Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

21 minutes ago, Devron said:

I actually think our defence would operate and have better structure

Hughes - Schenn

OEL -Bear

Breezer - Burroughs

Obv Management would want Stillman over Breezer for some f’d up reason but you get the point. 

Myers is a square peg. I’ve defended Myers in the past. He’s had good stretches but time to move on 

its really hard to figure out how to move the cap to get Myers to TO. We could retain 1/2... but then we're back to 3 mil in dead cap again next season.

It would certainly make the trade easier, we could do something like Myers 1/2 retained for Holl and Simmonds to balance the cap, and maybe recover that 2024 2nd?

12 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if simmonds was a guy that had to come our way 

Holl + Simmonds would just about fit Myers in Muzzin's available LTIR... We retain ~$500k'ish and it would probably work...

Holl's pretty much useless but expires this year. Simmonds could add some 4th liine grit and also expires this season. Then all we'd have left next year is the pittance of retention (clearing $5m+ of cap).

Do that for something like a 2nd and I'd be pretty happy.

Just now, JM_ said:

its really hard to figure out how to move the cap to get Myers to TO. We could retain 1/2... but then we're back to 3 mil in dead cap again next season.

It would certainly make the trade easier, we could do something like Myers 1/2 retained for Holl and Simmonds to balance the cap, and maybe recover that 2024 2nd?

Just now, aGENT said:

Holl + Simmonds would just about fit Myers in Muzzin's available LTIR... We retain ~$500k'ish and it would probably work...

Holl's pretty much useless but expires this year. Simmonds could add some 4th liine grit and also expires this season. Then all we'd have left next year is the pittance of retention (clearing $5m+ of cap).

Do that for something like a 2nd and I'd be pretty happy.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if simmonds was a guy that had to come our way 

Id hands down do that for Myers. Can't wait to get rid of him.

Loving that other posters are advocating for 

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Bear

Breezer/Bone - Burroughs

Stillman

Swap out Breezer with Dermott when healthy and that's a d-core that will make sound defensive plays and let our forwards be forwards.

I actually like the idea of adding Simmonds, but he's got a 10 team no-trade list. Money comes off the books at the end of the year. He would have to be willing to come here.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

If we can move Myers without it costing us other assets I will be surprised, very pleasantly. He was terrible for us in the bubble playoffs. Couldn’t stay out of the box. 
‘Cap space is most valuable asset in NHL atm. If we can open 4-6M up without costing us a first or second rounder that is a major coup for the so far unimpressive management group. 

Kind of unfair to blame Myers for the refs refusing to conduct themselves like professionals.  Very few of those penalties would be called by honest officials.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

tbh I think Ottawa and TO would be very very interested in TM if there was some degree of salary retention this year, like a 2nd from TO for Myers with 2 mill retained this year. I would take Simmonds back, park him net front on PP2 then flip him at deadline to some contender with injuries, for a 7th??

That would be smart but would the leafs do it?

7 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

tbh I think Ottawa and TO would be very very interested in TM if there was some degree of salary retention this year, like a 2nd from TO for Myers with 2 mill retained this year. I would take Simmonds back, park him net front on PP2 then flip him at deadline to some contender with injuries, for a 7th??

The problem is you can't retain salary for only one year.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

T.O. put Simmons on waivers and there were no takers, much to their disappointment.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

If management wants to make a trade I honestly wish they would make a trade. Tired of leaked reports and speculation dragging names through the media for months on end.

It’s so early in the year I doubt many other teams are as willing (or able) to make a move.  Going to need to be patient.

To gain assets 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why do we do that deal?  

We also gain a depth rhd. He might even be an ok partner for Quinn Hughes if we move Schenn and tank further. Q could probably help hide some of his faults and compliment Quinn in some form. Maybe his games completely fallen off and unsalvagable and that be ok too if we are retooling and shedding that contract.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

I disagreed with your first part. Agreed with your second. He's a perfectly fine 2nd pair D. He's not a fit in OUR top 4 given our other personnel.

Many here can't seem to grasp that both can occur at the same time. Not being a fit with our other top 4 personnel doesn't mean he's not a top 4 D.

Again, pair Myers with a "McNabb" and I doubt many would be complaining about him/the pair. But we don't have a "McNabb" and we're unlikely to get one behind Hughes and OEL. Ergo, he's not a fit here. Doesn't mean he can't be a perfectly capable top 4 D on another team where he's more suited, with an appropriate partner.

There's so much more to building a team than just collecting players. You need an identity, a plan, players who fit that plan, complement eachother etc. A Methot on one team is a depth defensive D. With Karlsson, he's a safety net that lets him soar. You need management that's able to see how pieces actually fit together. It's a TEAM sport.

Okay then we do disagree I don’t know lol.

In my opinion a true top four D is someone who has a baseline effectiveness / level of play that doesn’t matter who their partner is.

I agree in team building, stacking and pairing complimentary skill sets and setting players up to succeed. But I think playing a top four dman with a complementary player stylistically will elevate his partners play not be the criteria to being a fully cable top four dman.  

myers was most successful in Winnipeg on the bottom pairing.

in his time in Vancouver he was forced into top pairing / top 4 match ups because of our lack of depth. He hasn’t ever excelled offensively or defensively on our team.

last year was his best year as a Canuck and it took OEL really covering fro him to get there. 

I think he can be a top 4 d with a perfect partner sure. Maybe Mcnabb or a type like that would be perfect for him. Maybe not. Because under the microscope you watch myers  play and he’s very inconsistent. 

Your point with methot is the same as Schenn with Hughes. And I understand your point.

but they’ve not found a proper fit for Myers in his time here and Winnipeg didn’t really either. He’s also not strong enough offensively to justify covering all of his gaps from his partner especially at his salary level.

we don’t gotta agree.

you think myers is a Bonadife top 4 guy and we just failed in acquiring the right partner for him and I disagree I think he’s A bottom pairing guy who needs a perfect partner to fit into a top 4 guy or can play up in a Pinch (injuries)

also I understand team building / partners. But you also need your top four guys to be capable enough to play a solid game if their perfect complimentary style partner gets hurt and they have to play with the next man up.

like Hughes will still play well with bear or Burroughs on his pairing if schenn got hurt.