still cost us 5.3+ million in cap space next season. He's only due 1 million salary next season after we pay his 5 million signing bonus, so next summer he's really pretty easy to move to someone like Arizona who is looking for the cheapest way to eat up cap space for the next 2 seasons.

So...IF Toronto wanted him.

To Toronto:

Myers 2 million retained, they "should" have enough LTIR with Muzzin on LTIR

To Vancouver:

Niemela (currently playing in Finland) RD

2023 3rd round pick (from Ottawa)

OR since Muzzin is a RD

To Toronto:

OEL 2 Million retained (Yes, I know he would have to waive)

To Vancouver:

I'd actually rather move OEL if we could. We need to completely reconstruct our defense, we have too much salary eaten on the Left side.

Would like to see us keep:

Hughes (untouchable)

Bear (So far, he's not bad, deserves rest of the season to show)

Schenn (I'd extended him for another season)

Burroughs (7th D)

Rathbone (on the fence on him right now, he's struggling to take the next step)

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hypothetically... to buy Myers out next summer would still cost us 5.3+ million in cap space next season. He's only due 1 million salary next season after we pay his 5 million signing bonus, so next summer he's really pretty easy to move to someone like Arizona who is looking for the cheapest way to eat up cap space for the next 2 seasons.

So...IF Toronto wanted him.

To Toronto:

Myers 2 million retained, they "should" have enough LTIR with Muzzin on LTIR

To Vancouver:

OR since Muzzin is a RD

To Toronto:

OEL 2 Million retained (Yes, I know he would have to waive)

To Vancouver:

I'd actually rather move OEL if we could. We need to completely reconstruct our defense, we have too much salary eaten on the Left side.

Would like to see us keep:

Hughes (untouchable)

Bear (So far, he's not bad, deserves rest of the season to show)

Schenn (I'd extended him for another season)

Burroughs (7th D)

Rathbone (on the fence on him right now, he's struggling to take the next step)

No one on this team is untouchable for the right price.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

If there is any chance to get a first for OEL do the freaking deal instantly...

I was hoping for a second or a very late first at TDL for Myers with salary retention... so please get him moved.

Big help in rebuilding the D right there, ahead of time even.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No one on this team is untouchable for the right price.

I agree in general, but I don't see anyone putting up the assets necessary to get us to move Pettersson or Hughes although I could be really tempted to swap Hughes for Dobson and get our RD anchor since that's harder to find than an solid LD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Myers, while a competent 2nd pair RHD on his own

Never has been true, no matter how many times you say it in an attempt to wish it into existence. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

competent 2nd pair RHD on his own, doesn't play well with either of our top 4 LHD

Because this is pretty much an oxymoron.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree in general, but I don't see anyone putting up the assets necessary to get us to move Pettersson or Hughes although I could be really tempted to swap Hughes for Dobson and get our RD anchor since that's harder to find than an solid LD.

I like the way you think.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Never has been true, no matter how many times you say it in an attempt to wish it into existence. 

Because this is pretty much an oxymoron.

You do grasp that complementary skill sets and chemistry are a thing, right? It's really astounding how all these "scrubs" that move on from the Canucks, keep having success elsewhere when actually put in positions to succeed, in roles that suit them, with team mates they work with. Almost like there's something to cohesiveness in a team sport. 

Weird.

Hell, even you're favourite whipping boy Gudbranson, found success being put in the right situation in Calgary last year. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

OEL with $297,634 retained for Nylander and a 2025 1st?

Could Bruce motivate him to work harder?

Dubas would probably get fired right after the trade lol.

I'm not sure Scotty Bowman could get that lazy floater to care about winning.  Let him rot in Toronto where breaking a sweat is optional.

• There it is 1